• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I've nearly squirreled away enough funds for an RPR in 6 Creedmoor. (hoping to sell my Magnetospeed soon) My youngest kid will be turning 12 and she's interested in F-Class. She's a little bitty thing so I like the low recoil and good ballistics of the 6 for 3x600 matches. I considered .223 but prefer something that I'm going to want to shoot too out to ~1k. She's shy and we tried shooting with some fine folks doing Olympic style 10m air rifle but she just couldn't come out of her shell and ended up not wanting to continue. So 2 questions:

1. Any other folks with girls interested in this kind of shooting? PM me and perhaps we can work out some travel to near-ish matches in 2018.

2. Generally, are match directors willing to work with a dad who wants to shoot a stage and keep the kid close? Essentially I'm asking if I have to just spectate and spot to stay together or can I shoot too?

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Bridgeville used to have F-Class club matches, and they may still be going on. They also have NRA F-Class matches and those are a bit larger and might not work for you, but the club matches were very informal and offered lots of help to anyone who wanted it. You might check with them to see if they are still running the club matches and let them know what you are trying to do. The club matches I used to attend were 600 yards and were very relaxed and enjoyable, but still had great focus on safety.

Can't hurt to give them a call.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I often shoot at fort hill in Cumberland and maybe 30 people or so tops. You can request to shoot together at Cumberland, example...she shoot and you score and then she scores and you shoot. Works out pretty well.

Reade range now has electronic targets....so you should be able to be on the target and sequential relays.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    AGC has reduced accross-the-course matchs that you could coach her. A .223 would be better for a 12 year old IMO. I do not see any reason you could not coach you daughter a Bridgeville if you are set at shooting at 600 yards. Again I recommend a .223. There are several shooters using them at 600 yards.

IMO thousand yard shooting is a whole different animal and she can try it after a few dozen 600 yard matches. Again if she can stand the recoil of whatever rifle she will use.

Good luck

Jerry

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Your request would be fine in Cumberland. Best case scenario is a 4 relay rotation where I could squad you both together, then you both go to the pits together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom