Bird Feeders are full, where are the birds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I haven't really noticed a slow down in bird visits, I see crows, wrens, nuthatches, cardinals, woodpeckers, the usual winter swarms of grackles and starlings but I don't let them land in the yard when I can help it.

The wife said something about there being a near absence of acorns this year and I have to say, I saw almost none when usually the deck and woods have plenty.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    typically they start hitting feeders when they run out of food elsewhere, maybe this year was a good year for forage/seeded plants?

Stole my thunder on this one. They'll be back when the other sources run out though, especially if we get another snow. This cold snap could being them around as well. Although we have been getting a ruby crown kinglet as well as a golden crown kinglet.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Been seeing all the regulars....woodpeckers, cardinals, nuthatches, chickadees, wrens, blue jays but for the first time yesterday I saw a group of eastern bluebirds. Hadn't seen them since I moved in. I've mostly been putting out a mix that has mainly sunflower seeds and they crush it. Probably the coolest bird I've seen feeding from it was a Scarlet Tanager. The bright red of the tanager puts a cardinal to shame.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    We are in Gaithersburg area and I have all kinds of birds on my 2 seed feeders and 2 suet feeders. Cardinals, Titmouse, Chickadees, 3 kinds of small woodpeckers and hordes of Junco on the ground. Squirrels would mess it sometimes. The wife had so much fun watching them every morning.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Out in the yard there are what looks to be a Towhee in the leaves searching for bugs or seeds. My first time seeing them out there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I had a similar problem. Lots of birds one day, hardly any the next. Turns out a small bird hawk was hanging around and eating a lot of birds. Somebody got the hawk with a pellet rifle :innocent0, and I haven't had a problem since.

As you can see from this legal language, migratory birds are highly regulated. Some migratory birds, like waterfowl can be legally hunted and possessed. However, there is no such provision for raptors. Eagles, ospreys, hawks, falcons, kites, owls, vultures and all other native North American birds of prey are strictly protected, to include a prohibition against the taking or possession of their parts such as feathers or talons. The only exceptions generally allowed for individuals to these prohibitions require permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Educational and scientific institutions are exempted from most permit requirements.

Penalties for violations of the MBTA can reach $15,000 and six months imprisonment for common violations. The sale or barter of migratory birds is a felony with penalties up to $500,000 and two years imprisonment. Some raptors are also protected under the Endangered Species Act, and both the Bald and Golden Eagles are also protected under the Eagle Act.

http://www.gpnc.org/raptors1.htm

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    butler, md here. noticed not many of anything on my feeders. finches and some hoary woodpeckers on the finch feeder and the occasional "snowbird" on the ground, not much else. not many hummingbirds last summer either. nature at it's finest.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What kind of bird is this? I have a ton of them at the house. Purdy rascals.
    9128d39ac39c77d5215edd88c5e400db.jpg

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    We have tons of those around here. Usually one meets it's maker flying into a window once a week lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have a greenhouse and it takes a toll on all kinds of birds.
    Most are stun and recover but many die.
    No cure for this bird flu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom