• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    Does the ban on concealed carry of fixed blades ("bowie knives") extend through personal private property (e.g., own personal residence, own back yard)?

Am I required to open carry my fixed blade buck knife while grilling in my back yard? I have to ask...it is Maryland.

{{Md. Code, CR § 4-101(C). Because they are classified as dangerous weapons by statute, only switchblades, dirks, bowie knives, razors, and star knives are illegal to carry concealed in Maryland.}}

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    If you are on your own property, you can carry whatever you want...concealed or open...so long as it is legal to own.

IANAL.

That said, unlike the handgun law, there is no provision in the dangerous weapon law for private property. The only provision is
    " an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case. "

IMHO: not being able to cut something that needs cutting is a "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger".

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    The statute doesn't distinguish between public and one's private property for non-firearm weapons. There have been several cases, discussed at length in Chilcoat v State, of people convicted under this statute of carrying openly with intent to injure, though most are contentious and the case specifically illustrates that mere carry during an assault does not also mean a violation of this statute. There was one case that I cannot remember enough detail to find, but involved a concealed knife on a person who was at his residence. But here is the important part: He was a convicted felon on parole and the police were there to speak with him because he'd violated it, and he was acting weird and tried to run away from them.

Which comes to my point: Why would the cops be there on your private property in the first place? It's good to know the law, but it's also important to understand circumstances where it would even come up. Police are not going to magically materialize next to you the moment you have a knife concealed, and concealed knives are almost always an excuse charge after the violation of another law, such as unwitnessed domestic violence. Furthermore, I know of at least one case where a person had concealed fixed blades while stopped for running a stop sign, and the court threw out the charge because he hadn't broken any other laws and they felt the charge was too petty and not worth the court's time.

Mitral

Sep 6, 2015
    Calvert
    Bet the Karma on that Blade would be Bad
    Even if ya passed the fingerprint blood dna and psych eval. For non kitchen knife ownership.over 2”
    I’m sure a fed knife tax would also be involved.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Does the ban on concealed carry of fixed blades ("bowie knives") extend through personal private property (e.g., own personal residence, own back yard)?

Am I required to open carry my fixed blade buck knife while grilling in my back yard? I have to ask...it is Maryland.

{{Md. Code, CR § 4-101(C). Because they are classified as dangerous weapons by statute, only switchblades, dirks, bowie knives, razors, and star knives are illegal to carry concealed in Maryland.}}

The only thing you can’t carry in your backyard is a bat'leth- only Klingon warriors are permitted to do that and they still have to renew their permit annually in Marylandistan.

I really wouldnt worry about it. Weapon carry restrictions generally do not apply to your own property. I cannot see a police officer charging you for carrying a knife on your own property, even in montgomery county.

Concealed is Concealed. No one will know anyway, better off carrying it concealed in MoCo

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    The folding knife I carry everyday is longer than the KABAR I carried in the Marines. I don't wear a fixed blade knife while being in my yard but wouldn't have an issue with it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom