• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I really have high hopes that a Maryland case will open the flood gates.

Maryland has all the right elements: Irrational gun laws, totally arbitrary permitting requirements, incompetent lawyers defending it, and no way to 2-step with open carry or anything like that.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If they do take it, it will be another 5-4 desision sadly. The four lib-tards, will vote against the 2A, and the four consititutionalists will vote in favor of the 2A. The only question is, how will Kennedy side? I have hope, based on his recent track record, that he will air on the side of freedom...

Last edited by a moderator:

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    Williams is lucky to get the lawyer upgrade. Still, I don't know if this is the best next gun rights case for SCOTUS.

Gura has spoken several times about the NRA's strength at lobbying and how he wished they would stay out of the courtroom.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    If they do take it, it will be another 5-4 desision sadly.

5-4 is better than 4-5. ;)

This thread just made my day. Here's hoping. :)

HOWEVER....let's assume a few things and play this out:

-Williams gets cert, is heard, and Woolard gets up through the 4th (either side winning). What happens if Williams is 4-5 and Woolard gets appealed to SCOTUS? Wouldn't that basically be the worst possible scenario? Woolard being heard by SCOTUS after a loss with Williams?

Is this scenario at all possible/logical?

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Two things:

- "Whether by an inch or a mile, a win is a win.", Vin Diesel in some movie, somewhere

- Whether you love them or hate them, women in general deserve better than to be called what you just called two sitting Supreme Court justices. Respectfully request you modify your post accordingly. Maybe with the words I used above in bold?

-The Fast and the Furious (first one)

-:thumbsup:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    5-4 is better than 4-5. ;)

This thread just made my day. Here's hoping. :)

HOWEVER....let's assume a few things and play this out:

-Williams gets cert, is heard, and Woolard gets up through the 4th (either side winning). What happens if Williams is 4-5 and Woolard gets appealed to SCOTUS? Wouldn't that basically be the worst possible scenario? Woolard being heard by SCOTUS after a loss with Williams?

Is this scenario at all possible/logical?

I'm surprised they are trying to take a constitutional carry case to the Supreme court so soon.

There is a difference between Williams and Wollard thou

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Williams is lucky to get the lawyer upgrade. Still, I don't know if this is the best next gun rights case for SCOTUS.

Gura has spoken several times about the NRA's strength at lobbying and how he wished they would stay out of the courtroom.

Halbrook is smart and this question is carefully written to avoid the most predominant NRA litigation style: tossing it all up on the wall and seeing what sticks. This is not a kitchen sink case. There is only one question, and it leaves the door open for everything else to be answered now or later.

The NRA appears to be getting better at this stuff. Witness their most recent forays into civil rights litigation (gun restrictions for the under-21 crowd, etc.). They are adapting.

Assuming they grant cert, I can see them punting because a permit had not been applied for and denied, regardless of the details mentioned above (SCOTUS can demonstrate a gift for invertebrate behavior).

Hallbrook goes into more detail in his request, but he points out several cases where the Supreme Court - among other federal courts - has ruled that failing to request a permit is not grounds for dismissal when the act of application would be plainly futile. There is no requirement to run the gamut of administrative applications and remedies when the outcome is obvious. If so, a state could simply keep creating vexatious administrative "processes" and hearings in a never-ending litany of denials, all aimed at preventing you from seeking relief in the federal system. It would be the Hotel California of civil rights litigation.

Hallbrook points out a case where SCOTUS shot down a permit requirement for a protest even though the permit was never applied for. When a fundamental right is in play, this is easier.

krucam said:
    I tried to get into McDonald. Got up there around 5:30am, dark, cold and #75 in line. They only let 50 in when they started entry at 9:30am. 4 hours for nothing sucked.

You kids enjoy yourself and take good notes. If this is heard, it will be in the Fall or Winter and several years in Southern California made my New York blood thin out. No more ice fishing for me. I'll be sipping my hot tea thinking about you guys standing in the cold.

Or better yet...I will be cruising around the court with the heat on, listening to "Scalia's Greatest Hits - Favorite Zingers from Supreme Court Oral Arguments, Cranky Old Man Edition", sipping my hot tea and mocking you from the SUV. :lol2:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is interesting news indeed. So it seems I fell asleep in the middle of the game and we went from the first quarter to the 4th quarter. Our team has the ball.....

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I'm surprised they are trying to take a constitutional carry case to the Supreme court so soon.

There is a difference between Williams and Wollard thou

This is not a constitutional carry case.

Please re-read and repeat.

Halbrook is clear about that on page 41:

Petitioner takes no position on whether the failure to apply for a permit would jeopardize the assertion of a Second Amendment claim in a prosecution for carrying a handgun without a permit in a state where, unlike Maryland, such a permit is required to be issued to law-abiding citizens.

This is effectively a challenge based on the permit being unavailable. It would require shall-issue or no-issue permitting. But the state could modify its permit practice if they wanted.

This opens a few possible doors. First, what happens if a state takes too long to issue a permit and you are caught carrying between the time you buy the gun and time the state issues the permit? Halbrook is hinting the answer is they cannot touch you. This is a subtle effect if they answer this question his way.

This question also opens the door to justices that want to avoid permits entirely. I doubt this will happen, as some see signs that Roberts would not go that way. He's big into law and order stuff and permits fit that bill.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Whether you love them or hate them, women in general deserve better than to be called what you just called two sitting Supreme Court justices. Respectfully request you modify your post accordingly. Maybe with the words I used above in bold?

Oh OK. My bad.

If they do take it, it will be another 5-4 desision sadly. The four lib-tards, including the two progressive, "living document" constitutional theorists (read: they make it up as they go along, changing their interpretation of the Consititution on the fly to fit their Marxist agenda) that Hussein put in there, wil vote against the 2A, and the four consititutionalists will vote in favor of the 2A. The only question is, how will Kennedy side? I have hope, based on his recent track record, that he will air on the side of freedom...

krucam

Ultimate Member
    The more I think about this, especially with 3 Yeunglings under my belt, is that the Court is really going to want to answer this one. The Big Question.

Forget that Heller and McDonald were 5-4 rulings. Forget that they didn't answer the "Bear" side of the RKBA equation. The question of Bear was not addressed in either.

So...we had 5 that ruled in our favor in a Home-based situation. Does this necessarily imply they want to entertain an Outside-the-Home-Situation? No, it doesn't. It does (to me) imply that the 4 who dissented WOULD want to take this up.

So...we now have 4 individuals who don't like us possibly ruling to grant Cert so they can chime in on the Big Question. Do not count them out on this Petition.

Musing out loud, but I'm feeling good on this one...at least as far as Cert being Granted....

www.scotusblog.com
    is the place for watch for Petitions. You think Patrick is a "junkie"? They maintain a "Petitions to Watch" column, http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/petitions-were-watching/ and this will be the place to watch (besides MD Shooters) for status on Williams v. Maryland...

My foggy crystal-clear crystal ball says this will be Granted Cert easily.

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Any chance that Gansler knew this was coming and really didnt put a whole lot of thought into MD's last response in Wollard? Did he figure the SCOTUS would win or lose it for him?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Some things to help this get cert. from SCOTUS would be-amicus briefs signed by members of Congress and the states, as well as from groups like SAF and NRA(and every other group). Heller and McDonald both had all of that. It seems to put pressure on the court to take the case if everyone is begging them for it.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    This case has me thinking.... According to the high court, we have the right to keep arms in our homes for self-defense, but.... what about the homeless. Without a residence, one would be forced to bear their arms in order to keep their arms. Correct? Do homeless people not have the right to keep arms? What if this case would have involved a street person with a handgun in a shopping cart that contained the entirety of his or her possessions?

Last edited:

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    This is interesting news indeed. So it seems I fell asleep in the middle of the game and we went from the first quarter to the 4th quarter. Our team has the ball.....

Better analogy, we went from a scheduled NBA game to petitioning the NBA to let us have a free throw competition instead... from the opposite free throw line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom