• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    S 618 by Senator Orrin Hatch of UT.

Big change is it will allow stops for food, restrooom and overnight lodging.

Also provides legal protection from wrongful arrest and prosecutions and recovery of damages.

Loaded magazines are also ok, as long as locked up.

Will post House Version when introduced.

Attachments

• BILLS-115s618is.pdf
      242.8 KB · Views: 257

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    285.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Perhaps an amendment to 4-203 for stopping at Royal Farms for fried chicken, moon pies, and purchaser's choice of a classic American soda is in order.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Intresting. My reading of this is that if I was traveling by bus or train (interstate of course) I could carry it unloaded, in a holster, provided that the trigger was locked. I'm not suggesting this would be a good idea, but it seems to fit within the definition.

On the other hand, this doesn't go far enough:

"includes staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, fuel, vehicle maintenance, an emergency, medical treatment, or any other activity incidental to the transport; and"

These of course should be included, but it's ridiculous that if I was driving from Virginia to New Hampshire, that I couldn't stop at the Christiana Mall in Delaware and buy something that's not food or fuel because I want to take advantage of no sales tax. As long as the gun remains locked in the truck, it shouldn't matter what you do along the way or for how long.

Also, what does this mean?

7 ‘‘(B) with knowledge, or reasonable cause
    8 to believe, that such a crime is to be committed
    9 in the course of, or arising from, the transpor-
    10 tation.

Since the possession of say, high capacity magazines, would constitute a crime and such crime would be "in the course of" or "arising" from such transportation in several states, that would appear to negate the first half. This needs to be clarified, or removed.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Where does FOPA not allow loaded mags?

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/html/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec926A.htm

§926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    (Added Pub. L. 99–360, §1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

Fopa doesn't prohibit it, but it currently doesn't give protection in states that do.

This version seems to protect you, BUT, by not distinguishing between loaded and unloaded mags it also seems to say no unloaded mags can be inserted into a firearm and even unloaded mags need to be in the trunk or locked up. In most states, that's not a problem anyway, but the whole point of this law are the DC's, NJ's, etc. of the country...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Fopa doesn't prohibit it, but it currently doesn't give protection in states that do.

This version seems to protect you, BUT, by not distinguishing between loaded and unloaded mags it also seems to say no unloaded mags can be inserted into a firearm and even unloaded mags need to be in the trunk or locked up. In most states, that's not a problem anyway, but the whole point of this law are the DC's, NJ's, etc. of the country...

I literally never go to DC, NJ, or NY, so I wouldn't know.

The no unloaded mag part could be annoying with stuff that have mags not meant to be removed, like a Lee Enfield or K31. It probably would not occur to the owner of one to take it out. I even leave the 20rd mag in my National Match AR since I almost never shoot from the mag and it's simply there to lock the bolt open for single loading.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    It also fixes the ambiguity of the phrase "...from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry to any other place..."

Some interpret that as not allowing those without a md carry permit to use fopa to get out of MD for a reason not on our approved list of activities. For example leaving for VA to concealed carry.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I wonder if the GOP is considering using these to bait the Democrats. If the Democrats filibuster or otherwise throw a tantrum, they can then ram through the reciprocity bill (whether by nuclear option or attaching it to something else) after they realize the Democrats won't support anything that isn't onerous toward guns.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It also fixes the ambiguity of the phrase "...from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry to any other place..."

Some interpret that as not allowing those without a md carry permit to use fopa to get out of MD for a reason not on our approved list of activities. For example leaving for VA to concealed carry.
    In MD you may possess and carry on your own property. I don't see a problem. I think Esqappellate has said the same thing but it wasn't legal advice

The AG opinion on FOPA carry states that FOPA "has no bearing on trips whose origin and destination ar4e both in MD."

I take that to mean FOPA would apply if the origin OR destination ARE NOT in MD.

Attachments

• AG ruling FOPA.pdf
      30.2 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom