• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    While I have chosen to apply and am fortunate to have the financial resources to do so, the cost of Maryland's system is discriminatory and unfair. Permits should not just be for the wealthy, business owners and/or government officials. Any law abiding citizen should be able to apply for and obtain a permit without cost impediments.

It is sad to me that whole process is designed to discourage applications...

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Well i just sent an E Mail asking about the Fredrick IWL having a MD Wear and Carry permit class in April that was free. Since I am disabled and on fixed income this will be a huge help to me. Unless anyone knows of a class before that and the price is not to bad please let me know. What do you think should i put down 14th amendment as a G&S and see what happens as was talked about in another MD post?

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Well i just sent an E Mail asking about the Fredrick IWL having a MD Wear and Carry permit class in April that was free. Since I am disabled and on fixed income this will be a huge help to me. Unless anyone knows of a class before that and the price is not to bad please let me know. What do you think should i put down 14th amendment as a G&S and see what happens as was talked about in another MD post?

The 14th reason will not float at MSP. Talk with the guys at Tyler Firearms, 410-921-6393, Halethorpe, MD 21227 for a class at a reasonable cost. They have a well priced package deal for you or anyone who wants to apply.

Lew--Ranger63

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The $350 is a bit steep for me since I am on limited income since I am disability. I gave MSP a call and they will not accept my contractor federal training that I had to go thru for the US Dept of State uniformed division. We had to go thru federal required training that they mandated for all contractors as well for firearms and PR24 and everything in between, On a different form here on MDShooters was talking about going the 14th amendment route to make a case of it before the board and then mabe to court.. anyway have a great day and thanks

ar154u

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 23, 2015
    The 14th reason will not float at MSP. Talk with the guys at Tyler Firearms, 410-921-6393, Halethorpe, MD 21227 for a class at a reasonable cost. They have a well priced package deal for you or anyone who wants to apply.

Lew--Ranger63

Exactly, the 14th Amendment won't work for the MSP which is a violation of the 14th Amendmenr. I myself am applying using the 14thA knowing full well I will be denied. This is on purpose so I may be able to take Maryland to court.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    And this is why I have suggested having veterans on this forum take the lead. Veterans are exempt from training so the total cost comes to around $140. I spent more then that on a small ammo order last night.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Veterans are exempt only from the HQL training, as I understand it. So the savings are trivial.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I don't know how everyone else feels, but for myself, I find it difficult to throw away $200, $300, or more and 16 hours of my life in training, fingerprint fees and the $75 application fee for something I know I have less than .01% chance of getting... I can't be alone and that's how MSP keeps their propaganda percentages so high for CCW permits. Even IF the permit was issued, as I understand it there is no reciprocity anywhere so it would be useless in any other state besides MD.

I thought there were a handful of states that recognize the Maryland permit.

Still, a lot of money for a almost certain denial.

Recognize, yes, reciprocate, no.
    Quite right Tim, but I was commenting on steveh326's post that it would be "useless" anywhere else.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You are very, very wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

From The MSI HQL wiki:
    The first step in obtaining the HQL is to obtain training. You do not need to take the training if you meet any of the following criteria:

Qualified handgun Instructors
    Honorably discharged military
    Employee of an armored car company with a carry permit issue for their job
    Lawfully own a regulated firearm or handgun
    Hold a valid Hunter Safety certificate

http://wiki.marylandshallissue.org/index.php?title=Maryland_Handgun_Qualification_License

You're welcome.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

I'm welcome for what? Your previous post said that vets were only exempt from training for the HQL and not for the CCW. I will repeat, YOU ARE WRONG. Instead of doing a WIKI search, how about just reading the law?

5–306.

2 (a) Subject to subsection (C) of this section, the Secretary shall issue a
    3 permit within a reasonable time to a person who the Secretary finds:

4 (1) is an adult;

5 (2) (i) has not been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor for
    6 which a sentence of imprisonment for more than 1 year has been imposed; or

7 (ii) if convicted of a crime described in item (i) of this item, has
    8 been pardoned or has been granted relief under 18 U.S.C. § 925(c);

9 (3) has not been convicted of a crime involving the possession, use, or
    10 distribution of a controlled dangerous substance;

11 (4) is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled
    12 dangerous substance unless the habitual use of the controlled dangerous substance is
    13 under legitimate medical direction

14 (5) EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (B) OF THIS SECTION,
    15 HAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED PRIOR TO APPLICATION AND EACH RENEWAL,
    16 A FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY THAT
    17 INCLUDES:

18 (I) 1. FOR AN INITIAL APPLICATION, A MINIMUM OF 16
    19 HOURS OF INSTRUCTION BY A QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR; OR

20 2. FOR A RENEWAL APPLICATION, 8 HOURS OF
    21 INSTRUCTION BY A QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR;

22 (II) CLASSROOM INSTRUCTION ON:

23 1. STATE FIREARM LAW;

24 2. HOME FIREARM SAFETY; AND

25 3. HANDGUN MECHANISMS AND OPERATION; AND

26 (III) A FIREARMS QUALIFICATION COMPONENT THAT
    27 DEMONSTRATES THE APPLICANT’S PROFICIENCY AND USE OF THE FIREARM;
    28 AND

29 (6) based on an investigation:

60 SENATE BILL 281

1 (i) has not exhibited a propensity for violence or instability that
    2 may reasonably render the person’s possession of a handgun a danger to the person or
    3 to another; and

4 (ii) has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport
    5 a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution
    6 against apprehended danger.

7 (B) AN APPLICANT FOR A PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED TO COMPLETE A
    8 CERTIFIED FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE UNDER SUBSECTION (A) OF THIS
    9 SECTION IF THE APPLICANT:

10 (1) IS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR A PERSON WHO IS
    11 RETIRED IN GOOD STANDING FROM SERVICE WITH A LAW ENFORCEMENT
    12 AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES, THE STATE, OR ANY LOCAL LAW
    13 ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IN THE STATE;

14 (2) IS A MEMBER , RETIRED MEMBER, OR HONORABLY
    15 DISCHARGED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR THE
    16 NATIONAL GUARD;

17 (3) IS