• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I have been reading up on it from what I can tell having it removes the limit of buying a regulated firearm every 30 days. I can't really see any other limits or requirements.

Also very critical is it voids out the bits in COMAR 4-203 about to and from the range/gun store/gunsmith/etc. Let's say you pick a buddy up to go to the range (or a MDS shoot across the state). He/She invites you in for dinner and their significant other insists on everybody watching a TV show afterwards...fast forward: it is now midnight and you get pulled over on the way home. Let's say you did something to give the officer probable cause to search your vehicle. There are no ranges around here (that I know of) open near midnight. A reasonable officer would understand the series of events that day - an uninformed/anti- could cause some excitement or at least several hours of delay.

The designated collector status allows you to transport any or all of your collection, pretty much anywhere and anytime you see fit. Hypothetically, if I am taking folks shooting and have several match grade ARs and several bullseye pistol boxes full of lots of paychecks in the vehicle (especially cased long guns in the bed of the truck), I will have insurance. My insurance is to have an unloaded pistol and several loaded 15 rounders inside a closed case on the front seat. I would also keep printed copies of the COMAR 4-203, sections pertaining to removal of restrictions for designated collectors, the MD AG's finding that a loaded magazine does not constitute a loaded weapon, and a copy of my designated collector letter from the MSP right beside my vehicle registration and proof of insurance. This paperwork is not required, but if you need to have a 'teaching moment' on the side of the road, it would sure come in handy.

YMMV. IANAL.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Nanook said:
    Also very critical is it voids out the bits in COMAR 4-203 ...the MD AG's finding that a loaded magazine does not constitute a loaded weapon...

Here's one link to Maryland Criminal Law Section 4-203

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/4-203/

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

This thread in post 46 has the attorney general letter re loaded magazines

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=88464

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The designated collector status allows you to transport any or all of your collection, pretty much anywhere and anytime you see fit...

:thumbsup: Main reason I became a designated collector.

When I was younger, I wouldn't think twice about heading over to a friend's house with my guns, in case we decided to do some impromptu shooting. The laws are such now that it looks like you need to be a designated collector to do this, that is to say transfer your collection to a private exhibit.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    There has been some confusion relating to this issue. Some people say that a "designated collector" and a "bona fide gun collector" are not the same thing in Maryland. Maryland also does not clearly outline what exactly constitutes a "bona fide gun collector", which kind of makes the grey area that already existed about transporting guns and ammo even bigger. I think all in all it depends on the cop who pulls you over and their interpretation of the law. If they feel that you are in violation of any law, having a "collectors letter" will not prevent them from taking action, and may or may not help you later on if you end up in court as a result.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    ... Some people say that a "designated collector" and a "bona fide gun collector" are not the same thing in Maryland...

IANAL, but I've got a letter from the MD State Police Licensing Division stating that my 'request to be a "Designated Collector" has been APPROVED' and that this information has been entered into their system. I know of no other MD state form or license that you would use to prove you are a "bona fide gun collector".

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I went ahead and looked up the definitions for "designated" and "bona fide".

Designated uses the terms: to denote; indicate; signify; appoint; assign.

Bona fide uses the terms: honest, sincere; lawful, legal.

Of course, this is why lawyers get the big bucks, but if the MSP "assigns" collector status, I would assume you are a "lawful, legal" gun collector.

Again, IANAL.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    There has been some confusion relating to this issue. Some people say that a "designated collector" and a "bona fide gun collector" are not the same thing in Maryland. Maryland also does not clearly outline what exactly constitutes a "bona fide gun collector", which kind of makes the grey area that already existed about transporting guns and ammo even bigger. I think all in all it depends on the cop who pulls you over and their interpretation of the law. If they feel that you are in violation of any law, having a "collectors letter" will not prevent them from taking action, and may or may not help you later on if you end up in court as a result.

In my scenario above, it's obvious I have a collection. If it's 0300 and I happen to be parked and hanging out in a known drug/hooker/crime zone with just my Fowtay, it's still legal but questionable. And way past my bedtime.

99.9999999% of the time if you treat the officer/trooper/whoever with some dignity and respect, it will be returned and things will go smoothly. Lots of threads on here about pulling over immediately (or as soon as possible to make it safer for the officer), turning on the inside lights at night, rolling down the window, shuttting the vehicle off, and leaving the hands on the wheel until after the initial bit of talking is done and he/she/they give you instructions on what they want you to do. They just want to go home at the end of their shift.

If things go bad enough that you have to use the paperwork, make sure it's in a reasonable tone and word pattern. Please don't scream at them: "LOOK HERE, M****RF****R, YOU ARE A DU****S!" - it won't end well. YMMV. IANAL/IANAC.

The MSP folks (as I understand it) are working on Sundays too to catch up on the backlog. I hope they get overtime for that. Just imagine what the backlog is going to be when shall-issue happens!

Last edited:

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    mailed mine today.

Thanks
    Robert

Dang that was fast only 14 days later and I have my letter. Yea. No more 30 days between buys for me. Now all I need is some money to buy more handguns.

Thanks
    Robert

Updated Letter was dated 10/16/2012

Last edited:

rnish

May 24, 2012
    1. I put "personal collection of historic and modern firearms" on the application

2. B of America did not charge me for the notary; but they require me to keep way too much money earning below 1% for "free" services

3. I mailed the application in on Oct 6, the "Approved" letter was dated Oct 16 and I got it in the mail Oct 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom