• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roger8918

Nov 14, 2010
    I'm thinking a 500-sized receiver in .20 Ga. with an 18.5" barrel and 12" LOP.

That's an awful small gun. Don't see many grown men shooting clays with a 12" LOP

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I would suggest a Franch 48 AL in 20 ga. I had my little sister out shooting trap with one and she loved it. Compact, lightweight, reliable, and very little recoil.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    For clays, a 12ga shooting Winchester 26gram AA target loads (or 7/8oz equivalent) is less recoil than a 20ga. Once you have any time on a clays course shooting with a typical 8.5-lb to 9-lb O/U, any 12ga Mossberg 500 feels light as a feather. 20ga will seem like a toy. Less weight is not your friend on a clays course. It will work against you and pound the snot out of your shoulder after 100 shells. If you get a basic Mossberg 12ga, you can buy inexpensive black polymer furniture with a 12" stock. Also keep in mind that quite a few shooting facilities will not let you shoot on a clays course with an 18.5" barrel. Typical minimum barrel length that's allowed is 22" to 23".

+1
    Small stature does not necessarily mean recoil sensitive.

Gun fit, Gun fit, Gun fit!!!
    A proper LOP, DAC, and Pitch will do more than any choices of gauge, action OR shell.

Does small stature mean weak? Weight reduces recoil.
    Long barrel with short LOP means nose heavy. Does it balance at the hinge or center with the short stock? (Does it swing level or droop)

My GF bought a 20g youth model O/U (she's short at under 5' and has short arms). Recoil and fit and barrel length made it difficult for her to shoot well.
    Took my 12g Silver Pigeon, reduced the stock length (LOP), added an adjustable comb (to align her eye to the rib) and some weight to the stock (to affect balance) and now I have to be careful or she beats me. She shoots trap and skeet with it.
    I'm gonna start charging her rent on it:lol2: The 20g youth model was a waste of money, however it's for sale if you are interested.
    She does like 1oz loads more than 1-1/8oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom