• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoltan

Sep 8, 2015
    I'd really like to add an M1 Garand with some history on it to my collection, and the CMP currently has service grade ones available for $750.

That seems like a good price too me, and I know the ones coming from the CMP have been around and seen some stuff.

Is there a reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on one (pun intended)? Is there a better place/way to aquire one?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    There is no reason to not pull the trigger on a RM1-Service Grade rifle from the CMP.

I got mine from them a few months back and wound up with a 1943 Sprinfield receiver in the original stock with non-matching bolt and op rod. Best $750 I ever spent.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I pretty figured at worst, I wouldn't lose money buying from the CMP.

You will not. My 2 cents are, unless you are buying one of a particular provenance that YOU really want, there is no better place to buy one than the CMP. Basically you are paying between $200-400 less than what anyone else will charge you for the same condition rifle. It will be in working order for sure (or if not, they’ll fix it within a year). You can be confident their admirers have gone over it to make sure it is fine and safe.

Lastly you get an awesome hard case included in the price.

Probably half the Garands you see at any given gun show the dealer bought them from the CMP sometime in the last few months to year or two and is reselling them at a 25-50% markup (despite CMP asking people not to do that. Honestly why I wish like hell CMP would limit people to no more than 2 per year. Not the 6 per year they do).

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Out of curiosity does anyone know of the Maryland HQL count towards CMPs “marksmanship or other firearms related activity”?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Out of curiosity does anyone know of the Maryland HQL count towards CMPs “marksmanship or other firearms related activity”?

I doubt it, that said, if you get your MD Collector's letter, that would probably cover it. Call them to make sure.

03FFL is the easiest way to go. $30 for 03FFL, $25 for GCA membership, and you're GTG in terms of quals.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    I doubt it, that said, if you get your MD Collector's letter, that would probably cover it. Call them to make sure.

03FFL is the easiest way to go. $30 for 03FFL, $25 for GCA membership, and you're GTG in terms of quals.

I may try it as it has a shoot/training requirement. I’d rather not spend more money and really have no urge to have a O3FFL.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I'd really like to add an M1 Garand with some history on it to my collection, and the CMP currently has service grade ones available for $750.

That seems like a good price too me, and I know the ones coming from the CMP have been around and seen some stuff.

Is there a reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on one (pun intended)? Is there a better place/way to aquire one?

In short, I would buy from CMP because they stand behind their rifles (within reason) and it's the best price you're likely to find. Some people refer to it as buying a pig in poke.

I've purchased 2 from CMP and had to send both back for issues. The first one had a bad trigger group and would periodically fire multiple rounds. They paid the freight both ways and simply had me send back the trigger group and sent me a replacement. (Worked properly since) The second one sat around for more than a year until I started using it for Hi-Power matches. The rear sight was a mess and must have had some stripped part(s), as I was inconsistent shooting and finally noticed the rear sight wasn't adjusting properly. That one cost me $50 shipping it back, as per CMP it was beyond a year since purchase. That was the best $50 buck I ever spent on a Garand, as they replaced the rear sight and perhaps since I mentioned using it for Hi-Power? swapped a few more parts that worked fine before I shipped it back. I had it back in like 2-3 days with the shipping they paid for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom