• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Three of us are wanting to head out west next rifle season to chase elk and mule deer. Two of us have been out previously, tagged on a mulie one year and elk the other. We have done DIY previously, but are interested in a guide this time.

We aren't looking for luxury, canned hunts or rediculous promises. We know the likely hood of tagging an animal. Not looking for the hefty price tags either.

We are willing to rough camp, work hard and walk all over. Have experience with horses and able to help take care of them, willing to eat mountain house every meal!

We can put in for group preference points for WY now if necessary. We have been to western WY and would like to get into the Bridger wilderness, hence needing a guide. Sublette, Teton or Fremont counties. FYI, residents can become guides and lead parties into the wilderness. Or, the frank church RONR and salmon/challis wilderness in Idaho.

So, has anyone had any experiences with guides? We can probably go $3k each, but that's a stretch. Most I'm finding online start at $5k. Prefer to hear of experiences or recommendations. Posts or PM if you don't want to share.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    As stated above, the Harrisburg show is a great place to meet and talk to outfitters. Another option is to attend RMEF Banquets and bid on one of the donated hunts. MD has two RMEF Banquets each year and some good hunts are donated by outfitters. Or head up into Pa for one of their many banquets: http://www.rmef.org/Pennsylvania

Never used any of the outfitters from the RMEF Outfitters Camp, fortunately my brother-in-law lived in CO and hunted with him.

Cut and pasted from RMEF Outfitters Camp

The Outfitter’s Camp is a listing of big game outfitters, guides and hunting consultants—members of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation who demonstrate their concern for elk, other wildlife and conservation through their support of the Foundation. The RMEF is not involved in the management of these businesses and cannot guarantee the services provided. Outfitter support greatly enhances the RMEF’s ability to work for wildlife.

http://www.rmef.org/TheHunt/Before/OutfittersCamp.aspx

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks for the info, I didn't even think about the RMEF. I'll check it out.

We go to the show every year, but want to set things up prior to so we can secure preference points if necessary.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    There is a hunting forum called Rokslide that focuses on Western hunting. Might be worth a look.

Randy Newberg has a hunting forum as well that is western hunting focused.

Might be some useful information on those sites.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Please select a location that you can kill wolves in. If you are wanting the elk to keep being there, the wolves need thinned out. Buy wolf tags. Shoot any you can. Locals say they are killing off way too many elk in all the western wolf areas. I don't know any guides though.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Please select a location that you can kill wolves in. If you are wanting the elk to keep being there, the wolves need thinned out. Buy wolf tags. Shoot any you can. Locals say they are killing off way too many elk in all the western wolf areas. I don't know any guides though.

They want them thinned but you need to BUY a wolf tag? :rolleyes: Elk would be fine but if they're going to charge to kill a predator and let it lay waste...........

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    They want them thinned but you need to BUY a wolf tag? :rolleyes: Elk would be fine but if they're going to charge to kill a predator and let it lay waste...........

Wolf & bear tags in Idaho are cheap, note following.

Rifle or Arch Elk & Deer $4200
    wolf tags $31.75 and bear tags only $41.75
    (Sept & Oct) 7-day adventure 5 days hunting. Limited Guaranteed Tag NoDraw $1000 dep. required to confirm res. Lic ($571.50 Rifle Elk, Deer tags $301.50, Arch perm $20 due Jan 1st the year of hunt. $1000 2nd dep. due prior to Feb 1st year of the hunt. Final dep. & 9% tax/use due 30 days prior to start of hunt.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Wolf & bear tags in Idaho are cheap, note following.

Rifle or Arch Elk & Deer $4200
    wolf tags $31.75 and bear tags only $41.75
    (Sept & Oct) 7-day adventure 5 days hunting. Limited Guaranteed Tag NoDraw $1000 dep. required to confirm res. Lic ($571.50 Rifle Elk, Deer tags $301.50, Arch perm $20 due Jan 1st the year of hunt. $1000 2nd dep. due prior to Feb 1st year of the hunt. Final dep. & 9% tax/use due 30 days prior to start of hunt.

Bear I grasp but are wolves a real nuisance there or do small numbers kill just to survive? If so they should encourage dropping them much like crows, coyotes and other destructive critters.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Most of what I read on rokslide is diy stuff, I'll keep my eyes open though.

Buddy got a wolf last year. With Idaho tags, you can use your elk/deer for a wolf bear or lion as well.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Bear I grasp but are wolves a real nuisance there or do small numbers kill just to survive? If so they should encourage dropping them much like crows, coyotes and other destructive critters.

IDAHO

Hunters and trappers have harvested about 1,300 wolves since 2009, resulting in a lower population, but still well above the minimum wolf population required by the federal government. Hunting and trapping wolves have benefited elk herds with higher elk survival rates in several areas of the state.

WYO

Wolf and Livestock Deaths Hit Record High in Wyoming
    A federal report says gray wolves killed a record number of livestock in Wyoming last year, and wildlife managers responded by killing a record number of wolves that were responsible.

Utah study: 'Crowded' wolves raid other packs, kill pups

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    IDAHO

Hunters and trappers have harvested about 1,300 wolves since 2009, resulting in a lower population, but still well above the minimum wolf population required by the federal government. Hunting and trapping wolves have benefited elk herds with higher elk survival rates in several areas of the state.

WYO

Wolf and Livestock Deaths Hit Record High in Wyoming
    A federal report says gray wolves killed a record number of livestock in Wyoming last year, and wildlife managers responded by killing a record number of wolves that were responsible.

Utah study: 'Crowded' wolves raid other packs, kill pups

Good nuff, no "extra" stamp should be required. JMHO, put it in with basic license if they're that much a pita..

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    FoxTrapper has done her homework. You can bet on it.

Just back from PacNorWest and saw plenty game. Book there is on a bugger of a winter this year.

Between predators and Mother Nature, the deer, elk, moose, sheep and goats are gonna have a damn hard year.

Hunting coyotes and wolves is definitely not a bad thing. At least not right now.

YMMV but if it does, make sure it's under informed circumstances.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Are you dead set on Wyoming Or Idaho?
    We met what we thought were great people at the last NRA outdoor show in Harrisburg this past February.
    They're called Broken Arrow Lodge & Outfitters but they're located in Montana.

In case you're interested here's the link to their website:
    http://brokenarrowlodge.com/

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Good nuff, no "extra" stamp should be required. JMHO, put it in with basic license if they're that much a pita..

Hunted for over 30 years, during Maine's firearms season (Nov). The firearm license included a bear up until sometime in the mid or late 2000's. Then all non-residents & aliens hunting in what they call (late season) a bear hunting permit is required.

Yep, it was another way of generating revenue from non-residents.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Hunted for over 30 years, during Maine's firearms season (Nov). The firearm license included a bear up until sometime in the mid or late 2000's. Then all non-residents & aliens hunting in what they call (late season) a bear hunting permit is required.

Yep, it was another way of generating revenue from non-residents.

Id hunt bear for a price at least those we eat, wolves not if I gotta pay extra OR of I were a rancher. Coyotes are part of the consolidated in Md... correct, wolves should be the same if they really wanted to thin them. Again, JMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom