• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Is permanently attaching a custom suppressor shroud something that any good gunsmith can do? (I'm thinking Bollingers, Scotts, etc) I'm referring to something exactly like the Tactical Solutions SBX barrels:

http://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-series/x-ring-sb-x-barrel

I know that permanently attaching threaded devices is done all the time, but this would be slightly different; I would imagine the shroud would have to be somehow attached to the exterior of the barrel, to preserve the threads for a suppressor.

If it helps to clarify what I'm going after, the idea is to create an SBR suppressor host without the stamp. In particular, I'm interested in getting the HTA 90/22 bullpup stock for 10/22s, and in theory the TacSol SBX would be perfect, except that the kit requires an 18" barrel to meet the 26" OAL requirement, and the TacSol barrel is only sold in 16.5".

HTA actually sells a 14.1" SBR barrel that is specifically made to be as short as possible while still clearing the stock. In an ideal world I suppose this barrel would be a perfect candidate to attach a 4" shroud to, to make the 26" OAL requirement.

For anyone interested in extra credit, what would the process be for getting this done without falling afoul of constructive intent? I suppose I would have to have the barrel shipped straight to the gunsmith to attach the shroud before I take possession of it?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Oh, and before anyone suggests this - my understanding is that yes, a buttplate extension could be permanently attached (glued I guess?) to meet the OAL, but the LOP on the HTA 90/22 stock is already on the long side - 15.5", as compared to the real P90s 13.5". I'm okay with that since I'm over 5'10", but adding another 1.5" to create a 17" LOP to meet the 26" OAL would be getting pretty ridiculous. Hence why I'm pondering an 18" version of the TacSol SBX barrel.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Neat concept. Not much cheaper than paying for a $200 tax and having an SBR. That should be legal since the shroud is not removable and the total length of the barrel is > 16". Same concept as the 11.5" barrels with the 5" flash suppressor permanently attached.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've been thinking the same thing for my 9mm project. Form 1 a permanently attached can to get the equivalent of a suppressed SBR.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Neat concept. Not much cheaper than paying for a $200 tax and having an SBR. That should be legal since the shroud is not removable and the total length of the barrel is > 16". Same concept as the 11.5" barrels with the 5" flash suppressor permanently attached.

The idea is to avoid NFA as much as possible for the usual variety of reasons, in particular all the nonsense about transporting interstate. I am hoping to get a .22 suppressor sometime this year, but my understanding is the rules about interstate transport don't apply to suppressors (i.e. you have to notify/get permission).

It's not necessarily a cheaper way to do a suppressed SBR, but it's certainly infinitely easier from a red tape perspective.

So consensus is that if I took a ~14" threaded barrel to a good gunsmith, they would have no problem manufacturing/attaching a suppressor shroud in a way that preserves the threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom