• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have started fires many ways over the years. Most of them have been started with a Bic lighter.

I was in the checkout line at Walmart last week and they had a 5 pack of Scripto lighters for $2. I grabbed one and put a few in my get home bag.
    I have some of the other fire starting "stuff" but a lighter is a lighter.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The other day (last Saturday), before a shooting/training interation/event, I was chatting with one of our club officers; a long time friend of mine, who's more of a prepper/whatever, than I am (or ever was).

We were talking about fire starting and the best options. I'm convinced, there is no better option considering all facors (cost, weight, size, effectiveness, etc.) that the long burning UCO Titan StormProof matches.

Looks like MassDrop is running this super low price special on them again, heres the link: http://dro.ps/b/UEqfx79

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/23524

Looks like you will need a decent dry striker. Then again I wonder if these matches would strike off of a conventional match striker, or fingernail file, or course canvas, etc.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I just paid $15 or so for this offer.

In a few weeks I'll (paid for and) receive another set (30+) of these awesome matches.

Those of you that know me, and especially those that have indicated to me that they have taken advantage of this deal and/or picked up these matches, good on you.

Just like so many of you have let me shoot your guns and ammo; and as I have done the same. I will carry a few matches with me out and about where I travel. If/when you might join me in public, please just ask (with the magic words), and I'll be happy to give you one of these matches to test one for yourself.

Peace.
    Not for haters.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Nothing beats the light weight of just two of those titan matches, laying head to tail and wrapped in aluminum foil.

For EDC, I think this is the ultimate lighter, and its now on order for my GHB (get home bag):

http://dro.ps/b/1uJfx79

Plazmatic X USB-Rechargeable Lighter
    ~$40
    (the black ops model already sold out)

MD-22310_20160701111609_298e84cd14cc054a.jpg

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Watch TV. Stay in a hotel. Buy your meat! After spending nearly 30 outside for work, from North Dakota to the Middle East I don't rough it at if possible but good for you guys! I always carried a small torch and heat tabs. The crackers in MRE's burn well also.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    For me, nothing beats a strip of fatwood and a Bic lighter. +1 for the vaseline and cotton balls suggestion, too. I always have that in the same ziplock as my fatwood and lighter in my first aid kit for hunting/hiking.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    My Boy Scout Son's favorite fire starter......

Empty TP roll stuffed full of dryer lint, he puts them in zip lock snack bags.

Lay one down, pull out some lint as a wick, and lay on some kindling.

PS.....if you want to know why you should keep your lint filter clean, light one of these babies off!!!!!!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My Boy Scout Son's favorite fire starter......

Empty TP roll stuffed full of dryer lint, he puts them in zip lock snack bags.

Lay one down, pull out some lint as a wick, and lay on some kindling.

PS.....if you want to know why you should keep your lint filter clean, light one of these babies off!!!!!!

Glad you mentioned it first. Now it doesn't seem so strange.

One TP roll shoved inside another. Mix up equal parts lighter fluid and boiled linseed oil.

Let the rolls soak up the mixture and store in a gallon sized zip lock bag. Just tear some off to help start a fire. A little goes a long way.

Paper Tube Fire Starter 001.jpg

Paper Tube Fire Starter 002.jpg

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    +1 for the Vaseline cotton balls/ dryer lint. Also, hand sanitizer, and alcohol wipes from the first aid kit if you can spare them.

Q

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    We teach our boy scouts fire starting right from the start, and they are not allowed to use matches or a lighter for their first year.
    Most prefer a flint and steel/magnesium bar. I have seen some of these boys start and maintain a fire on top of snow in the rain.:party29:

My favorite emergency tinder is rolled newspaper tied every inch with string. Cut the paper between the strings, gives you 1" pieces. Then dip them in melted wax, light the string as a wick. Waterproof and they burn a long time.
    I use old citronella candle buckets that have used up their wick, melt several used buckets into one, gives you plenty of wax to make a lot of fire starters.
    May even keep a few bugs away for a while

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    We teach our boy scouts fire starting right from the start, and they are not allowed to use matches or a lighter for their first year.
    Most prefer a flint and steel/magnesium bar. I have seen some of these boys start and maintain a fire on top of snow in the rain.:party29:

My favorite emergency tinder is rolled newspaper tied every inch with string. Cut the paper between the strings, gives you 1" pieces. Then dip them in melted wax, light the string as a wick. Waterproof and they burn a long time.
    I use old citronella candle buckets that have used up their wick, melt several used buckets into one, gives you plenty of wax to make a lot of fire starters.
    May even keep a few bugs away for a while

Very cool. Show them how to make char cloth.

I read somewhere that citronella didn't really repel insects unfortunately. Also the glowing/hanging bug zappers only attract insects.

EHinson

Apr 23, 2016
    Anyone want a challenge? Walk out of your house with no other preparation than what you have in your pockets and not using any stored supplies or firewood: start a fire and gather enough firewood so you could boil a coffee can full of water.

I actually tried this a few months back and I could not get one started with magnesium, flint, and steel it was a little wet but I felt disheartened any suggestions?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Anyone want a challenge? Walk out of your house with no other preparation than what you have in your pockets and not using any stored supplies or firewood: start a fire and gather enough firewood so you could boil a coffee can full of water.

I actually tried this a few months back and I could not get one started with magnesium, flint, and steel it was a little wet but I felt disheartened any suggestions?

I hope to never have to sleep outside or even in a tent again; 20 years in the Army, and I've had my fill. Having said that, I do think it's important to know and occasionally practice this skill, including some of the best primitive methods.

A couple winters ago we stepped out into the woods to test a few ideas, and like you had difficulty getting fire started in the cold, with damp wood. Lessons learned were, carry several different ways to ignite a fire (lighter, matches, ferro rod, magnifying glass, all good options), carry your tinder (we've been saving lint, cotton balls in vasoline, and char cloth are all great), get dead dry wood. Know your trees, birch bark is amazing.

Practice safely. In the city or suburbs, can practice at a grill or fire pit.

We ended up sparking a flame from a ferro rod into a dry paper towel we brought, and got the fire started with small dry twigs/sticks from fallen dead tree. Burned very well in kelly kettle (KK), the damp sticks created white smoke. The KK boiled water super fast, highly recommended.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Glad you mentioned it first. Now it doesn't seem so strange.

One TP roll shoved inside another. Mix up equal parts lighter fluid and boiled linseed oil.

Let the rolls soak up the mixture and store in a gallon sized zip lock bag. Just tear some off to help start a fire. A little goes a long way.

View attachment 192811

View attachment 192812
    I'd be careful with linseed oil.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ConsumerNews/summer-safety-diy-dangers-linseed-oil/story?id=11328546

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    In addition to having what ever matches or lighters, I think its ultra important to know MANY ways to start a fire.
    Just as important is knowing resources and methods for setting up the kindling and taking that initial "fire" to a bigger "FIRE".
    Knowing what is flammable and useful for fires is important.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I cheat. I have trouble finding decent tinder in the woods or urban areas. An empty saline nasal spray bottle with denatured alcohol starts a fire with any ignition source and mediocre tinder. Gasoline would increase the burn temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom