• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    I realize how upsetting it may be to see members carted off in handcuffs for the supposed crime of standing on a sidewalk and protesting something. Especially when at least one of those persons has a very serious medical condition like he has shared with this board in the past. I just want to remind everyone to keep the discussion civil and don't say anything that you wouldn't be willing to say and attach your name to. I have little doubt this thread will be being monitored and I wouldn't put it past the anti-gun people to send a troll in here to start trying to whip people up and get someone to say something to make us look bad.

Good call. Edited.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Just sent to my representatives:

Delegates and Senator Reilly - As you may be aware, a group of Second Amendment supporters has been peacefully carrying signs on the sidewalk near Lawyers Mall on Monday nights during your session. The demonstrations have been peaceful ,without incident and have occured for several years. I have walked with them on several occasions.

Tonight, two of our members were arrested. We have been informed that we will no longer be allowed to walk on the sidewalk. We could use Lawyers Mall, but that location is highly regulated abd permitted.

I must protest these arrests. I protest this infringement on the peaceable right to assemble and to petition our Government for the redress of grievances.

I have known that the Second Amendment is under attack in Maryland. This attack upon the First is without precedent.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. We need your support.

D Hodge
    Arnold, MD

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Let the media know there will be another protest and that they should bring their cameras and popcorn.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snyder_v._Phelps

Snyder v. Phelps, 562 U.S. 443 (2011), is a landmark United States Supreme Court case where the Supreme Court ruled that speech on a matter of public concern, on a public street, cannot be the basis of liability for a tort of emotional distress, even in the circumstances that the speech is viewed or interpreted as "offensive" or "outrageous".

The case brought up the issue of whether or not the First Amendment was capable of protecting public protestors at a funeral against emotional distress, better known as tort liability. It involved a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress by Albert Snyder, a gay man[1] whose son Matthew Snyder, a Marine, was killed during the Iraq War. The claim was made in response to the actions of the Phelps family as well as the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) who were also present at the picketing of the funeral. The Court ruled in favor of Phelps in an 8-1 decision, determining that their speech related to a public issue was completely protected, and could not be prevented as it was on public property.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ^
    So not only are they against the 2nd Amendment, the antis that directed the capital police to move or arrest the peaceful sidewalk protestors are against the 1st Amendment. Not really surprised.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated.

Thomas Paine

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I will be arrested next Monday then..time to stack up the lawsuits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ditto. Have stood out there for two years exchanging pleasantries with the LEO (and dogs) with boots on the ground without a single issue. WHO CHANGED THE RULES AND UNDER WHAT AUTHORITY?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I can't believe after all this time, something like this transpires. I will be making calls tomorrow to be sure. I'm sure everyone would like to know where these orders came from. The governor's office and all republican representatives should be notified and demand an answer to this completely illegal action.

This is an outrage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom