Moved To Maryland from CA, not sure what I can bring. Done my homework, need advice

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    You have escaped tyranny. Welcome to a lesser tyranny.

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    This is all great advice on here. I understand the concern. If you still don't want to risk dealing with MD, I recommend leaving your firearms with family. I did leave my firearms with my grandmother in the 1990s while I was in college. I was living in a dorm then had an apartment with roommates and didn't feel safe storing them. So I can relate but MD has some restrictive gun laws. I PM you ,if you want to talk.

I moved to Maryland for last year from CA for A 4-year graduate program. I plan to retain my California residency as I plan to move back after graduation. To my knowledge out of state students are not required change residency to Maryland within 90 days. (I will double check with the registrar to confirm this).

With this in mind, I have several firearms I would like to be able to take to the range:

Springfield 1911 (9mm-10 round mags)
    Ar-15 (Stag 15 lower, heavy barreled 18", 10 round mags, compensator)
    Remington 870
    Pump .22

I have done as much online research as possible, but most info discusses the cases when you change your residency and register the firearms within 90 days, which doesn't apply in my case. Here are my questions:
    (if possible put links of citations to the laws if you know them as I would like to have them for my record when moving them)

1) Can I bring these firearms over for the remainder of my program legally without having to register? Is it legal to have out of state purchased firearms?

2.) The AR-15 lower (stag-15) is on the banned copycat list of firearms, but it was built with a heavy barrel (18"), is this legal in MD? To my knowledge, the rifle is unregulated in Maryland due to having a heavy barrel, and shouldn't pose a problem. Is this correct, what code states this?

3.) Given that 1911 is considered a regulated firearm, can I bring this over given that it was purchased out of state? Do I need to/should I register it with MD even if I am not a resident? i.e. MSP-77R?

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ision/Firearms/RegulatedFirearmPurchases.aspx

According to the "as part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency." If I don't have the intent to become a resident does this circumvent the law, or do I just set myself up for a potential issue? Can I register it without changing residency?

4.) Who could I talk to make sure this is all above board...ATF, Maryland State Police? (I have called local gun shops, but I want some legit laws or legal code I can reference if I get hassled by the TSA when flying over.

If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated. Moreover, if you can cite the laws or post some links that I can print out while flying over, that would be awesome!

ajmc

Jun 27, 2018
    Contact the Maryland State Police Firearms Registration Section at: msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov or (410) 653-4621.
    "Although the Licensing Division encourages communication through e-mails, personnel can be contacted at 410-653-4500, M-F from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm., excluding published Holidays and Service Reduction Days. An alternative number is 410-653-4442."

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Full time students do not need to change their residency to the state where they go to school.

You do not need to register anything with MSP unless you are becoming a resident (see the MANY threads about active duty military).

You may NOT bring any banned firearms into the state, AT ALL, unless they were purchased prior to the date of the ban (10/1/13 for long guns). Residency does not play a part in this. One many not bring them into the state, even for a formal match.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    You almost certainly already know this, but if you change your residency to MD, you can buy off-roster pistols that would be difficult to get in CA. When you move back to CA you are allowed to keep them. The CA roster is unlike MD’s in that they drop off after some period of time and the manufacturer must submit examples for destructive testing to get them back on.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A full time student can purchase firearms in the state where they go to school.

They are one exemption to the BATFE rules about single state residency.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    A full time student can purchase firearms in the state where they go to school.

They are one exemption to the BATFE rules about single state residency.

Is that dependent on state law? I was not allowed to purchase a firearm as a nonresident graduate student in NYS. Would a nonresident be allowed to get an HQL?

There might be issues “importing” (their term) the firearm into CA when he returned. Although a CA resident 03 FFL can acquire C&R firearms out of state and register them within a certain time window, so maybe they use the same procedure.

apeter57

Jun 24, 2018
    Update: Relocating to MD from CA (spoke to MSP)

All of you guys have been very helpful in your recommendations and advice for sorting this out.

Over the last few days, I went to my institution's registrar to try and determine my residence requirements. According to the tax office, I am considered a Maryland "tax" resident, as I receive a stipend for my research. With this said they consider my "permanent residency" in CA as I have my W2 sent back to CA, have a CA driver's license, and have jury duty back there ect.

Part of the ambiguity without or state residence exemptions occurred because I am no longer a dependant. They couldnt give me a concrete answer for what the legal definition of a resident beyond the purposes of MD tax residency (which I pay).

I then proceeded to call the MSP, surprisingly they were all very helpful and seemingly far more pleasant about firearms than in CA. (I once was nearly handcuffed while shooting a Mosin Nagant, when the forest service police saw I had a detachable baldness bayonet with me (technically a screwdriver as it has no edges). I respectfully cited the legal code saying bolt action rifle and could not be considered an evil featured "assault weapon". Cop didnt say a word to me and drove off in a rage.)

Anyways I was tempted to record the call as one of you suggested, but MD law forbids it without the consent of all parties. I didn't want to raise any red flags initially, so I chose not to. They informed none of the unregulated firearms including the AR (which is a CA bullet button assault rifle) pose any issues so long as they are transported unloaded, locked etc. To be honest though, they weren't 100% sure about legal residency but would consider me a long-term visitor.

Regarding 1911, they asked if I had the intent to move back to CA. When I told them yes, they asked how long I have left in my program. With about 3 years remaining, they recommended that the pistol be registered with MSP as an uninformed officer could potentially create an issue with this if they traced back that I have been working full-time in MD and paying taxes. Also, they said there could significant legal hassles if I ever had to declare it missing/stolen.

Lastly, I asked them about if I ever get pulled over what the best protocol would be given the CA plates. They recommended I carry the purchase receipt/ CA registration of 1911 with me for good measure. While they said I am not legally required to declare I have firearms in the car, you never know these days how routine traffic stops can escalate even when being respectful.

I plan to register the pistol with MSP for the piece of mind. Just need to show a proof of a domicile like an internet bill. I don't plan to be in MD long term so when I move away, it will be out of their jurisdiction anyway. Just bought some nice TSA approved Plano Hard Cases for the trip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029KDHQI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may post a follow up about my experience flying back.

Summary: Bringing the rifles, shotgun, registering the pistol.

Final questions, does MD have any restrictions on reloading? I saw you cant have over 5 lbs of powder, and other sources say you need a license. I may bring my reloading press if there is room.

Thanks again for the help and welcomes!!!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    5lb of powder in single family dwelling . Zero powder in multi-family building .

If for your personal use , no licensing . Selling , or giving away out of your presence requires Federal licensing plus ITAR registration.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is that dependent on state law? I was not allowed to purchase a firearm as a nonresident graduate student in NYS. Would a nonresident be allowed to get an HQL?

There might be issues “importing” (their term) the firearm into CA when he returned. Although a CA resident 03 FFL can acquire C&R firearms out of state and register them within a certain time window, so maybe they use the same procedure.

True, state laws may get in the way.

But Federal law allows purchase in two states for full time students and active duty military when they are studying or assigned to a state different than their home of record.

NYS is just bizarre. Not sure if HQL could be gotten without residency. Active duty military do not need the HQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom