• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Finally got off my duff and decided to get serious about restoring a badly Bubba'd French M34 that I bought on not much more than a whim about 5 yrs ago. The issue was how to replace the stock. The obvious choice was a replica stock from Fox Military in the Czech Republic. For around $350 I'd have a new stock and hand guard. Was all ready to pull the trigger when I stumbled across the only original spare stock for sale up on Evil Pay for $250 plus shipping from France. It was rough looking but the collector in me felt this was the right way to go.
    -Fast forward to 45 days later (yes, French mail is stupid slow and the pandemic didn't help matters) it shows up "intact". Well my optimism circled the drain as the reality of the condition hit me. The left side of the butt was borderline dry rotted and there was a chunk missing from the toe. But I spent the money and was determined to give it a go. The first week was spend giving it thick applications of raw linseed oil. This thing was so dry it sucked up that oil like a sponge. Never seen anything like it. No mineral spirits necessary to thin it.
    -Eventually got to the point where I could move forward. Hated to put sandpaper to it but there was no choice. Did as little sanding as possible in the end. Fit two spare Berthier M16 rifle bands, retaining springs and HG retaining ring. All fit perfectly.
    =I'll live with it for a while and if it bugs me enough I can always go to Fox and order a new stock as I'm not even close to 50% of what it's worth in today's market.

Attachments

• IMGP9188.JPG
      IMGP9188.JPG
      24.2 KB · Views: 261
    • IMGP9182.JPG
      IMGP9182.JPG
      59.7 KB · Views: 215
    • IMGP9183.JPG
      IMGP9183.JPG
      31.1 KB · Views: 231
    • IMGP9185.JPG
      IMGP9185.JPG
      40.5 KB · Views: 219
    • IMGP9184.JPG
      IMGP9184.JPG
      45.5 KB · Views: 228
    • IMGP9187.JPG
      IMGP9187.JPG
      26.7 KB · Views: 220
    • IMGP9109.JPG
      IMGP9109.JPG
      24.9 KB · Views: 236

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks a lot better than it did! Too bad bubba always has to ruin the rare ones.

Mine is duffle cut under the rear band. I thought about having somebody repair it, but I’ll probably leave it as is.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've managed to scrounge 4 of these over the years. The first was like this one, totally mangled and I ended up taking a donor M16 rifle stock and machining it to M34 dimensions. The second was like yours, duffel bag cut under the lower band. The third is the only one that was intact and complete. This latest one I got at a Chambersburg PA auction. Wasn't going to bid on it but couldn't let it go to an uncertain fate. As I remember it that auction was like they were selling off the Island of Misfit Toys. So many barrelled actions, tables and tables filled with boxes of parts. I originally went to bid on two boxes of Ross parts (no joy on either in the end).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom