• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Obligatory follow-up, I finally got that new optic (did I mention they sent me a Strikefire for the price of a Crossfire?) mounted, boresighted, and mostly sighted in - it's not precision marksmanship here, but minute of bad guy is close enough for now!

We'll see if I can get it on target better with a new glasses prescription, which I'm getting today. But after a long session of making some big dope changes, here's my final 20 rounds at 100 yards with the Mock4 carbine, 12x18 target there:

IMG_4986.jpg

(Yes, the bolt is back, chamber empty, she's on safe, the lighting is just a little dark)

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Thanks for the update. Were you zeroing of a rest?

Sorta. I was seated, leaning my arm on the bench for most shots, but not clamped in or resting on sandbags or anything.

Not the right way to get real precision, I know (my boot camp PMI would have ripped my head off), but I was getting tired, I'd been shooting and tromping downrange and back for a good hour.

Next time, with new glasses, I'll put a few rounds down with sandbags and really be careful.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    We'll see if I can get it on target better with a new glasses prescription, which I'm getting today.

Congrats on the upgrade, makes me appreciate Vortex a little more.

Just curious, to my knowledge some Strikefire 2s have the option to switch the dot from red to green. Is that your model?

If so, did you notice a difference?

I ask because I have a fairly noticeable stigmatizim to the point where I won't buy another red dot, although my glasses correct the issue. I've read on the internet of things that a green dot may reduce the splash because the way some people's eyes filter red light. I was wondering if you had some first hand knowledge of it.

chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I have an astigmatism too and my strikefire looks equally good red or green vs most other red dots. with my corrective glasses. Mine has red and green however I think its a I.
    Chris

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorta. I was seated, leaning my arm on the bench for most shots, but not clamped in or resting on sandbags or anything.

Not the right way to get real precision, I know (my boot camp PMI would have ripped my head off), but I was getting tired, I'd been shooting and tromping downrange and back for a good hour.

Next time, with new glasses, I'll put a few rounds down with sandbags and really be careful.
    Looks like you got it where you needed it. Like anything else, red dots, if you're new to them, can take a little getting used to. :)

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Congrats on the upgrade, makes me appreciate Vortex a little more.

Just curious, to my knowledge some Strikefire 2s have the option to switch the dot from red to green. Is that your model?

If so, did you notice a difference?

I ask because I have a fairly noticeable stigmatizim to the point where I won't buy another red dot, although my glasses correct the issue. I've read on the internet of things that a green dot may reduce the splash because the way some people's eyes filter red light. I was wondering if you had some first hand knowledge of it.

This one is the Strikefire II, yes, but red dot only. So I don't have green to compare too, but even with pretty strong astigmatism (I have 2 full diopters just of that, on top of myopia) it's pretty clear.

I think green would be better for me, I have a green laser on one pistol and that's quite clear, but this is working just fine so far. Tomorrow or this weekend I'll get out again with the new glasses, as I said, and see if that doesn't help.

SF

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Looks like you got it where you needed it. Like anything else, red dots, if you're new to them, can take a little getting used to. :)

Thanks. Yes, it will take me a little more practice to get everything down (sight picture, focus properly, "where is that dot actually? ohhkay, got it", etc.) since this is my first RDO, but I like it so far.

May look at getting one of my pistols set up with a RDO too. Hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom