• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    How does everybody feel about "special" ammo like dragons breath, flechette, bola, pepper spray, rubber shot, "double whammy", "pitbull", "rhodesian jungle" and others? Me personally I think that rubber slug ammo is good for police/military use and maybe as a first shot for home defense to prove escalation of force. the rest seem like expensive fourth of july, fun ammo with few tactical purposes.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Mostly useless gimmicks designed to seperate the easily impressed from thier money.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    haha whoopidy doo, ive seen more flash from 12 gauge flares! he might as well throw sparklers

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Me personally I think that rubber slug ammo is good for police/military use and maybe as a first shot for home defense to prove escalation of force.

Loading less than lethal rounds is ridiculous for defense IMO. If I pull the trigger, my life is going to be in danger and if my life is in danger, I plan on making sure that the BG's life is in danger as well.

Mostly useless gimmicks designed to seperate the easily impressed from thier money.

It's like fishing lures... Most fishing lures are designed to catch fisherman in a store not fish in a lake

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Loading less than lethal rounds is ridiculous for defense IMO. If I pull the trigger, my life is going to be in danger and if my life is in danger, I plan on making sure that the BG's life is in danger as well.

I totally understand where your coming from, and I agree, the situation I was thinking of is say, an unarmed burgler or a combative drunk, i think it would be better to break a few ribs on a BG than try to grapple with him. And In that case I think would be hard to explain why i fired lethal ammo on an unarmed man.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    How does everybody feel about "special" ammo like dragons breath, flechette, bola, pepper spray, rubber shot, "double whammy", "pitbull", "rhodesian jungle" and others? Me personally I think that rubber slug ammo is good for police/military use and maybe as a first shot for home defense to prove escalation of force. the rest seem like expensive fourth of july, fun ammo with few tactical purposes.
    Dragons breath might be cool at night, but that is all.
    Flechette is pointless unless you get the high tech version which I do not think is affordable.
    Bolo is a wast of money because they do not do what they claim. However the wound the two, flat cylindrical slugs would leave at close quarters would probably be truly devastating. They are innacurate as hell over any distance though.
    Pitbull.....:thumbsup: I would buy it again. It kicked hard like it had some serious kickass power.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I totally understand where your coming from, and I agree, the situation I was thinking of is say, an unarmed burgler or a combative drunk, i think it would be better to break a few ribs on a BG than try to grapple with him. And In that case I think would be hard to explain why i fired lethal ammo on an unarmed man.

In that case I think a firearm is more of a standoff device. Unarmed or not, if I'm wielding a shotgun at someone and they still attempt to attack me I feel that is just cause to shoot. I am NO lawyer, but in my opinion if someone is crazy enough to attack an armed individual while they are "unarmed" then they are probably NOT unarmed.

Of course I will avoid confrontation at all costs, but if it comes down to it I'm not going to give a warning shot with some rubber balls.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    herpessure bullets...hollow points filled with the herpes virus and then capped with a ballistic tip. if you shoot a criminal and they get away, they'll be sorry a couple days later...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    novus, how bout commenting on these puppies below...the ol timbs. i hear they still don't get enough velocity to make up for the reduction in mass and the sabot means the projectile has more wiggle room traveling through the bore making them less accurate.
    sabotstep023nv.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    as for wonder ammo that never came to be check out the 5.6 mm fleschette that the steyr ACR was designed to shoot...
    216_acr1page3.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Negative my friend. In this non-lawyer's opinion, the only way I'm pointing a shotgun at someone and pulling the trigger is when I've made the determination that I need to stop this threat and my target's death is an acceptible outcome. A shotgun is a lethal weapon. I don't think many juries will be convinced by the argument that you only intended to injure the subject.

You want to do those things, get the nastiest pepper spray you can find, I recommend Sabre Red. Pepper spray gets a bad rap and my experience is that it's usually highly effective, your grumpy drunk will not be amused, or in any condition to fight after a face full. If it's in my home and this guy wants to wrestle, I'm not going to have much trouble articulating why I was in fear for my life and used lethal force.

I am not a lawyer.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Just MHO, and IANAL, but home defense calls for standard, dependable ammo of sufficient power to penetrate and stop the fight. If a shotgun: buckshot. If a handgun or carbine: jacketed hollow points.

The ONLY permissible reason to use deadly force is when you fear for you life and are preventing imminent profound wounding or death. Only when there is no other choice, the trigger is pulled.

Firing a less-than-lethal round is STILL firing a firearm at someone, and will be treated this way, as deadly force, and the ammo type is of no real concern. Less-than-lethal rounds can still be lethal under certain circumstances, especially at home defense distances.

If one is actually needs to fire a firearm in self defense, the circumstances will warrant the most effective and immediate way to stop the attack and the fantasy of having several opportunities to shoot is just that, fantasy.

Things happen VERY quickly in these situations and you may only get one shot that must count in the highest stakes situation you'll ever face. Firing a less-than-lethal round or some gimmick ammo first may squander your ONLY CHANCE to defend yourself.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I beat you to the submit button Ed, but you said it so much better. The Gentleman from Joppa would like to second everything Mr Shell has typed.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    +1 for what Ed and Joppa said, but

how can you argue with this:lol2:

products-pistol-ammo.jpg

DRT "Dead Right There!" This ammo has been hush, hush for over four years, during the testing phases, the elite military and law enforcement agencies couldn't believe what they were seeing as they shot the DRT ammunition. Now it is the only ammunition used to protect high profile individuals. The most amazing part of this ammunition is the compressed powder core, as it passes into the body it dissipates causing instant death. The core powder is as fine as talcum powder. When it contacts the organic target, the powder is spinning at such a high rate it instantly disperses, resulting in Instant Death. A full 100% energy dissipation as the bullet totally disappears into invisible dust. This is the most accurate and deadly ammo we have ever shot. This ammunition is used world wide to protect citizens and eliminate terrorists. DRT, Dead Right There!

or this classic:D

extremeshokreduxxf4.jpg

The World's Premier Anti-Terrorist Rounds!
    It's a new war, and our nations best warriors now carry the world's most devastating ammunition! As we entrust the de-fense of our freedom in our finest professionals, they now carry an advantage beyond their own heroism! Over ten years in co-development with Special Operations Groups and Federal Law Enforcement, the new ExtremeShock™ Explosive Entry tactical defense rounds represent the ultimate refinement in lethal bullet technology. The compressed Tungsten-NyTrilium™ Composite fragments upon impact, leaving a wound channel of catastrophic proportions. The expansive fragmentation characteristics of the ExtremeShock rounds transfer the bullets energy in a far faster time span than conventional hollowpoints. The resulting stopping power is utterly devastating. E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom