• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Need back lot surveyed, define boundaries for fence install.

Please let me know cost and response time.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Need back lot surveyed, define boundaries for fence install.

Please let me know cost and response time.
    I would recommend looking at your site plan (normally part of your settlement records), getting the civil engineer's info from that and start there.

If the civil engineer has worked in your community before, especially on your lot, he will have records that will speed the process and reduce your costs. If the surveyor is starting from scratch, he will often have to pull everything from a benchmark and that could mean the additional cost of working his way down the block to locate your property.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I would recommend looking at your site plan (normally part of your settlement records), getting the civil engineer's info from that and start there.

If the civil engineer has worked in your community before, especially on your lot, he will have records that will speed the process and reduce your costs. If the surveyor is starting from scratch, he will often have to pull everything from a benchmark and that could mean the additional cost of working his way down the block to locate your property.

Agree or the the surveyor the settlement used to do your house/boundary plat.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I retired after 30 years in the right of way/land acquisition field and would not recommend using the House Location Survey given to you at settlement as a true and correct survey of your property for purposes of setting a fence or building a permanent structure - read the drawing language! A "house location survey" is really for purposes of confirming the structures on the property and possible encroachments and encumbrances. It is not a Boundary Line Survey which is prepared after an actual field survey, where monuments/pins - read property corners - are found and located or set, and the drawing is sealed by the licensed surveyor. A boundary line survey costs more but it's the real deal and you will then have your property corners set and located and the property lines formally established.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I retired after 30 years in the right of way/land acquisition field and would not recommend using the House Location Survey given to you at settlement as a true and correct survey of your property for purposes of setting a fence or building a permanent structure - read the drawing language! A "house location survey" is really for purposes of confirming the structures on the property and possible encroachments and encumbrances. It is not a Boundary Line Survey which is prepared after an actual field survey, where monuments/pins - read property corners - are found and located or set, and the drawing is sealed by the licensed surveyor. A boundary line survey costs more but it's the real deal and you will then have your property corners set and located and the property lines formally established.

Blow off the Sokia and come on out!

Thanks. I hate to spend this kind of cash..but...it's got to be done right, the first time.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Excellent advice. The only reason I would reference the original drawings is to get the engineer's name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom