• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    From the looks of the picture , and not a exact price I would be at about 100.00 just for the welding with someone else doing the clean-up or machining .
    About a 2 week turnaround , I am in Anne Arundel County .

I should add as long as it it legal for me to have your slide in my possession for 2 weeks , i am not a FFL holder so whatever is legal is what we do .

If you do the job, please post up some before and after pics. That work you did for the guy with the woodworking tool, don't remember what the tool was actually called, was incredible!!

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If you do the job, please post up some before and after pics. That work you did for the guy with the woodworking tool, don't remember what the tool was actually called, was incredible!!

My brother actually does the finer tig welding in our company , he holds multiple certifications in all types of materials and processes .

I wish I could take the credit , but I'm just a lackey that moves personnel around and planning and set up of work .
    I am not the welder I once was , as you get older you lose an edge that is just the way it is .

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    If you need to chose a different repair route, try Innovative Custom. They do lots of detail welding.

Looks like a Bomar rear sight cut. Flat top and serrated, too? Caspian typically runs their rails large so a replacement Caspian may give a relatively similar fit. Kimbers run decent rail size.

Bomar round top serrated.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    From the looks of the picture , and not a exact price I would be at about 100.00 just for the welding with someone else doing the clean-up or machining .
    About a 2 week turnaround , I am in Anne Arundel County .

I should add as long as it it legal for me to have your slide in my possession for 2 weeks , i am not a FFL holder so whatever is legal is what we do .

I'm willing but I'll need a couple paydays before I'm ready.
    If it doesn't work out I might see if there is a way to convert it to an external extractor.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I'm willing but I'll need a couple paydays before I'm ready.
    If it doesn't work out I might see if there is a way to convert it to an external extractor.

Get the part to me , and send me the money in a couple weeks . If I have the part I can fit it in better .
    I will wait a couple weeks to get paid , I do all small bench jobs as they pile up 4 or 8 at a time . It makes the most out of the day , or sometimes on rain days it is good fill in work .

That is the best I can offer .

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    My brother actually does the finer tig welding in our company , he holds multiple certifications in all types of materials and processes .

I wish I could take the credit , but I'm just a lackey that moves personnel around and planning and set up of work .
    I am not the welder I once was , as you get older you lose an edge that is just the way it is .

I'd say you're underselling yourself. I believe you are far from just a lackey.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Additional Consideration(s)

Welding is not the problem. Drilling the new Extractor channel after welding, so that it is concentric with the existing channel is a challenge.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    Welding is not the problem. Drilling the new Extractor channel after welding, so that it is concentric with the existing channel is a challenge.

I'll see how occluded the hole is when I get it back and decide on a plan of action from there.

Trikshot I sent you an email about the whole issue a couple of days ago.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I'll see how occluded the hole is when I get it back and decide on a plan of action from there.

Trikshot I sent you an email about the whole issue a couple of days ago.

What is the approx. size of the hole you guys speak of ?? I have ways of protecting the hole from weld .

I have used carbon rods in the past as a easy way to keep clean the hole while welding , as it keeps weld material from rolling into areas you don't want to effect . Carbon rods are very easy to drill once they are place in a hole .

Plus this slide will be tig welded to allow for a more controlled weld . I need to see it first hand in order to make a determination on a fix.

I can tell you with 100 % certainty that you will need to do Dremel work and buffing for the desired finish .

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Because drill is 100% the wrong tool for the job. Would be easy to pickup the hole coordinates on a mill and cleanup w/ a small end mill. W/ sinker/riffler files it could all be done by hand. Or use a pencil grinder w/ a light touch. Anything but a drill.

As much as I'd be tempted to weld it (since I do my own welding), Doco's suggestion of silver solder is an excellent one. Almost perfect for this kind of fix.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    I read the hole size has a tolerance of .2725" - .2755". The way the piece moves when it cracked I know I'm gonna have a little filing to do on the hammer slot, firing pin stop slot and the rear sight relief cut. For the hole maybe little round file I"ll have to see. I'm not expecting it to look like new .

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I was out of town the past week, only returning last night. I sent you some responses on my new smart phone, but for some reason they did not go through. Welding and milling will be done. I need to know if finish is stainless or something else. Please call me @ 410-733-4228, Mon ~ Fri; 2P ~ 8P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom