"Gunty Club" proposed in Baltimore County (Owings Mills)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    "Guntry Club" proposed in Baltimore County (Owings Mills)

The owners envision a 25 yd tactical range where police chase moving targets to hone tactical skills.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-md-co-guntry-club-20171112-story.html

The partners expect to spend about $8 million in renovations to turn the 84,000-square-foot, one-story office building on Red Run Boulevard — which used to house a credit card processing firm — into a facility with five shooting ranges and posh amenities .

The club would be open to members and walk-in customers. Landsman said entry-level membership would start at $100 plus a $40 monthly fee. Memberships for families, businesses and VIPs would be more.

“Right now, we can put our hands on 1,000 people who want to be members,” he said.

Of course...
    Some facilities eschew the “guntry club” label that Landsman and Wolf are embracing, Bazinet said, fearing that it implies a level of exclusivity or snobbery

Training is to include shooting while holding your nose in the air and drinking a latte and chasing moving targets....

Actually the real problem is raising $8-10 million for the project. The proposed project in Beltsville failed to raise the money. With only about 20,000 W&C permit holders in MD, I am not envisioning enough demand for upscale latte sipping training. Maybe someday when MD honors the constitution...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    lol. fixed. Wouldn't be MDS without at least one typo in the title. 2:
    You're one of the few that I would mention it to because you write well and persuasively. Don't need the odd distraction of a thread title typo.

I do hope that they're able to build their facility, maybe catering to a larger shooting community like Heritage does.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I thought the one in Beltsville was going to come up out of the ground so the cost estimates seemed correct. 8 mil to renovate an existing building is a ton of money.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Gotta love the Scumpapers headline: "A high-end 'guntry club' has Owings Mills in its sights", because you know opening a business needs an implication of somehow doing something bad to a community.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've reached my monthly limit for the scumpaper , but I'll presume it's the usual type of proposed business plans

Range systems , and particularly OSHA complient air handling and filtering aren't cheap . Having heard how many $ millions basic indoor facilities with industrial ambiance will require , you can indeed use a cubic ton of $$ initially doing either flexible , dynamic range facilities, OR upscale amenities.

Could upscale Guntry Clubs be an actual thing ? Sure. There is a price point threshold where the simple fact of being stupid expensive creates a sense of cachet just for being expensive .Rich people showing off conspicuous consumption , and latest status entertainment for entertaining clients of partners on corporate expense account.

Of course the would have to deliberately drive away the core shooting range demographic , so the yuppies and fat cats wouldn't have " us " around to spoil their vibe .

Yeah , big reach for that to happen, all by itself .
    So such an endeavor would need substantial.gov contracts for bread & butter, and rich yuppie social club that happen to also have a shooting lane for the icing.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hmm...having shot on a couple of ranges in Europe that were very upscale, it could work. And by upscale, I mean both a decent bar/grill on the premises and Olympic-class ranges. Probably work better in Montgomery or Anne Arundel County, though. And you'd need both skeet and trap fields.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I've reached my monthly limit for the scumpaper , but I'll presume it's the usual type of proposed business plans

Range systems , and particularly OSHA complient air handling and filtering aren't cheap . Having heard how many $ millions basic indoor facilities with industrial ambiance will require , you can indeed use a cubic ton of $$ initially doing either flexible , dynamic range facilities, OR upscale amenities.

Could upscale Guntry Clubs be an actual thing ? Sure. There is a price point threshold where the simple fact of being stupid expensive creates a sense of cachet just for being expensive .Rich people showing off conspicuous consumption , and latest status entertainment for entertaining clients of partners on corporate expense account.

Of course the would have to deliberately drive away the core shooting range demographic , so the yuppies and fat cats wouldn't have " us " around to spoil their vibe .

Yeah , big reach for that to happen, all by itself .
    So such an endeavor would need substantial.gov contracts for bread & butter, and rich yuppie social club that happen to also have a shooting lane for the icing.

These "guntry clubs" aren't quite like you think (I think). More like a range you actually enjoy going to instead of something you will settle for. I've been to several down south and they are more like Heritage if you've been there.

I'd rather drive 45 mins to Heritage than 10 minutes to On Target for example.

The ranges down south are even bigger than Heritage and go out to 100 yards, sims training, etc.. Super nice, but not unaffordable for an afternoon of plinking with the family on Christmas Eve.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hmm...having shot on a couple of ranges in Europe that were very upscale, it could work. And by upscale, I mean both a decent bar/grill on the premises and Olympic-class ranges. Probably work better in Montgomery or Anne Arundel County, though. And you'd need both skeet and trap fields.

I agree. Location, location and location.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The Beltsville proposed range failed to raise half as much as this one would need, so I wouldn't bet on it.

I would be shocked if it didn't get built. Rather it lasts or not who knows.

The main company the potential future owners run now is profitable and well networked.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The one in Beltsville could not raise the money (8-10 million). Beltsville was a better location too.

Banks are going to avoid lending to a gun business like a hot potato, which means private equity, crowd-sourcing, or angel funds or something. A high-end club in a Texas or Florida suburb, abso-****ing-lutely. An indoor 50 (or 100!) yard range... possibly. But another 25 yd range in another anti-gun county of MD... lattes or not... just because people are pro-2A does not mean they are pro-political nightmare and and pro-flushing money down the toilet.

I do hope I am wrong and this place is great. I will have a different opinion where there are 75,000 wear and carry holders in MD.

Keep in mind, the kind of people they are hoping to attract (upscale, high income)... will be busy moving out of this state when the next Democrat wins .gov and raises taxes. Again.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I agree. Location, location and location.
    Agreed. This location is too close to the Crime Train. Remember when there was a really nice shopping mall there with high-end stores? No doubt membership/visit fees will price them out, but they’ll be outside in the parking lot waiting for the “rich guys” & the “rich guys’ guns” to assault, rob, & steal.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The one in Beltsville could not raise the money (8-10 million). Beltsville was a better location too.

Banks are going to avoid lending to a gun business like a hot potato, which means private equity, crowd-sourcing, or angel funds or something. A high-end club in a Texas or Florida suburb, abso-****ing-lutely. An indoor 50 (or 100!) yard range... possibly. But another 25 yd range in another anti-gun county of MD... lattes or not... just because people are pro-2A does not mean they are pro-political nightmare and and pro-flushing money down the toilet.

I do hope I am wrong and this place is great. I will have a different opinion where there are 75,000 wear and carry holders in MD.

Keep in mind, the kind of people they are hoping to attract (upscale, high income)... will be busy moving out of this state when the next Democrat wins .gov and raises taxes. Again.

The Beltsville location was only looking to raise 5 mil. This is a LOT more moola. Its not banks they are trying to raise the money from, its independent investors, venture capitalists

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Great Idea and Investment. The TSS Range on Avondale Pa just off of Rt1 opened last year same idea and they are packed. One of the owners told me they had 1.5 mil in the place. The way things look like they are going they should have that back in a couple of years. The store is always well stocked and prices are fair. Training classes are held on a regular basis and you can even fire a Gatling gun as they have one to shoot. Been there a couple of times nice for indoors. Chris

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom