• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    All this talk about HBARs and the Maryland Politburo had me wondering about something. Is an HBAR AR even a regulated firearm in Maryland? If so, did they become regulated in 2013?

I know someone who got an HBAR a number of years back (before 2013), and they only filled out the federal form, and no secondary Maryland form. If they are not regulated (the state doesn't know who has them), what is the big worry about no grandfather clause?

Just wondering.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    HBAR is cash-n-carry, no MD state paperwork required. Lower receivers are regulated since you could make a pistol from them.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    HBAR is cash-n-carry, no MD state paperwork required. Lowers are regulated since you could make a pistol from them.

AR15 lowers are regulated because MD thinks they are. There are plenty of other receivers that MD doesn't consider regulated even though handguns can be made from them too, like AR10 and 10/22 stripped receivers. MD even requires HQLs and rosters for some receivers like Lone Wolf Glock frames and 1911 frames.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    All this talk about HBARs and the Maryland Politburo had me wondering about something. Is an HBAR AR even a regulated firearm in Maryland? If so, did they become regulated in 2013?

I know someone who got an HBAR a number of years back (before 2013), and they only filled out the federal form, and no secondary Maryland form. If they are not regulated (the state doesn't know who has them), what is the big worry about no grandfather clause?

Just wondering.

No grandfather clause means felon overnight, confiscation and all that entails.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    No one has touched on the HBARS that were sold as "regulated" (not cash/carry/FTF) back in the day.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    No, HBARS were, and still are unregulated.

It's the non-HBARs that were banned after 10/1/2013.

Whether post 10/1/2013 HBARs are going to be illegal is TBD

So, if this bill passes and there is no grandfather clause (God forbid), and the state doesn't know the whereabouts of a bunch of HBARs purchased after 2013, how are these a$$holes going to round them up?

In short, what HBAR?
    :innocent0

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    So, if this bill passes and there is no grandfather clause (God forbid), and the state doesn't know the whereabouts of a bunch of HBARs purchased after 2013, how are these a$$holes going to round them up?

In short, what HBAR?

Yes and no. I've got ~20 guns that are going to need to be "registered" if things go as planned in this session.

It becomes an issue when I'm generally minding my own business (hunting, target shooting, etc) and I'm now in possession of an "unregistered" firearm.

Go from law abiding to prolly not even allowed to OWN a gun in a matter of one interaction with law enforcement.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    What if a person built an HBAR from an unmarked 80% lower? How does one prove (or disprove) date of manufacture?

scjamesm

Nov 10, 2016
    Charles Town, WV
    Folks, the bill will likely be desk drawered because the submitter was a nimrod. It might come back in 2020 as a different form but i give it zero chance of passing this session unless delegate Ivey wants a war.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    Yes and no. I've got ~20 guns that are going to need to be "registered" if things go as planned in this session.

It becomes an issue when I'm generally minding my own business (hunting, target shooting, etc) and I'm now in possession of an "unregistered" firearm.

Go from law abiding to prolly not even allowed to OWN a gun in a matter of one interaction with law enforcement.
    I have been unable to locate any law this session that requires registration of existing firearms. Please point me to which one you are referencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom