• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Last week I took a few firearms out to crono some competition loads. The AR I built with a complete CMMG lower and a 16" complete upper was used. I have the heavy 9mm buffer, standard carbine spring, and a 9mm Colt style BCG. The barrel is a 16" SPR profile barrel, with an A2 style bird cage flash suppressor. I got a cheap holosight ($80) and tried it out after I swapped out the 5.56 receiver for a 9mm receiver. $1.50 in quarters keeps the spring forward and prevents the bolt from going back too far and breaking the bolt catch.

I loaded up two 32-round Colt style mags, one with 147gr lead bullets in front of 2.4gr of Titegroup. I was averaging 880 fps with this combo, so it makes Minor for USPSA PCC. With a 147gr coated bullet in front of 3.2gr of Titegroup, I was averaging 990 fps. It's pushing Major. The nice thing about the lighter load is, I use less powder, and recoil is like shooting a Ruger 10/22, with less noise. I get no dot bounce in the holograph sight. Once I take out the milspec trigger and get something better, I should be running with the big dogs then. Not bad for a rifle I'll have less than $1000 in after the new trigger and with the current optic.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I LOVE shooting my 9mm AR pistol! I admit I have a good bit more invested in my gun, but it is the reason I spent most of the day prepping almost 2K cases to add to the 1K rounds I have loaded in the last couple weeks. I am loading 147s with 3.4 TG and am getting 2''-3'' groups @ 50 yds with a Vortex SPARC on top of a 5'' bbl.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Have you tried one that is SBR'd? I am amazed at how accurate my 10.5 inch Colt Commando is with open sights.

Oh and where are the pics?

Attachments

• 20170308_181111.jpg
      20170308_181111.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 859

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have you tried one that is SBR'd? I am amazed at how accurate my 10.5 inch Colt Commando is with open sights.

Oh and where are the pics?

Mine is a, ahem, pistol with a 5'' barrel, suppressed. So, kinda...:D

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    i do like the look you've gone for there...

Attachments

• stamp_2016_002.jpg
      stamp_2016_002.jpg
      173.5 KB · Views: 827

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Does anybody shoot the PSA 9mm Glock complete lower (forged or billet) matched with the PSA hybrid 16" upper without making any changes? How does it perform?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    looks nice! yeah i shot my PCC at Quantico USPSA this weekend and it was a lotta fun, shootin' on the move and all!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    BTW, I loaded a hand full of Xtreme 147gr HPs today and took them to the range. They shot very well and cycled perfectly. Of course it was only a dozen or so rounds but...

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I am quickly becoming a fan of the 9mm rifle.

I have a 1995 Colt 6450 that was my brother's (LEO) when he purchased it for patrol use back then, and he sold it to me several years ago as it was a safe queen after he retired--he said that he rarely ran anything through it except after it was first purchased. It sat in my own safe after I ran a box of ammo through it to zero it at 50 yards, and after pulling it out again a few weeks back, I've run about 200 rounds 115g American Eagle cheap shit through it.

It's nice and light, and I'm considering everything from just using it as a nice light weight HD rifle (nearest neighbor 150 yards away), or for future competitions in PCC or practical rifle. Having trained with iron sights, it's just really familiar in my hands, although I just stuck an original strikefire RD on the handle and cowitnessed it last week. I've never done that before and enjoyed moving between the two sight lines on the same target. I'm looking for a 6951 to try out, and now that Windham Weaponry offers one, considering that too since I have two of their rifles in 5.56. Solid platform.

Most of my life has been focused on 5.56, not 9mm loads. What are the practical applications in a rifle (16" barrel) for HD? Shooting paper out to 50/100 yards? Thanks in advance.

I suppose it would make a nice suppressor platform as described above, although it's not clear to me how much of a difference it would make at the range or in the 1:1000000 chance it's discharged in defense inside the home...

Attachments

• IMAG0313.jpg
      IMAG0313.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 514

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Subsonic rounds out of a 16" barrel make as little noise as a .22 LR. When I shot a Steel Challenge match last month, I was giving the guy with the .22 AR a run for his money as to who was quieter. I don't think the timer could hear the shots if I suppressed it :D If I lived in a house, I'd use a 9mm AR for HD.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The first thing I was surprised about was the recoil; enough to knock you off target, unlike a competition 5.56 setup. I thought mine had feeding issues, but it turned out to be the magazines. It's not uncommon to buy 6 mags and return 1 or 2 because they have feeding issues. I just put a hyperfire trigger in mine; I think I liked the SSA-E better, we'll see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom