• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    It's not censorship, it's discrimination. Gun videos can still be posted to YouTube and watched on YouTube. YouTube is discriminating against the owners of gun channels by not allowing them to participate in the ad revenue generation programs.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Google has hijacked youtube and seemingly implemented an agenda of censorship and thought control.

Not exactly.
    As I understand it (admittedly, my info comes from youtube, so have that grain of salt at hand....), it's some of youtube's large advertisers who're causing the stink. They're all Bolsheviks and, like all two year-olds, must have their way or no one can play.So, right or wrong, youtube, being in the business to sell adverts, is simply trying to give their [paying] customers what they want.:)
    I 'spect that, in the end, as these things usually pan out, everything'll work out.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    It's not censorship, it's discrimination. Gun videos can still be posted to YouTube and watched on YouTube. YouTube is discriminating against the owners of gun channels by not allowing them to participate in the ad revenue generation programs.

That would probably fly if gun owners were a protected class. We are not. You aren't born a gun owner, and it's not a protected lifestyle choice like religion.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Quick update : It looks like YouTube really is targeting Gun channels. They just unblocked all the LGBTQ channels. Gun channels, not so much.

From YouTube

"We want to clarify that Restricted Mode should not filter out content belonging to individuals or groups based on certain attributes like gender, gender identity, political viewpoints, race, religion or sexual orientation,"

Link

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    having content be demonitized is different than banning something.

for all of these "professional" youtubers, if you were relying on youtube to be your source of income, poor career choice. anyone with a million followers (hell even 50k followers) could make plenty of money outside of youtube. build a social media following with your videos, launch a website, pay a ghostwiter to write a book for you, and sell merch, and the 2 bucks/1000 views that google pays you will be a drop in teh bucket compared to the money you can make.

i only fault google for not trying to find different advertisers for their restricted videos (you don't think budwieser, trojan, jack daniels, etc would have a problem advertising to "mature" audiences?).

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    having content be demonitized is different than banning something.

for all of these "professional" youtubers, if you were relying on youtube to be your source of income, poor career choice. anyone with a million followers (hell even 50k followers) could make plenty of money outside of youtube. build a social media following with your videos, launch a website, pay a ghostwiter to write a book for you, and sell merch, and the 2 bucks/1000 views that google pays you will be a drop in teh bucket compared to the money you can make.

i only fault google for not trying to find different advertisers for their restricted videos (you don't think budwieser, trojan, jack daniels, etc would have a problem advertising to "mature" audiences?).

Most of these people never set out to be "professional" YouTubers. In most cases, they already had non monetized channels that became popular. YouTube then solicited their channels and offered advertising revenue in order to boost content and ad revenue.

I do agree that YouTube should have tried to find advertisers, that's literally their job. Seems like a conscious decision to me.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Most of these people never set out to be "professional" YouTubers. In most cases, they already had non monetized channels that became popular. YouTube then solicited their channels and offered advertising revenue in order to boost content and ad revenue.

Yep. I have a channel that's collected about 700k views. Twice Gootube has solicited me to "monetize" it. (I've declined.)

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    all of these videos still get to live on youtube as non monitized videos. the videos aren't in some special place to never be found. if you search for it its there. the people making a big issue of this are those who in fact make their living off of youtube, and failed to use their youtube following and turn it into a business. in the long run youtube will lose revenue. however after the wall street jornal hit piece on pew die pie the advertisers actually paid attention to youtube and demanded (the big names, coke, P&G etc) that they coudl chose not to advertize with certain youtubers, and google said their algorithm couldn't do that. so the advertisers threatened to pull all ads. youtube decided they would hyper police the content, and have restricted videos. and then restricted videos could not have advertising. firearms content is an unintended victim of this pissing match between google, who could have easily changed their advertising algorithm to allow coke to say i don't want my ads on pewdiepie's page.

their sandbox, their rules. there are already video sites popping up trying to fill some of this void. some youtubers are proper mad, cuz if you drop an F bomb or reference anything sexual, or reference drinking or drug use your video is restricted, and impacts your channel, as all of that videos views no longer count towards your total (restricted videos are in a different category), so your share of revenue ($/thousand views) will be reduced, as total views impacts the amount of share you get for ad revenue. so the people who are big time youtubers that stay will be catering their videos towards the new advertising standards, and will water down the product the same way that TV shows or movies are watered down to cater to advertisers.

whenever you get ad revenue to finance any project, they get a say, the same way whoever finances anything gets a say. their money, their rules.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    all of these videos still get to live on youtube as non monitized videos. the videos aren't in some special place to never be found. if you search for it its there. the people making a big issue of this are those who in fact make their living off of youtube, and failed to use their youtube following and turn it into a business. in the long run youtube will lose revenue. however after the wall street jornal hit piece on pew die pie the advertisers actually paid attention to youtube and demanded (the big names, coke, P&G etc) that they coudl chose not to advertize with certain youtubers, and google said their algorithm couldn't do that. so the advertisers threatened to pull all ads. youtube decided they would hyper police the content, and have restricted videos. and then restricted videos could not have advertising. firearms content is an unintended victim of this pissing match between google, who could have easily changed their advertising algorithm to allow coke to say i don't want my ads on pewdiepie's page.

their sandbox, their rules. there are already video sites popping up trying to fill some of this void. some youtubers are proper mad, cuz if you drop an F bomb or reference anything sexual, or reference drinking or drug use your video is restricted, and impacts your channel, as all of that videos views no longer count towards your total (restricted videos are in a different category), so your share of revenue ($/thousand views) will be reduced, as total views impacts the amount of share you get for ad revenue. so the people who are big time youtubers that stay will be catering their videos towards the new advertising standards, and will water down the product the same way that TV shows or movies are watered down to cater to advertisers.

whenever you get ad revenue to finance any project, they get a say, the same way whoever finances anything gets a say. their money, their rules.

Agreed. If you're making a business, one single stream of income is a tiny business. Gotta diversify. And to the channels that do fall under the restricted list, they'll just have to get more creative instead of water things down.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The really big time people have other money making options. The biggest pinch will be quasi-amateur just looking to defray expenses on projects too involved to pull out of their pocket for a hobby

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Does this mean no more Nut'n Fancy running thru the desert like a nitwit, dressed in full battle garb including plate carrier, shooting left and right then left again? All to review a new M&P pistol? Sorry, but I can't stand that fool. He actually gives pretty decent firearms reviews, but the theatrics make him look like an a-hole. He deserves a Jethro Gibbs / Dinozzo back of the head slap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom