• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I checked The Armory, and they have an Entry Tactical in stock, but it has the Chrome-Moly barrel. Is this a bad thing? I'm not sure where else to check that might have one in stock with a Chrome Lined barrel. I don't really want to wait the 6 weeks that it takes to order one if at all possible. I might be able to make the April 15 event and I'd sure like to have the rifle by then. Any suggestions?

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I checked The Armory, and they have an Entry Tactical in stock, but it has the Chrome-Moly barrel. Is this a bad thing? I'm not sure where else to check that might have one in stock with a Chrome Lined barrel. I don't really want to wait the 6 weeks that it takes to order one if at all possible. I might be able to make the April 15 event and I'd sure like to have the rifle by then. Any suggestions?

Chrome lined barrel is a good thing.

Hal/Armory just put it on sale....sale for him is $1100 which is 100 over MSRP....you buy it mail order and you'll end up paying about that with shipping,ffl etc.

Better to just buy it locally and save the hassles

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Hal/Armory just put it on sale....sale for him is $1100 which is 100 over MSRP....
    Which is why I do not feel the need to support my local gun shop. If Wal-Mart carried this gun I would buy it there. Pricing above MSRP gives me a rash. :mad54:

Can someone explain to me why dealers in MD charge so much, and in many cases above MSRP? Are they taking advantage of our bad situation in this state, or do MD dealers pay significantly more than dealers in VA?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I did find that Atlantic Firearms in Bishopville has an Entry Tactical for $899. That is a lot less than $1100, but that is a 4 hour drive one way for me. :sad20:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Can someone explain to me why dealers in MD charge so much, and in many cases above MSRP? Are they taking advantage of our bad situation in this state, or do MD dealers pay significantly more than dealers in VA?

I'm not sure about rifles, but I think higher handgun prices are due to all of the hoops that have to be jumed through to be allowed for sale in Maryland; empty shell casing included, must be accepted by the handgun roster, and until last year the whole integral lock mess. All of this b.s. means increased overhead for manufacturers and less supply to be sold.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I did find that Atlantic Firearms in Bishopville has an Entry Tactical for $899. That is a lot less than $1100, but that is a 4 hour drive one way for me. :sad20:

No good anyway. You can't pick it up in person, unless their policies have changed. For that price though, you could still afford to have it shipped and pay the transfer.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    No good anyway. You can't pick it up in person, unless their policies have changed. For that price though, you could still afford to have it shipped and pay the transfer.

I want to know why I am getting price raped at gun dealers which are a reasonable distance from me. They have every right to charge what they please, but I'd like to know if it is more a case of them taking advantage of our situation in this state.

If you can't tell, I'm getting really pissed the more I think about this. Maybe I am overreacting and the dealers are playing fair, but I've asked about this numerous times and have never gotten an answer. This leads me to believe that calling it "price rape" isn't overreacting. Someone in the know care to set me straight so that I can feel good about spending $100 over MSRP for a rifle?

Last edited:

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I am not sure about the current price of AR's (When I did by mine I believe it was at MSRP) but when I bought my last DSA FAL The Gun Rack in burtonsville had very fair prices. Generally at or below MSRP for both the full size and carbine. I believe the carbine was $1800 which the way they had it set up was about what DSA website said it would be.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I think that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. By that I mean that prices in MD are higher than neighboring states because of the cost of business being higher and the number of FFLs being lower.

However, this doesn't explain why some dealers are 20-30% higher than other dealers within the state. There's at least one dealer who told me to my face that he knows his prices are high but he charges them because people pay them. This is what I all the :tongue01: price.

I don't mind paying the prevailing "MD price" since the basics of the free market economy would dictate that the "average" price would be self levelling because if they >could< offer it cheaper, then all it would take would be for one dealer to undercut the rest and drive the prices down. I don't see anyone undercutting the "MD price" to any great extent.....and I've probably been in every gun store between Baltimore an DC a couple of times since January.

They all have the right to charge what they want, but I also have the right to buy only from those shops that aren't proudly saying :tongue01: to me as I want to honestly support the local guys.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I have always felt that MSRP was an inflated retail price on something and the true and final cost to customers was always lower. Like on cars and trucks. No one pays sticker.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I am not sure about the current price of AR's (When I did by mine I believe it was at MSRP) but when I bought my last DSA FAL The Gun Rack in burtonsville had very fair prices. Generally at or below MSRP for both the full size and carbine. I believe the carbine was $1800 which the way they had it set up was about what DSA website said it would be.

Those guys move a lot of those guns for DSA. In fact, that might be the only shop that I reliably see stocking those rifles.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I have always felt that MSRP was an inflated retail price on something and the true and final cost to customers was always lower. Like on cars and trucks. No one pays sticker.
    That is what I thought as well. Heck, I'd even be OK paying MSRP for a gun, but once you cross the MSRP line headed north, something is seriously wrong. Maybe you native Marylanders are used to it, but I lived in AZ most of my life and gun prices weren't anywhere near MSRP, even in the high rent districts.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    You have to keep in mind that there has been a run on AR-15's and other "assault"-style rifles ever since the elections. This has only accelerated since the assorted assault rifle ban bills were introduced.

I called around everywhere and 1100-1200 was pretty much the going price for the RRA Entry Tactical and 1200-1250 was the going price for the Bushmaster.

If you wait a while the prices may drop, buy who knows. If you wait too long they may have trouble getting them in stock. From what I understand there is a 3 month or more waiting time on Bush's right now.

My advice, pay the 1100 at The Armory and just get it done. Try not to overthink it. Sounds like you've made your choice, now go out and get it! You won't regret it, I love my RRA.

As for chrome molly vs chrome lined, I don't think it makes much difference. Chrome molly is just a combination of chrome and other metals. For recreational shooters like us, we will most likely never wear out the barrel in the rest of our shooting lives. And hey, if by some chance we actually do, just buy a replacement barrel. Really, I wouldn't base your decision on that. If the molly is what they have in stock (most likely is) then just get that.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    The chrome lined barrels are easier to care for....if you put her away dirty one night and do not get to it for a day or two (or more) you won't have a rusty barrel/mess...also cleans up easier and stuff doesn't stick as easily if you end up shooting crap ammo from 3rd world countries.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    You have to keep in mind that there has been a run on AR-15's and other "assault"-style rifles ever since the elections. This has only accelerated since the assorted assault rifle ban bills were introduced.

I called around everywhere and 1100-1200 was pretty much the going price for the RRA Entry Tactical and 1200-1250 was the going price for the Bushmaster.

If you wait a while the prices may drop, buy who knows. If you wait too long they may have trouble getting them in stock. From what I understand there is a 3 month or more waiting time on Bush's right now.

That explanation makes the most sense so far, but I still have this image stuck in my mind:

Attachments

• fleeced.jpg
      fleeced.jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 156

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads