Looking for good earmuff deals. Any advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    Found some nice passive Walker ear muffs for $20. I’ve been seeing a lot of people recommending electronic earmuffs. I’ve heard mixed reviews. I was looking at the Walker Razor Slim for $39. Is that a good deal? Can recommend your favorite pair of earmuffs and maybe some sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I realize this doesn't directly answer your questions but will give you another option to consider.

These work surprisingly well. I wouldn't necessarily recommend them indoors though, based on a couple times shooting 5.56 from under a pavilion.

https://www.safariland.com/products/comms-and-hearing-protection/hearing-protection/passive-hearing-protection/in-ear-impulse-hearing-protection-1218591.html#start=1

You can find them readily available for ~$18 on Amazon. Good to have a couple pair around even if you buy muffs as well. Electronic muffs are nice, but I haven't found cheap ones that last very long. I gave up on that a number of years ago though, maybe there are options worth buying today.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    I realize this doesn't directly answer your questions but will give you another option to consider.

These work surprisingly well. I wouldn't necessarily recommend them indoors though, based on a couple times shooting 5.56 from under a pavilion.

https://www.safariland.com/products...pulse-hearing-protection-1218591.html#start=1

You can find them readily available for ~$18 on Amazon. Good to have a couple pair around even if you buy muffs as well. Electronic muffs are nice, but I haven't found cheap ones that last very long. I gave up on that a number of years ago though, maybe there are options worth buying today.

Don’t plan on doing too much shooting outdoors. Your answer did help. Think I may just get the non-electronic headset. Get electronic later down the line.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    yeah wait until gander outdoors does that $25 off thing again and but a set. That's what I did! Awesome deal :)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Do the headphones still block sound if there’s no power going to the headset? My only fear is using them and they go dead on me.

"electronic" muffs work like normal muffs, but have microphones on the outside that play the exterior sounds through interior speakers, when noise levels go over a threshold(aka gun shot), they either cut the audio, or compress it to eliminate the gun shot from being transmitted. With dead batteries they are just normal muffs. I have those Peltor tactical 100s, have been happy with them, really natural sound, comfortable, long life from a pair of AAAs, and relatively slim and compact. They aren't loud enough to increase ambient sound above "natural" hearing like others, and the auto-off feature starts beeping after 2 hours, usually right in the middle of a stage for me, have to turn the volume knob to keep them from turning off. THere are others that are better or worse, but these are probably the best for the money.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    "electronic" muffs work like normal muffs, but have microphones on the outside that play the exterior sounds through interior speakers, when noise levels go over a threshold(aka gun shot), they either cut the audio, or compress it to eliminate the gun shot from being transmitted. With dead batteries they are just normal muffs. I have those Peltor tactical 100s, have been happy with them, really natural sound, comfortable, long life from a pair of AAAs, and relatively slim and compact. They aren't loud enough to increase ambient sound above "natural" hearing like others, and the auto-off feature starts beeping after 2 hours, usually right in the middle of a stage for me, have to turn the volume knob to keep them from turning off. THere are others that are better or worse, but these are probably the best for the money.

I keep seeing these. Walker Razors and Howard Leights. I’ve also heard some have some type of buzzing. Not sure which ones I want.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I keep seeing these. Walker Razors and Howard Leights. I’ve also heard some have some type of buzzing. Not sure which ones I want.

I have both a set of Howard Leights and multiple Walkers Razors.
    I much prefer the razors, they fit my head better and dont interfere with my cheek weld (with the howard leights i have to modify my cheek weld some). I have a fairly large cranium though. (one size fits all hats dont fit with the adjustment area connected lol)

I use them (the walker razors) all the time at work and "play" (range time, wood/metal working, etc) very comfortable for _my_ use.

Yungskeeme

Feb 6, 2019
    I have both a set of Howard Leights and multiple Walkers Razors.

I much prefer the razors, they fit my head better and dont interfere with my cheek weld (with the howard leights i have to modify my cheek weld some). I have a fairly large cranium though. (one size fits all hats dont fit with the adjustment area connected lol)

I use them (the walker razors) all the time at work and "play" (range time, wood/metal working, etc) very comfortable for _my_ use.

You’ve sold me on the razors lol. Looking for the best deal. $40 is all I’m seeing so may jump on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom