• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I'm just curious, why the infatuation with it outside of a kids first shotgun? It's really too small to do much with other than upland game at very close range and contrary to popular belief it is NOT a home defense weapon. I grew up seeing it as a .22 alternative for kids. Not trying to raise a shitstorm but am wondering....why when 20 and 16 Ga. is available for the recoil sensitive?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've wondered the same, but I'm not insto shotgun sports or hunting so I always assumed there was a niche market for it that I was missing.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I blame the Taurus Judge.

I would agree with this. That and the Saiga 410s that were all you could get in a standard capacity mag fed shotguns for a few years warmed up the market.

I actually expected it drift into obselecence.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hmmmm, maybe but I think it started to happen before that abomination. Maybe not, I dunno.

One other thing....ammo isn't cheap for it's scale either. :shrug:

Sure did. Think nostalgia and the Savage Model 24 in 410/22 which for a lot of us was perhaps the first shotgun we pulled the trigger on.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I was managing to find single shot .410s all over the place here in NC for well under $100....more like the $50-75 range. I picked up a couple and realized, though the shotguns themselves were cheap, ammo for them was more of a bother. I could get 12ga shells in some places like Walmart for under $6 a box, when .410 was running a minimum of $9 a box.

Wasn't very thrifty. I kinda like .410, but it really serves no purpose. I mainly used it when I took new folks to the range so they could "shoot a shotgun".

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Prices of them have skyrocketed in the last year or two. A cute little :rolleyes: SXS .410 (don't remember what) went for something like $550.00 at Marshall's auction last week. And face it, they just can't clear saplings like a 12 can! :D

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Prices of them have skyrocketed in the last year or two. A cute little :rolleyes: SXS .410 (don't remember what) went for something like $550.00 at Marshall's auction last week. And face it, they just can't clear saplings like a 12 can! :D

I had a Stevens 5100/311 in 12ga. $300 gun.
    A Stevens 311 in .410. $500 gun. Go figure.

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    The .410 is definitely a novelty gun. They can be quite fun for skeet shooting and not too bad for rabbit hunting, but the cost of shells keep all but the diehard fans from using them regularly. They can be economical to shoot if you reload.

Everybody in my family but me owns a .410. A friend of mine's 9 year old son successfully hunts geese with one! Take that all you 3.5" 12 ga guys! LOL Actually the kid brings down quite a variety of game with that .410. I would like to have one in the Remington 1100 variety just as a novelty piece. They really are a fun little gun to shoot once in a while, but for now I will stick with my 12!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I like the idea of the OU .22/410, that would be the perfect boys gun and mess around kind of thing.

Savage has made these for years havent they? A .22/.410 (m6) is the only .410 I own. I am not even sure I have a box of .410 ammo for it.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I like it for Skeet, but it has a way of humbling you. It's the only gauge I haven't run 100 with. It's also used in Sporting Clays, along with the 20 & 28. They are also pretty neat in specialty guns like the Snake Charmer. Nice cheap plinker to have on a boat to dispatch snakes (I hate cottonmouths), Nutria and whatnot.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    So 20gauge is a way to go huh?
    I may just have to consider that...instead of a .410 then.
    so is .410 a ghey round now?

A gay round? I don't know what a gay round is, but I will say that .410 bore is what separates the men from the boys on the skeet field. I've shot a few rounds of skeet with a friend's .410 and like Blackthorne said, it's a humbling experience - I can only imagine how humbling it would be for sporting clays.

But, yeah, too expensive to shoot unless you reload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom