• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It's all good, bud. One day, we'll figure out range time and I might even be able to bring the better half out. Yes the mythical Mrs. DA might make a cameo. :lol2:

Which season starts on Monday? Deer - Bow?

Early season goose and doves. Dove hunting is one of my favorites. Been doing it since I was a little kid. Did not get involved in waterfowling until I was 25. Tried goose hunting with my dad in my teens, but we could not afford decoys, a blind, and everything else, so we just tried pass shooting them as they flew over the field. After 3 attempts at this, we got one on a wing shot. IN hindsight, what we were doing was pathetic.

Dad and me last year after a dove hunt. Son and me last year. There are plenty of other pics with my dad, brothers, and sisters hunting and shooting. Good times.

Edit to add: The roles were reversed last year. Usually, I was the one that was excited to go dove hunting and my dad had to tell me 20 times to pack up when it was time to leave. Last year, my dad was excited as hell. He could barely hit anything though, and I limited out after 90 minutes. Hence, took a lot of photos. We have to cross the Potomac on a boat to get to that field, so I had to keep telling him that it was time to pack up so we didn't have to cross in the dark. It was incredible. He has been asking me for the past 4 months if we are going again. Likewise, my son wants to come goose hunting again so he can help pick up the decoys and kill a couple coffee cans and milk jugs.

Attachments

• MdShooters27.jpg
      MdShooters27.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 107
    • MdShooters8.jpg
      MdShooters8.jpg
      108.3 KB · Views: 91
    • MdShooters28.jpg
      MdShooters28.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 88
    • MdShooters32.jpg
      MdShooters32.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 95

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Early season goose and doves. Dove hunting is one of my favorites. Been doing it since I was a little kid. Did not get involved in waterfowling until I was 25. Tried goose hunting with my dad in my teens, but we could not afford decoys, a blind, and everything else, so we just tried pass shooting them as they flew over the field. After 3 attempts at this, we got one on a wing shot. IN hindsight, what we were doing was pathetic.

Dad and me last year after a dove hunt. Son and me last year. There are plenty of other pics with my dad, brothers, and sisters hunting and shooting. Good times.

I've never done waterfowl hunting of any kind. How is the goose, when cooked up?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've never done waterfowl hunting of any kind. How is the goose, when cooked up?

My way of fixing goose (taught to me by the guy who takes me every year or 2) is to rub it with rosemary and garlic then put it on a smoker for several hours. HMMM, good!

By the way, it actually tastes, IMHO, more like a mild flavored cut of beef than chicken.

OK, this thread reminded me to give Jim a call (I usually go with him for migratory bird season not early season).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

I make jerky out of goose breast. Have yet to find a good recipe for it, but a lot of people in the outdoors forum have offered up recipes they like, so I might try a couple this year.

Now, I usually make 3 breasts worth of jerky at a time, and it is usually gone in a week, if not less. SXS is right though, it is nowhere near chicken, and it is ALL dark meat.

Puddle ducks are exquisite tasting. A couple months after I met my wife, I brought home a couple mallards and wood ducks. I made kabobs with them and asked her which one she liked better. Of course, she picked wood duck because "It has a nutty flavor" (fyi - they eat a lot of nuts). Of course, they are half the size of a mallard, if that, and they fly fast as can be, and maneuver like a dove through the trees. I miss way more wood ducks than I miss mallards. Then again, I miss way more mallards than I miss geese.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I make jerky out of goose breast. Have yet to find a good recipe for it, but a lot of people in the outdoors forum have offered up recipes they like, so I might try a couple this year.

Now, I usually make 3 breasts worth of jerky at a time, and it is usually gone in a week, if not less. SXS is right though, it is nowhere near chicken, and it is ALL dark meat.

Puddle ducks are exquisite tasting. A couple months after I met my wife, I brought home a couple mallards and wood ducks. I made kabobs with them and asked her which one she liked better. Of course, she picked wood duck because "It has a nutty flavor" (fyi - they eat a lot of nuts). Of course, they are half the size of a mallard, if that, and they fly fast as can be, and maneuver like a dove through the trees. I miss way more wood ducks than I miss mallards. Then again, I miss way more mallards than I miss geese.

I've never had good goose jerky I've tried making it a few times.

The best I've had is pounding it out, coating it, and Turing it into a Marsala

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've never had good goose jerky I've tried making it a few times.

The best I've had is pounding it out, coating it, and Turing it into a Marsala

How do you make the jerky? I've given it out on hunts several times and everybody wants the recipe. Brought some to a buddy when we went pheasant hunting a couple years ago and he wrote me later that night. "My son ate the entire bag, and either you have to bring more up soon or you have to give me the recipe." lol

I'll try to remember to PM you the recipe later tonight. Need to get an e-mail out right now. Work gets in the way of fun, but luckily I like all my clients so it isn't quite as painful.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I made it the same way I do deer. 5lbs of meat dehydrated to 1 lb with beer and original or cracked pepper mix......it's not terrible but I wouldn't make it again.

Oh and its ground in shot through the jerky tube.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I made it the same way I do deer. 5lbs of meat dehydrated to 1 lb with beer and original or cracked pepper mix......it's not terrible but I wouldn't make it again.

Oh and its ground in shot through the jerky tube.

Yeah, not the way I do it. Screw the e-mail for a minute.

Cut a breast in thin strips with a filet knife or a deli meat slicer.

I marinate meat overnight in fridge

2/3 cup worcestershire sauce
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1 T salt
    1 t black pepper OR ground red pepper (depends how spicy you like it)
    1 t garlic powder
    1 t onion powder
    1 T liquid smoke

and then place in dehydrator 8 hours, sometimes 12+ depending on the thickness of the meat and the performance of the dehydrator.

I sprinkle crushed red pepper on half the batch once it is on the dehydrator for those that like some heat with their jerky.

You can also substitute 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce for 1/3 cup soy sauce if Teriyaki is your thing. The longer you marinate the meat, the more salt it retains. Don't like it salty, cut down the marinade time.

Edit to add: I usually make 3 breasts at a time, but that amount of ingredients will probably work on 4 breasts. Just not enough trays on the dehydrator for 4 breasts. Only have 3 breasts left in the freezer and am saving them until I kill some more birds this year.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ya picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, 4 hungry children not a crop in the field.

Got that one at 3:00 am. I like me some Kenny Rogers.

Got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run. You never count your money, while you're sitting at the table, there'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Got that one at 3:00 am. I like me some Kenny Rogers.

Got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run. You never count your money, while you're sitting at the table, there'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done.
    Haha yeah I like him too. I carry alot of my parents taste in music with me. People look at my playlist and are usually chuckling at it and telling other people, " yeah we listened to some Jay Z empire state and then kenny rogers followed by men at work down under and then topped it off with some foster the people pumped up kicks". I dont care good music is good music.

Speaking of that Checkout this video. Kids talented
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ckA6FsExSA

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah, not the way I do it. Screw the e-mail for a minute.

Cut a breast in thin strips with a filet knife or a deli meat slicer.

I marinate meat overnight in fridge

2/3 cup worcestershire sauce
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1 T salt
    1 t black pepper OR ground red pepper (depends how spicy you like it)
    1 t garlic powder
    1 t onion powder
    1 T liquid smoke

and then place in dehydrator 8 hours, sometimes 12+ depending on the thickness of the meat and the performance of the dehydrator.

I sprinkle crushed red pepper on half the batch once it is on the dehydrator for those that like some heat with their jerky.

You can also substitute 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce for 1/3 cup soy sauce if Teriyaki is your thing. The longer you marinate the meat, the more salt it retains. Don't like it salty, cut down the marinade time.

Edit to add: I usually make 3 breasts at a time, but that amount of ingredients will probably work on 4 breasts. Just not enough trays on the dehydrator for 4 breasts. Only have 3 breasts left in the freezer and am saving them until I kill some more birds this year.

I'll try that. I've done the deep strips I just find it's easier and tastier (IMHO) to do the ground through the shooter, Unless it's done via strips rubbed in pepper and garlic salt and hung in the attic. I've done the strips marinated in balasmic vinagrette in the oven and it turns out good.........but not great.

Thanks for the recipe I am 100% going to give it a try! I screenshot the idea and the marinade sounds great. Every other time I use liquid smoke, I expect it to come out slow and BAM 100 OZ OF LIQUID SMOKE hahahaha.......yes I'm an idiot

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom