• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I have traditionally shot Kent BB for goose and 4 shot for ducks. This year I picked up a few boxes of the new Browning ammo to give it a try. They have a $5 per box rebate available which brings these to about $15 per.

We will see. Anyone have any experience wth this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I bought a case of black cloud high velocity 3's from PSA with free shipping and with the $75 rebate they were $75 a case. I have like 5 cases of steel shot but I'm a glutton for a good deal.........

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I shoot Black Clouds in a Super Black Eagle II. I know there's better stuff out there, but it's what I'm willing to pay for. (Hevi-Shot is really good stuff, but at $4-$5 *a shot*, it's a little rich for my blood.)

For ducks, 3 1/2" #4's, for snowies, 3 1/2" #2's, and for Canada's, usually 3 1/2" BB's or B's. For snowies, I also usually bring some 3", too, it case we're really blasting away all day and by noon my shoulder can't take it, anymore.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    For snowies, I also usually bring some 3", too, it case we're really blasting away all day and by noon my shoulder can't take it, anymore.

Woosie :D:innocent0

(I do the same thing)

There is a noticeable difference between 3" and 3.5"

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Woosie :D:innocent0

(I do the same thing)

There is a noticeable difference between 3" and 3.5"

I spent the better part of a 296 bird day shooting 3.5's and since then I only buy 3 in. They kill birds just as dead without the dislocated retinas. Plus my A300 is only a 3 in chamber so I buy what will run in all the goose guns.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've always bought Kent for a very silly reason--I initially thought it had some connection to Kent Island. Nope! But oh well, it's usually a good price and I know it works. I've never had a dud round and have taken plenty of birds.

I like #4 for ducks and BB for geese. I think some people use #1 for geese but I always go with BB myself.

Lots of solid advice here about taking a few minutes to pattern your gun's shot spread with different choke and ammo combinations.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Winchester 3" steel shot

If anyone is interested in a great deal on Winchester Steel shot give me a shout. I have 7 boxes of T shot, 4 boxes of number 4 and 4 boxes of number 2 steel shot, all 3".

Want to sell as a lot, $150 takes it all.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    My preference is Remington, 12 gauge, 3", 1-3/8 oz, #2 through a M or IM choke. No exhaustive ballistics data or extensive field testing to justify my preference. Remington just seems to be good quality and what I've had good luck with over the years. I like the tight chokes for clean kills, or clean misses.

After years shooting an 1187 I've moved to a Weatherby SA-08 Waterfowler. The 1187 got gunked up and jammed relatively quickly and it seemed like too pretty of a gun to keep beating around in a duck boat.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I took down a good amount of geese with Kent BB last week with a modified choke. I used a few shells that are labeled "precision" (more expensive) and one box of the regulars. I didn't notice any difference between them. All performed perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom