• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Pheasants were everywhere up in PA where I grew up. Never did see them down here.

Not sure when you came to MD...there were plenty of pheasants in Frederick County in the 70s and 80s. Urbana was mostly farmland back then. I used to hunt them without a dig and have pretty good luck.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    LOL I was looking to get an O/U but looked and saw the limit is 2 pheasants!!!!!!

My guess is that they're hoping the remainders are able to stick it out in the wild long enough to start repopulating.

All said and done, 2 birds ain't bad as they have a fair amount of meat on them. I will confit them sometimes and put up a couple pints of pheasant rillettes most years or cure and smoke them for pheasant ravioli. Buddy of mine just goes straight pheasant noodle soup or pheasant and dumplings.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Received email package with maps and permit right after drawing announcement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some friends and I did a stocked pheasant hunt at an outfitter in Pylesville two weeks ago. It was our second hunt there. ITs not like hinting Iowa or the Dakotas but it was a blast for Maryland. I love that they provide the dogs. The end result is more pheasant meat for our favorite upland bird recipe, Pheasant Tortilla Soup.

They were more plentiful here in the US when farmers left brush at the borders of their fields, but modern practices have them planting and harvesting all the way to the edge.
    Farmers also left fields fallow for a year, letting whatever grow, or planting a cover crop, proving habitat for the birds. Now it's pretty much no-till and crops each year. The farmer that leases my field does corn-corn-soybeans, repeat.

Plenty of mourning doves. I just can't hit them worth a damn. Quick little buggers.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Some friends and I did a stocked pheasant hunt at an outfitter in Pylesville two weeks ago. It was our second hunt there. ITs not like hinting Iowa or the Dakotas but it was a blast for Maryland. I love that they provide the dogs. The end result is more pheasant meat for our favorite upland bird recipe, Pheasant Tortilla Soup.

Mason Dixon Outfitters? Was Kim your guide? If so, I guarantee it was a hoot! She always brings a six-pack to hunt with (six dogs of varying breed) and it's awesome to see them work. I like that they don't do strip-hunts like most of the PA farms do, much more breaking trail like you'd do out west.

I'm going up to my usual PA outfitter in just over a month. I've got 3-4 friends going with me which is the biggest hunt I've ever done (usually it's just me, or me and a friend or two max). Looking forward to having them put a ton of birds out for us thanks to the number of folks in the group.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    IF you're having to walk it with no dogs, find the lousiest shots that DO have dogs with them, stay on their flanks, and bat cleanup.

I can't tell you how many bonus birds I've gotten from lousy shots at "canned" hunts in PA.

Just got my American Hunter magazine in the mail today and on the cover is a Pheasant and the article is "It's never to late for a Pheasant Hunt"

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    How is the actual hunt working? Is the DNR spinning them up and stocking them and you guys are kicking them up without dogs?

It is a do it yourself hunt, some hunters had dogs most didn't. I know of 1 hunter that limited out I saw 1 pheasant and didn't get a shot off. Basically you just walk the fields and hope a pheasant flies up.

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    We had pheasant for thanksgiving dinner up til about 1988. Thanksgiving morning was our pheasant hunt every year. Between the three of us we would take 3 or 4 in Carroll county. I've only heard one in recent years about 4 years ago I guess.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It is a do it yourself hunt, some hunters had dogs most didn't. I know of 1 hunter that limited out I saw 1 pheasant and didn't get a shot off. Basically you just walk the fields and hope a pheasant flies up.

Gotcha. That's what I thought it would be. Only thing to do in that case is try to get others to form up a line and "walk with purpose" trying to kick them up.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Not an MD hunt, but I'm heading up to PA on Friday morning to get a half-day hunt in a Pheasant Valley Farm.

I've been there a bunch of times and have always enjoyed it. Mark, the owner, isn't super talkative and can seem gruff at times, but that's mainly because he spends too much time dealing with upper-crust guys who think they don't have to follow the rules just because they're rich and paying for the hunt. The guides themselves are all a blast to hunt with, and watching the dogs work is always a treat. Taking 3 buddies with me with 22 birds in the field for us (16 pheasant and 6 chukar) so there'll be plenty to shoot at and friends to enjoy it with. I'll make sure to post up the results when we're done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom