Thought I'd say hi - 24, looking for first gun!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Jan 13, 2014
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, overwhelmed at the helpfulness in less than 12 hours. From the sounds of it, a Ruger MKIII or 22/45 seems to be the best "bang for my buck" in terms of ease of use, reliability, and performance.

The range I am planning to take my HQL class at does allow rentals of a couple of .22s (Sig Mosquito and S&W .22A), so I'll be trying those out as well. Also found a great guy who is willing to let me test out a couple of his 9mm and .38s.

Jan 13, 2014
    Silver Spring, MD
    Welcome from the Eastern Shore! Good luck in your pursuit of your 1st handgun. I have a Buckmark Camper and it is great!

That's another model I was looking at. However, having a hard time telling the differences between the Camper and the 22/45 - they look to be the same general design and have many of the same features (single action, 5"+ barrel, not finnicky with ammo).

I take it you love your Browning?

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Welcome aboard. I have a Browning Buckmark that I really like. I also suggest shooting a few to see what fits you. They all don't have to be done at the same place. You will get a feel for them. Congrats on exercising your right to own a firearm.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome.
    The bottom line is you need to fondle and preferably shoot a variety of pistols to see which fit you best , and has a balance that is pleasing to you.

Boradly generalizing there are three catagories of .22lr pistols :

1. Stand alone general use pistols - the various Rugers , Buckmarks , and a cpl others of lesser popularity.

2. Understudy pistols - .22lr version of a centerfire pistol suitable for practice and training closely applicable to a specific popular centerfire. Some , but not all , have design compromises to be not quite as accurate or reliable as stand alone , but are desirable for matching your other pistol. - examples - SR-22, M&P-22 , Walther P22 , Sig Mosquito , the various .22 1911's both full size and 7/8th size.

3. Pocket/ Backup guns ( also understudy for .25, .32, .380 pocket guns) . Presumably not what you're looking for.

There is overlap here. Some full size understudy guns will be accurate enough for all around use. The basic skills learned from stand alone guns are still basic skills. And a few of the pocket guns are accurate enough for semi-serious plinking.

And don't overlook revolvers! In particular a dual cylnder .22lr / .22WMR give the possability of a substantial increase in power. In SA revolvers Heratige is very reasonable , but somtimes rougher action/ trigger. Ruger Single Six ( or Bearcat ) are excellent , but could push the upper end of your price range. In DA rev , the rimfire Tarauses I've owned or handled left me severley disapointed with the triggers. But in your price range , you'd be looking at used.

If you were to give your area and some notice of when you're planning a range trip , you'll probably have some members willing to meet you and share some interesting pistols.

Jan 13, 2014
    Silver Spring, MD
    1. Stand alone general use pistols - the various Rugers , Buckmarks , and a cpl others of lesser popularity.

2. Understudy pistols - .22lr version of a centerfire pistol suitable for practice and training closely applicable to a specific popular centerfire. Some , but not all , have design compromises to be not quite as accurate or reliable as stand alone , but are desirable for matching your other pistol. - examples - SR-22, M&P-22 , Walther P22 , Sig Mosquito , the various .22 1911's both full size and 7/8th size.

3. Pocket/ Backup guns ( also understudy for .25, .32, .380 pocket guns) . Presumably not what you're looking for.

There is overlap here. Some full size understudy guns will be accurate enough for all around use. The basic skills learned from stand alone guns are still basic skills. And a few of the pocket guns are accurate enough for semi-serious plinking.

And don't overlook revolvers! In particular a dual cylnder .22lr / .22WMR give the possability of a substantial increase in power. In SA revolvers Heratige is very reasonable , but somtimes rougher action/ trigger. Ruger Single Six ( or Bearcat ) are excellent , but could push the upper end of your price range. In DA rev , the rimfire Tarauses I've owned or handled left me severley disapointed with the triggers. But in your price range , you'd be looking at used.

You, sir, are awesome. Thank you for the advice - means I have a lot more research to do still!

If you were to give your area and some notice of when you're planning a range trip , you'll probably have some members willing to meet you and share some interesting pistols.

I live in Silver Spring, MD - not exactly full of options here in Montgomery County. I am heading to Maryland Small Arms Range on the 22nd for my HQL class, and am planning on stopping by United Gun Shop in Rockville sometime this week - Dan there is going to help me with the first-time process and all this confusing shenanigans!!

I would be more than happy to have company who could give me tips or advice, even better if you could come with! I have found one guy (who went to my high school a couple years before me, of all things) who is going to take me to a range in NOVA to fire some 9mm and .38.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Wow, overwhelmed at the helpfulness in less than 12 hours. From the sounds of it, a Ruger MKIII or 22/45 seems to be the best "bang for my buck" in terms of ease of use, reliability, and performance.

The range I am planning to take my HQL class at does allow rentals of a couple of .22s (Sig Mosquito and S&W .22A), so I'll be trying those out as well. Also found a great guy who is willing to let me test out a couple of his 9mm and .38s.

They have a similar design philosophy, entry level target pistol. There are differences in grip, take down, trigger ect. But they are comparable to each other.

Then you have more modern designs, usually based off of centerfire designs, like this for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1c4EhG7kwE

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have an M&P 22 on order from Engage. From my research it looks pretty solid albeit slightly more than the OP wants to spend.

I won a Sparrow from Duffy's so I need a gun to put it on !

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I've been reading lots about pieces like the SR22 , or more "standard" designs. Those do seem a lot more complex though, especially for rookie level.

How? They are meant to mimic the design of their centerfire counterparts, which are generally simpler designs than pistols of years past and target guns like the buckmark/ruger Mk III and 22/45.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Welcome. I might suggest safety class AND a training course to teach technique, grip etc plus range etiquette.

I think having this class or instruction early can make all the difference in your choice and enjoyment of whatever selection you make.
    IMHO, all the handguns being mentioned are solid firearms with a good track record!
    Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom