Fly fishing: How long is backing good for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    As I dig through some old gear to ramp up my fishing efforts, I ran across a brand new real with backing on it. Totally forgot about it, but remember getting it 12yrs ago. Back then, I had backing put on it, but it has never been wet. Other than being a little stiff, still good?

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    As I dig through some old gear to ramp up my fishing efforts, I ran across a brand new real with backing on it. Totally forgot about it, but remember getting it 12yrs ago. Back then, I had backing put on it, but it has never been wet. Other than being a little stiff, still good?

Depends. If it is on your Tarpon rod, I'd change it yearly. If it's on your trout rod and never sees the light of day, it lasts forever.

Two different uses really. The first example, backing is your 'fighting line' when fishing for big fish that take long runs. The second example, the backing is just a filler for the reel spool.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Depends. If it is on your Tarpon rod, I'd change it yearly. If it's on your trout rod and never sees the light of day, it lasts forever.

Two different uses really. The first example, backing is your 'fighting line' when fishing for big fish that take long runs. The second example, the backing is just a filler for the reel spool.

Definitely not a tarpon rod... That is on my bucket list though.

I have a 6w that I used for the small/mid sized fish in the Susqy and parts of tha Bay. So, I guess somewhere in the middle.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I've had the same backing on my trout reels for a long time and never had a problem but I only hook into a trout that takes me into my backing every few years.

I was fishing in the Bahamas and the line/backing knot faile on a bonefish. I was lucky that the knot got caught in the guides so I didn't loose my flyline.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    Definitely not a tarpon rod... That is on my bucket list though.

I have a 6w that I used for the small/mid sized fish in the Susqy and parts of tha Bay. So, I guess somewhere in the middle.
    I would take the line off once a year and clean it and retie the two lines together.

Salt water and sand are the things you have to worry about. Imbedded in braided backing line can prematurely wear out guides.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom