• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Didn't expect to get this one when I placed my absentee bids at auction last week. I was planning to make the long drive up to Scranton PA but a nasty cold put that idea to bed (along with me!). So when I placed my bids I decided to throw in a semi serious bid for this pristine post war L-35. Figured it would go for much more as I've watched these sell at auction for between $1500-$2300 in the last 3-4 years with the military issued examples fetching the high end and post war commercial the low.
    Imagine my surprise when I was told that the L-35 was mine for my max proxy bid of $1350. With the 12% premium that came to $1512. And the L-35 came with a beautiful holster, two spare mags, tool, and cleaning rod. Score!
    If you told me this pistol was unfired I would believe you. I'm not seeing any marks on the barrel ramp or bolt face indicating use. No import marks to be found, which is so nice.
    SN places it near the end of production (approx 9300 built in total, production ending in the early 50s). Valmet had parts left over from their military contract and they ended up building about 2,000 for the commercial market. It is known as a Type 4 which has no shoulder stock lug and most of which had no loaded chamber indicator.
    She's heavy and a handful. I own a Swedish M/40 Lahti and it's been a bear to get it working correctly. This L-35 won't be shot. It's going deep into the safe. If I want to shoot the M/40 will get hauled out!

Attachments

• IMGP7569.JPG
      IMGP7569.JPG
      60.7 KB · Views: 695
    • IMGP7571.JPG
      IMGP7571.JPG
      48.7 KB · Views: 658
    • IMGP7570.JPG
      IMGP7570.JPG
      59.1 KB · Views: 651
    • IMGP7572.JPG
      IMGP7572.JPG
      53.2 KB · Views: 631
    • IMGP7573.JPG
      IMGP7573.JPG
      98.1 KB · Views: 685
    • IMGP7574.JPG
      IMGP7574.JPG
      50.7 KB · Views: 637
    • IMGP7576.JPG
      IMGP7576.JPG
      92.8 KB · Views: 665
    Jul 1, 2012
    Jeebus, that's gorgeous. And a complete minty rig to boot.
    For those that haven't held one (or an M/40) these things are a monstrous hunk of metal, like a Luger on steroids.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Awesome pick up, mawkie! With the late series four, I'm guessing you don't have the loaded chamber indicator. I can see it doesn't have the stock lug which is another late series four production cue.

I SOOO want one of these, but want to hold out for a series two or three. As I only have the money for one in the collection, I want to make sure it's a wartime example.

Congrats on another great pistol!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Lord knows how much I would be to shell out for a wartime example! Probably near twice what I paid for this post war example. Indeed, no loaded chamber indicator. One of the last built.

Awesome pick up, mawkie! With the late series four, I'm guessing you don't have the loaded chamber indicator. I can see it doesn't have the stock lug which is another late series four production cue.

I SOOO want one of these, but want to hold out for a series two or three. As I only have the money for one in the collection, I want to make sure it's a wartime example.

Congrats on another great pistol!

olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    I always enjoy your posts about your finds. Thanks for educating those of us who are spectators in the C&R game. And thanks for taking time to include a bit of history about your finds. Very fascinating. Thank you.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Necro thread update. Since snagging this Valmet I was actively searching for the holster manufacturer. Finally hit pay dirt up on Simpson's site in the form of a Luger muzzle cover with the same M/W logo. Manuf. was Maurice Widforss out of Sweden who made quality holsters for the commercial market along with many other accessories. They printed a catalog so the next step is to try and find one. Me thinks I'll do best searching European sites for one.

Attachments

• MW muzzle cover.jpg
      MW muzzle cover.jpg
      51.6 KB · Views: 160

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I saw this pop up and thought, “he got ANOTHER one?!” Now I really hate him :D

I’ll keep an eye out for that manufacturer as well, my friend!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I saw this pop up and thought, “he got ANOTHER one?!” Now I really hate him :D

I’ll keep an eye out for that manufacturer as well, my friend!

Every time I peruse the European auction sites and run across wartime L-35s I think of you. They're much more common across the pond but sadly not much cheaper. To make purchasing out of Europe work you have to find a way to absorb roughly $800 in shipping and import costs. And in the end you have a firearm with an import mark, no way around it. But I enjoy seeing stuff listed that's crazy rare here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom