• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also be aware that HA Co knows when you built that fence without a permit using updates satellite imagery. I tried to get a permit to build a set of stairs off an existing townhouse deck. Sat right there with the Building Permit guy and looked at the townhouse satellite pictures, year by year, until no deck was visible. Then they looked up permits for that address and found no deck permit. The county wouldn't issue the stair permit because it was going on an un-permitted deck.

So, what did you do? Just build the stairs?????

:D

Or can you do a retroactive permit?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I was trying to figure out how he bought the house without a survey.

When we bought ours, there was a survey, and for many years the property survey stakes were in place, except one my neighbor pulled up to avoid mowing over it. :)

Square lot, so only 4 markers needed.

Also, who put in the fence? If the OP, then he should of pulled the permit. If he had someone do it, THEY needed to pull the permit AND make sure they were within code.

Not all lenders require a survey. Some do and some don't. Location(cheap) and boundary(expensive) survey are different, too.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    th

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not all lenders require a survey. Some do and some don't. Location(cheap) and boundary(expensive) survey are different, too.

You are correct, but I would never buy a property without having a boundary survey done. I bought a new house in a planned community, but I still had a survey done with stakes at each change in the boundary. At the time, it was cheap. I only had to pay an additional $250 to have the stakes installed. They had to do the boundary survey to convey the property, so I only paid extra for the spikes to be driven into the ground.

I personally would insist that a proper survey and stakes installed for a new property purchase. I want to know exactly what's mine from the very beginning.

Imagine buying an existing house with a neighbor having a fence around their back yard, only to find out that his fence is 2 ft on your property. I would want that cleared up BEFORE I move in.

Just one man's opinion...

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    A friend of mine lucked out in a deal like this. She owns some property in another state and her neighbor decided to install a septic tank. He messed up with the property lines and she now has a septic tank already installed on her property waiting for the day that she decides to build a house. Or, if she just decides to sell, it will help her property value.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel

I recently pulled out my survey from when I purchased my house. I think it was around $300 and was only good to within 3 feet. After marking some of those points I think it isn't even within 3 feet.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'd get the survey done and then build the most obnoxious looking fence I could find at that one spot painted fuchsia or something else.. Bullies only respect force.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    I recently pulled out my survey from when I purchased my house. I think it was around $300 and was only good to within 3 feet. After marking some of those points I think it isn't even within 3 feet.

What kind of survey is good to within only 3'? Zoning not gonna be happy when you're suppose to honor a 10' setback and you tell them "well it's 10' off the line, plus or minus 3'!

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    What kind of survey is good to within only 3'? Zoning not gonna be happy when you're suppose to honor a 10' setback and you tell them "well it's 10' off the line, plus or minus 3'!
    Why would zoning require a 10' setback?
    Or are you speaking in generalities?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm getting very confused. When I got my permit for my deck, Harford County told me to look in my settlement paperwork and get a copy of my plat (which is the official survey of your property). I don't understand why people don't have copies. I do know Harford County said will look up your deed and make a copy of your plat survey (not sure of the cost).

I can't imagine why anyone would do a survey and it's only good for a 3' variance. Not to mention that the OP didn't get a plat survey when they bought the house. How could someone sell their house and the buyer accept a deed with a survey which isn't close to being accurate.

I may be misunderstanding or something isn't right in my brain.

Last edited:

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel

Right, I was pretty disappointed. They didn't put stakes down or anything. I just got a drawing that said my property line was X feet from the corners of the house in certain directions. Completely useless but required for the mortgage.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not completely useless. You have a fixed position and a distance and direction. So you can put down your own stakes.

And even if they had put down stakes, who says someone would not pull them or move them?

My neighbor pulled one of the stakes from my survey. But I had the other 3 (square lot) and the dimensions. Maybe only one or two left. But enough to site my garage when I built it.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm getting very confused. When I got my permit for my deck, Harford County told me to look in my settlement paperwork and get a copy of my plat (which is the official survey of your property). I don't understand why people don't have copies. I do know Harford County said will look up your deed and make a copy of your plat survey (not sure of the cost).

I can't imagine why anyone would do a survey and it's only good for a 3' variance. Not to mention that the OP didn't get a plat survey when they bought the house. How could someone sell their house and the buyer accept a deed with a survey which isn't close to being accurate.

I may be misunderstanding or something isn't right in my brain.

The survey you get at settlement is generally a "house location survey" which is insufficient for the proper location of the boundary lines. A subdivision plat is useful but only if you can locate all the boundary pins or monuments on the ground. A boundary survey upfront is well worth the money. And for the record, I'm not trying to drum up business for the survey community but after working in the real property/right-of-way field for 30 years, I've had more than my share of boundary issues to resolve.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Not completely useless. You have a fixed position and a distance and direction. So you can put down your own stakes.

And even if they had put down stakes, who says someone would not pull them or move them?

My neighbor pulled one of the stakes from my survey. But I had the other 3 (square lot) and the dimensions. Maybe only one or two left. But enough to site my garage when I built it.

I had a formal boundary survey done on my last home complete with stakes...

I carefully marked the locations with using wires at 90 degrees at each stake...

Then I used a post hole digger to dig 18" deep holes...

At the exact center of each stake I drove in a 1" diameter steel pipe x 3" feet deep into the earth...

Next I filled the holes with HD concrete & tapped the pipes flush with the concrete & about 1" above the surrounding earth...

You can relocate the steel pipes with a magnet any time & put a dowel or smaller pipe to relocate the corners...

It works...

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Why would zoning require a 10' setback?
    Or are you speaking in generalities?

My survey registered with the county has 2 different property lines (total of over 2'000') with a 10' set back. No building can be erected within the setback.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    My survey registered with the county has 2 different property lines (total of over 2'000') with a 10' set back. No building can be erected within the setback.
    Ahh no building. I am only concerned about a fence set back distance.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Fences aren't usually included in property setbacks. They are considered removable. The setback is meant for anything permanent, something with a foundation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom