• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Thank goodness we have La Tolteca here. The hot salsa that comes with the premium tacos is delicious!

On that note, I'm also hearing that the Mexican restaurant on Charles Street is barely hanging on.

That is where my youngest daughter, and her fiance love to eat.

Only one catch...... the last time they ate there, they both got a SEVERE case of "the white porcelain trots".

They swore off the place.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Used to live in Port Tobacco...2000 - 2010...went to La Tolteca almost weekly there towards the end...never ever
    disappointed...always felt I got my
    money's worth and then some...never
    any health issues.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Went to Red Oak with a group of 9 people last Friday. It was really hit or miss.
    The soup was salty. The grouper bites were salty. I liked the pizza.
    The girls ordered cocktails and the same drink made by two different bartenders was unrecognizable.

I know everyone likes to rag on the franchise places, but they just offer better consistency on these things.

I agree. I ordered the Cuban sandwich a few months ago and it was great. Ordered it again a few weeks back and it was a soggy mess.

Speaking of Red Oak, a lot of the staff left when a manager was fired. That could be a big reason for the inconsistency recently. They all went to work at Spoon's, the Korean BBQ place in Rosewick. I was not a fan the one time I ate there.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Speaking of Red Oak, a lot of the staff left when a manager was fired. That could be a big reason for the inconsistency recently. They all went to work at Spoon's, the Korean BBQ place in Rosewick. I was not a fan the one time I ate there.

Spoons is the same owner as Georges BBQ in Indian Head. I guess they wanted to do something 'different' in the more competitive La Plata market and decided to go with the korean theme rather than a southern MD BBQ shack.
    I am a real sucker trying to support no--franchise food sources so I have gone back three times. The service was so-so, and I just have a hard time finding anything on the menue that appeals to me. It has never been busy, I suspect they won't be around for long.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I was really disappointed to see that Spoons does not carry those awesome traditional ribs that George's BBQ has.

I have been twice, it's decent, but I much prefer Kaow Thai at the old Ouzo's location. If you visit Kaow Thai, ask for the "hot stuff". They will bring you four different types of peppers to spice up your meal. Dried pepper powder, chili sauce, sliced hot peppers and some diced chills in vinegar that will light you up.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I was really disappointed to see that Spoons does not carry those awesome traditional ribs that George's BBQ has.

If they called it 'Georges, La Plata' and offered the menu they have in IH, the line would be out the door at lunchtime and they would sell out of piggies by 1:30.

I wish them the best, but so far it has been a bit of a bust.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I just heard that La Plata is getting a Cold Stone Creamery, Jersey Mike's subs and a new (unnamed) fried chicken place.

The frozen Yogurt place put the Carvel out of business. It'll be interesting to see whether there is enough lose change to keep a Cold Stone afloat.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    If they called it 'Georges, La Plata' and offered the menu they have in IH, the line would be out the door at lunchtime and they would sell out of piggies by 1:30.

I wish them the best, but so far it has been a bit of a bust.

The only complaint I have with George's is that it takes so long to get your food. Isn't barbeque cooked ahead of time? Why does it take 20 minutes to get your ribs? I remember the old location being almost instantaneous.

Urban BBQ at the old Three Brothers location behind Panera isn't bad. I guess it's a local chain?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The only complaint I have with George's is that it takes so long to get your food. Isn't barbeque cooked ahead of time? Why does it take 20 minutes to get your ribs? I remember the old location being almost instantaneous.

With 'Georges', do you mean the 'Spoons Korean BBQ' in La Plata? At the original Georges in Indian Head, you just have to wait however long it takes the cutter to get your order ready. If they get busy, sometimes the counter girl can ring them up faster than the back of the house can deliver. Also, sometimes there are call-in orders from the base and someone picks up a couple bags at a time. That sometimes delays things.

Urban BBQ at the old Three Brothers location behind Panera isn't bad. I guess it's a local chain?

It's ok.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    With 'Georges', do you mean the 'Spoons Korean BBQ' in La Plata? At the original Georges in Indian Head, you just have to wait however long it takes the cutter to get your order ready. If they get busy, sometimes the counter girl can ring them up faster than the back of the house can deliver. Also, sometimes there are call-in orders from the base and someone picks up a couple bags at a time. That sometimes delays things.

Sorry, I just meant George's pre-fire versus post-fire--same location.

I love George's, but it's just so slow. We had a few visitors from down in Dahlgren a few weeks ago and everyone got to listen to me complain for 30 minutes about how slow George's is now while we waited for food. It's a wonder they even go with me to lunch anymore.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Suddenly, just from seeing the thread title, I have a hankerin' for some Johnny Boy's......

;)

Johnny Boy's is an absolute dump. They are a shell of what it once was, and the customer base is dwindling. They mainly get travelers who are passing through now, as the locals have abandoned them long ago.

The building is falling apart rapidly and they do not want to put a dime in it. The grass near the picnic benches is rarely cut, so you have to sit in the weeds if you want to eat there. The place has been for sale forever in a day, but no one wants the place due to an old failing septic system. The owner lives in the run down apartment above and behind the vacant building.

The only good thing is that the manager is a really nice guy who works the window. The ribs are now up to $25 a slab :sad20:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Johnny Boy's is an absolute dump. They are a shell of what it once was, and the customer base is dwindling. They mainly get travelers who are passing through now, as the locals have abandoned them long ago.

The building is falling apart rapidly and they do not want to put a dime in it. The grass near the picnic benches is rarely cut, so you have to sit in the weeds if you want to eat there. The place has been for sale forever in a day, but no one wants the place due to an old failing septic system. The owner lives in the run down apartment above and behind the vacant building.

The only good thing is that the manager is a really nice guy who works the window. The ribs are now up to $25 a slab :sad20:

I agree and it's a damn shame, once upon a time they were great

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom