• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    I know the thread is old but for future reference.

Even though you may be able to legally conceal carry on your yard. God forbid you have to actually use it, because even standing on your own yard using deadly force could be a very messy situation. Maryland is not a 'Stand Your Ground' state and there is a weak Castle doctrine law in MD because you have a duty to retreat or avoid the danger if within your power to do so, when outside the home (note: IANAL but yard does not equal home).

As a law-abiding American citizen you shouldn't even have to worry about this question.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, using deadly force is always a very messy situation, even inside your home.You could be 100% within the law and still need to mortgage your house to get an acquittal. Unless your a Hopkins Student, in which case the mere threat of Daddy and Mommy funding your bail scares some sense into the DA. If you dont recall what I mean, see here: https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/johns_hopkins_student_from_nj_1.html

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    Well, using deadly force is always a very messy situation, even inside your home.You could be 100% within the law and still need to mortgage your house to get an acquittal. Unless your a Hopkins Student, in which case the mere threat of Daddy and Mommy funding your bail scares some sense into the DA. If you dont recall what I mean, see here: https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/johns_hopkins_student_from_nj_1.html

Thanks for sharing the link, very interesting read and glad the law sided with the JH student. Although I think this story is a bit different from what I'm talking about, because in this story the intruder was inside the other guy's attached garage, so this student had no duty to retreat because he was inside his home. Would be very interesting to see what would have happened if he used a firearm.

As you know other states simply have more legal protections for self-defense with firearms.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    It’s great that when I have a question, typically I can find a thread where it’s already been asked and answered on MDS

I have had the same experience many times too! That's why I try to use the search function before starting a new thread with a question.

Cal68

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    When you see that the person asking it was "Banned", that opens up even more search opportunities. (if you forgot why)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom