• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I'm planning on going to Loch Raven Skeet tomorrow afternoon. This will be my first time skeet shooting, but I've been handling firearms for a long time. If any of you have been there, can I just show up, rent a gun, get some instruction, and go shoot, or how does it work? I read their safety info already, the only question I'm wondering about is what constitutes eye protection, do normal glasses count or not? Thanks!

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm planning on going to Loch Raven Skeet tomorrow afternoon. This will be my first time skeet shooting, but I've been handling firearms for a long time. If any of you have been there, can I just show up, rent a gun, get some instruction, and go shoot, or how does it work? I read their safety info already, the only question I'm wondering about is what constitutes eye protection, do normal glasses count or not? Thanks!

Hooligan gives good info here... instruction is always a good call.

We have a group of irregulars (which is, I think, better than saying 'irregular group' around here!!!) who meet at LR on Thursday evenings, schedules and weather permitting.

There is an ongoing thread in this folder, and we're always open to having folks of any experience join us.

As for the glasses? Unless your regular glasses are properly rated, I would get a set of shooting glasses that fit over your regular specs.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    We ended up going out there Saturday, and they were prepared to let us shoot after reading and agreeing to the safety sheet (mostly common sense stuff). But there were a ton of people there and after waiting for about 30 minutes it was clear people were content to sit and shoot all day in their station, making the waiting period undefined. The guy in the shop said to "grab a spot when it opened up." I kind of feel like they should allot your group a certain amount of time, then have you wait in line again. Is it always that busy there, or was I just unlucky.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Some days its like that, especially when league shooters are there. We had a similar experience, had to wait for the league to get done, the non league skeet field they dedicate was broken.

I mostly shoot on private land, but we go to a club in delaware for skeet. They only have two fields, a little less fancy, but the costs per round is cheaper. Out of the 20 times I've been there, I think twice we had to shoot with other squads twice. No one hardly ever uses the skeet fields.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    We ended up going out there Saturday, and they were prepared to let us shoot after reading and agreeing to the safety sheet (mostly common sense stuff). But there were a ton of people there and after waiting for about 30 minutes it was clear people were content to sit and shoot all day in their station, making the waiting period undefined. The guy in the shop said to "grab a spot when it opened up." I kind of feel like they should allot your group a certain amount of time, then have you wait in line again. Is it always that busy there, or was I just unlucky.

Sorry you had to wait, but weekends are generally pretty busy - especially when the weather is nice. Most people I shoot with either do 2 rounds (50 targets) or 4 rounds (100) targets. I suppose that there are people who shoot more, but I've never met anyone there who was "hogging" a field. The usual squad of shooters is up to 5 people and I've always been able to join a squad if there's less than 5 people shooting. All you have to do is ask. Most people there are pretty accommodating - both in letting you join their squad and giving pointers.

I'll give you, and everyone, a hint. If you can shoot during the week, that's the quietest time. The hours are: Wednesday 12-5pm, Thursday 12-9pm, Friday 12-5pm and 10-5pm on weekends. I've slipped out of work on a Wednesday or Friday afternoon and have often pretty much had the place to myself. If no one is there to shoot with you, one of the staff will pull targets. I've even had one of the retired guys that hang out there offer to pull targets for me.

It's really a pretty friendly place.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    In case you're don't know it, a full squad is five shooters. So if a squad is preparing to go out and has room for you its SOP to simply ask to join them. It is very rare to get turned down, typically the only decent excuse is that they are coaching a new shooter.

Circle's advise is good. If you shoot during the week you stand a good chance of falling in with more experienced shooters who can give you pointers. Alternately show up right at opening time.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Is there any chance that the intro course is going to be offered in 2012?

------
    From the website:

ADULT INTRO TO SKEET AT LRSTC

Next course November 23rd at 6:00pm. *THIS CLASS IS FULL*

We will be hosting a course for adults 18 and over. The course will be on the fourth Wednesday of the month from 6pm-8pm. The course usually runs about 2 hours. The instructors will include NSSA certified instructors Tom Herndon, Mike Gallo, Ron Davis and Dave Dimock. The cost will be $30 per session and will include targets, ammunition and use of a club shotgun. Instruction will include gun safety and proper shooting technique for skeet. Exact change or checks are required. We cannot process a credit card for this program. The course is an itroduction course but will be tailored to the level of the students attending the session. Each session is separate so you can sign up for as many sessions as you would like. The deadline for each session is the third Wednesday of the month.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Is there any chance that the intro course is going to be offered in 2012?

------
    From the website:

ADULT INTRO TO SKEET AT LRSTC

Next course November 23rd at 6:00pm. *THIS CLASS IS FULL*

We will be hosting a course for adults 18 and over. The course will be on the fourth Wednesday of the month from 6pm-8pm. The course usually runs about 2 hours. The instructors will include NSSA certified instructors Tom Herndon, Mike Gallo, Ron Davis and Dave Dimock. The cost will be $30 per session and will include targets, ammunition and use of a club shotgun. Instruction will include gun safety and proper shooting technique for skeet. Exact change or checks are required. We cannot process a credit card for this program. The course is an itroduction course but will be tailored to the level of the students attending the session. Each session is separate so you can sign up for as many sessions as you would like. The deadline for each session is the third Wednesday of the month.

A closer place for lessons for you is PG Trap & Skeet, right off 495 & the BW Pkwy. http://www.pgtonline.org/

Jamie

ali

Nov 2, 2011
    The web site now says: "Next course March 28th at 6:00pm. *FIRST CLASS OF 2012*"
    I was interested - having missed the 2011 session, just signed up the course in March.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Looks like Santas elves have been working hard to update the website.

If you click on the arrow for the drop down box it looks like they have lots of dates for 2012.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Looks like Santas elves have been working hard to update the website.

If you click on the arrow for the drop down box it looks like they have lots of dates for 2012.

The elves at Loch Raven Skeet and Trap have been busy. On the website you can go to the event calendar and see the shoot schedule for 2012 (click on each event to see more information about the event). And as you've already seen, there are numerous dates for adult instruction, youth camps, and hunter safety courses. There will also be a reprise of the very successful "Shoot for the Cure" to benefit Komen Maryland in October 2012.

http://www.lochravenskeettrap.com/index.htm

We are in the process of creating an entire website upgrade that we hope to have online in early 2012. If you have any suggestions as to something you'd like to see on the site send me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom