• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-red-flag-update-20190115-story.html

Averaging 100 a month, about 50% converted to final orders.

The 302 requests were for guns to be temporarily removed from Marylanders after an officer, family member or health professional raised concerns to the courts.

In 148 cases, Maryland district judges granted a final order — meaning police do not immediately return the seized guns, and the subjects could be prohibited from buying or possessing other firearms for up to a year.

John P. Morrissey, the chief judge of the District Court of Maryland, told the committee that family members often report a loved one who is having mental health problems resulting in the seizure of guns. After the subject receives treatment or medication, the guns are returned.

Sometimes, Morrissey said, relatives “really just want them taken to the hospital and get them medicated.”

“The people are fine once they’re on their meds, for all practical purposes,” the judge said. “But when they’re not on their meds, they’re not in control of themselves.”

Law enforcement officers requested 133 of the orders, while the rest came from other sources, such as spouses and other relatives, data show.

Other details: about half were interim orders issued by the commissioner when the courts were closed.

Another tidbit: red flag orders appear inversely related to homicide statistics. Baltimore City had a paltry 11 red flag orders. If you are mentally unstable and plan to kill someone, move to Baltimore where its totally normal, or something.

There were 47 requests in Anne Arundel, which had the shooting at the Capital Gazette newspaper office on June 28 that killed five staff members. Harford County, which had a mass shooting at a Rite Aid warehouse Sept. 20 that killed four people, had 33 requests.

Baltimore County recorded 41 red flag requests, Prince George’s County had 33, and the city of Baltimore had 11.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

That means that 50% of the time, there's a gun owner out there who has to go through the nightmare of trying to get his or her guns back from the police, and hoping they haven't been damaged, and that all of the ammunition is actually returned, etc.

Other details: about half were interim orders issued by the commissioner when the courts were closed.

It would be fascinating, for a number of reasons, to know the conversion rates for orders initially issued by judges vs the commissioners.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    That means that 50% of the time, there's a gun owner out there who has to go through the nightmare of trying to get his or her guns back from the police, and hoping they haven't been damaged, and that all of the ammunition is actually returned, etc.

It would be fascinating, for a number of reasons, to know the conversion rates for orders initially issued by judges vs the commissioners.

I'd like to see
    -how many requests become emergency orders
    -How many victims don't fight the order and why
    -Of the people who have had guns stolen from them by the state and then had the order vacated/dismissed/expired, got their guns back
    -What condition the guns were in upon being returned
    -Whether or not anyone who had ammo seized had all of it retuned
    -If any people ran into trouble when the LEOs entered their homes to steal the guns, and wound up with some sort of additional legal trouble from that.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    More than 50 of these orders get signed off by a judge every month???? That's pretty concerning. At that rate it's not a question of if you will get red flagged but a matter of when. I'm sure they are planning to up those numbers to several hundred a month. The goal is obviously not safety but to disarm as many citizens as possible.

:mad54: :mad54: :mad54:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    40% of the Red Flags are being INITIATED by the police, not family members or health professionals.

Law enforcement officers requested 133 of the orders, while the rest came from other sources, such as spouses and other relatives, data show.

And it’s clear from the number of actions taken in AA county vs. Baltimore...that Red Flags are carried out MORE OFTEN BASED ON WHICH COP AGENCIES HAVE DEVELOPED A TASTE FOR STRIPPING GUNS.

A gun owner in AA County is a bigger target for these Due Process crimes than other places. How much more Gestapo can you get?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'd like to see when I'm getting my or . . . my friend is getting his guns back! sarcasm

Are these being filed for and acted upon by the same entity and who is doing the most, our friends at MSP (Frosh boys) or local boys. I guess I live in the most liberal county now?

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    As I stated before this law will definitely unfairly target minorities that don't have the resources to fight back in court. Pretty Gestapo for sure and scary stuff. :sad20:
    At this rate we are looking at well over 500 per year. How many legal gun owners are there in Maryland? Also when they strip you of your guns do they also strip you of your HQL?

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    40% of the Red Flags are being INITIATED by the police, not family members or health professionals.

And it’s clear from the number of actions taken in AA county vs. Baltimore...that Red Flags are carried out MORE OFTEN BASED ON WHICH COP AGENCIES HAVE DEVELOPED A TASTE FOR STRIPPING GUNS.

A gun owner in AA County is a bigger target for these Due Process crimes than other places. How much more Gestapo can you get?

Man, I thought when this law was bring rolled out it's defenders and Hogan defenders tried to say that wouldn't happen.

Just don't act like a lunatic and piss off your crazy wife and you'll be fine.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Man, I thought when this law was bring rolled out it's defenders and Hogan defenders tried to say that wouldn't happen.

Just don't act like a lunatic and piss off your crazy wife and you'll be fine.

Not that simple.

That’s why we fought like hell to stop it, including standing under Fat Larry’s window with a bullhorn the night before his traitorous signing-ceremony-with-the-Moms....to try shame him into a veto.

Don’t assume that acting like you are a Buddhist will protect you from gun stripping.

We assumed we could count on elected officials with sworn oaths to uphold the Constitution and look where that got us.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

AA also holds the current record for ERPO victims killed by police while serving said order. Which will NEVER be admitted by the media EVAH...

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Hogan lived right down the road from here. Might have been two years ago now but two county boys came to me on the range and said they had a complaint of a bicyclist pinned down by gun fire on the opposite road. Could that draw a red flag?

Cops said they heard me hitting steel consistently and knew it was BS. So I’m guessing a little noise will cause removal if due process.
    So what can we do? Here I’ll answer that ..................

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hogan lived right down the road from here. Might have been two years ago now but two county boys came to me on the range and said they had a complaint of a bicyclist pinned down by gun fire on the opposite road. Could that draw a red flag?

Cops said they heard me hitting steel consistently and knew it was BS. So I’m guessing a little noise will cause removal if due process.
    So what can we do? Here I’ll answer that ..................

I seriously doubt a red flag order would be issued based upon the testimony of a couple of delusional spandex wearing cyclists.

Wonder if we have any retired people on here that wouldn't mind spending a morning in District Court in Anne Arundel County to see how these things play out. Maybe follow a couple from beginning to end.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I seriously doubt a red flag order would be issued based upon the testimony of a couple of delusional spandex wearing cyclists.

Wonder if we have any retired people on here that wouldn't mind spending a morning in District Court in Anne Arundel County to see how these things play out. Maybe follow a couple from beginning to end.

Is it that the request for a flag is in open court? Interesting, I thought this may be a back room thing like at the HPRB meetings(privacy). I’m curious about following a case but in all honesty I’d feel like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking flags. Lol.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Secret complaints filed by a secret judge for secret reasons and given to secret police to carry it out. Nothing at all suspect about that.

I’m hoping the people of AA remember these numbers when it’s time for the next fundraiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom