• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lostsole

Feb 28, 2011
    North West Balto Co
    I have gotten conflicting info on different options for my son and thought I would throw out the question here.

I purchased a mossberg 500 12ga for myself last month (first shotgun) and went with a friend and his son shooting. I decided the next time out to take my son but knew he couldn't handle the 12ga. After talking to a few people I was talked out of a .410 and picked up an H&R 20ga pardner. My son fired it once and doesn't want to try it again for a few years. He was disappointed that he only got to pull the thrower and wants to shot some. I am now looking at the .410, but hear a lot of people call it an "expert" gun because of the pattern. I started looking towards the H&R 28ga pardner but can't really find anyone that has fired a 28ga. I see that the pattern is closer to a 20ga than a .410 and the recoil is about 1/4 of the 20ga. I bought the 20ga because I was told the recoil was so much lower than the 12ga but I don't think it was that much different.

Anyone have any opinions about this?

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    The problem with a .410 or a 28 is that shells are very expensive and they are not really beginners guns. A 20ga is better suited for a new shooter or a kid. If you handload, that's a plus, as you can load them down quite a bit. Tough to beat a 20ga 1100 for a kid. My daughter and son both started at about age 8 with an 1100. A 20ga single shot kicks like a mule and has turned off more than one kid to shooting. I would stay away from them.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The problem with a .410 or a 28 is that shells are very expensive and they are not really beginners guns. A 20ga is better suited for a new shooter or a kid. If you handload, that's a plus, as you can load them down quite a bit. Tough to beat a 20ga 1100 for a kid. My daughter and son both started at about age 8 with an 1100. A 20ga single shot kicks like a mule and has turned off more than one kid to shooting. I would stay away from them.

Great info....Do you suggest a semi auto for a child beginner. I was thinking of shotgun for my 11 daughter but my pumps kick like a mule. I figured a nice SA would be better.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    What I did was to pick up an extra (cheap) stock for my 20ga Skeet gun, cut it down to size (about 13 1/2") with the thought that if they didn't take to the game I would still have a gun to shoot. Both ended up with guns of their own (from Santa). The only downside to an auto is that they are a little heavy in the front and it can be tiring for a kid to shoot one at first, but that doesn't last long.

I handload and loaded 20ga shells with 3/4oz loads at about 1200fps... puppy dog loads - a non issue in an auto for sure.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I think my Stoeger 28ga sxs kicks harder than my Marlin bolt action single shot .410.

My Dad gave me a "Topper" 20 guage when I was eight. By the time I was twelve, when Dad didn't go with me, I used his Stevens double barrel 12 guage. One of my friends had a .410. He practically had to lead a rabbit to make a kill because the load was so slow.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    I'd maybe try a recoil pad. I have a Topper in 20ga and since its a lightweight gun it kicks like a mutha. Semi-Auto isnt a bad idea either.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    reduced recoil loads in a 12 gauge are probably easier to handle than a straight up 20 gauge. Look around for reduced recoil loads in what you have and see if that makes the difference first in your 20 gauge.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=995610

Quote from review: "Great for teaching my 10 year old daughter to shoot clays. Substantially less recoil than even typical target loads."

See if that helps.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Winchester and Remington sell reduced recoil loads in both 20ga and 12ga. Problem with a 12ga is that most kids can't handle the weight of the gun.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My first gun when I was 13 years old was a double barrel .410. Although I didn't trap shoot with it, I did get my share of squirrels and pheasant with it. I got my first deer with it when I was 16 using slugs and it took two shots at 40 yards to take it down.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Father had me start out on a .410 as my first gun. Same one that he started out with. Nice to keep them in the family.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I loaded 12ga shells with 14.5gr Red dot. Had to insert a d" wad in shot cup under f oz of shot!

Note #1: Will not cycle an auto-loader! (Semi-Automatic)

:D :thumbsup:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    A good, solid 20 gauge pump.

166244_10150380939220585_691460584_16667627_7067913_n.jpg

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Almost everyone in my extended family started with one of a few .410 bolt actions that were handed down over the years. By the time I was about 9 my uncle had me hitting 20 out of 25 most of the time. IMHO the .410 is great to learn on, especially when you only get one try per bird. Keep the shots simple working from shooting static clays to straight away shots to shallow angles. Sure the hard crossing shots are tough with a .410, but you are trying to help him get interested in shooting, not competing to see who buys the drinks afterward. Keep it easy and fun for a while.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hello,

IMHO the problem with the 410 is the pellets don't arrive at the same time. On the other hand the 28 really does. They are both more expensive to shoot. I own two 410 and have access to shot a 28. I have never used the 410 for anything besides rabbit and squirrel. I have used a 28 squirrels, rabbits, dove, and pheasants.

The advice about the 20 gauge is solid but you end up depriving yourself a good 28. To be honest the Gun industry kind of has spoken. There are more well made inexpensive 20 gauges the either of the other two.

I know this going to fly in face of the advice but if you go to a 20 why not a 12 you can load it down (weight will help with recoil and building upper body strength) get wood and cut it to fit the kid.

my two cents

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Honestly I don't know what would be wrong with the 12ga maybe I grew up different but i was about that age when I first shot my dad's 590 Mariner with low brass.

Sorry if i didn't answer your question but i know .410 seems to be more available than 28 so that may help you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom