• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Everytime i order a knife it comes with the clip set up for hinged side up. Do most people carry in that orientation. I like the hinge down so that i can open it without having to spin the knife around. These small screws are smaller than my smallest torx bit so i had to borrow a smaller one. I'm going to be buying a kit with the smaller tip. What size are these screws coming out with. I was thinking of running into a tool store with the knife and checking first hand. Does it change based on the knife?

Rick.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Always tip up. As you said, having to spin the knife around when you need it most ain't wise. You need jeweler's size torx bits. I bought a 6-bit set where the bits store in the handle. Don't remember where I got it. Maybe Ace Hardware.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Had a knife that opened "your" way. Damned thing was always opening on me. I would recommend carrying hinge up and to get accustomed to operating it that way. A perforated leg is no fun. I know from experience.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I prefer tip up carry for the reason you mention. Home Depot sells a mini torx driver set with bit storage in the handle.

Lowes has this same thing too if you're not by a Home Depot.

Tip up here as well for tacticool fast deployment.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Yep and for 25+ years it's been tip up for me. Benchmade come preset for a right handed tip up carry.
    Only been bit once and it was my fault.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Most knives use T6 and T8 torx bits.
    Tip up only for me. If your knife isn't a cheap piece of garbage, it won't be opening in your pocket.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Not the best idea in densely-populated areas of this state. Guaranteed to attract unwanted attention. Might win you a backseat ride if clothing, coat included, obscures it even partially.

Might win you said ride if they see that clip hangin on your pocket and decide to check that length too.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Might win you said ride if they see that clip hangin on your pocket and decide to check that length too.

MD law is more difficult for you if you carry a fixed blade knife over a folder. Once it's concealed, your fixed blade is illegal to carry and certain areas of the state there are further restrictions.
    A folder in the pocket is a much safer alternative.
    I'll take your definition of "lame" over a visit to the crossbar hotel.:rolleyes:

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Carry tip down with some thumb openers, but tip up for all flippers and wave openers. Always go tip up on the right (strong) side. Carry smaller utility/backup on the left. Both are EDCs, but with two distinct purposes.

Ref torx, two BONDHUS sets below, from T6 to T25 - and made in USA! Believe these were purchased on Amazon. Small as T6 will be needed for pocket clips, such as on the knife pictured.

Attachments

• IMAG0205.jpg
      IMAG0205.jpg
      91.8 KB · Views: 326

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I keep the sharp and pointy end away from the jewels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom