• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Well, the wait is over. Two things accomplished. My wife is now a registered owner of a regulated firearm and she has a 1911. They will soon have a couple pairs of custom grips from the wood pictured as well. The darker wood is cocobola and the lighter is Burle Thule. I had never heard of that before (and I have been in the woodworking industry for many years) Can't wait till they are done.

Attachments

• 20130830_161731.jpg
      20130830_161731.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 577
    • 20130920_150855.jpg
      20130920_150855.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 574

jwalker3181

Aspiring Zombie Hunter
    Sep 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    Nice looking gun, I see my new purchase in the background. How is the quality on those Aero Precision lowers?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I'm curious as to making the grips. Do you have any special jigs or just good wood working skills? I have some gorgeous African hardwoods I would like to make into grips.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm curious as to making the grips. Do you have any special jigs or just good wood working skills? I have some gorgeous African hardwoods I would like to make into grips.

Actually, I won't be making them myself. An ex employee of mine has a 5 axis cnc machine to make them. I'm sure he would love to use your wood to make a set for you as well. Cost is $65 plus any programming for engraving/inlaying etc.

I'm not willing to recommend him just yet as I have only seen photo's of his work and until I see the real deal, will keep it quiet.

hawkeye86

May 15, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Congrats, its s beauty.

I pick up my SR1911 commander in a few days. Please let me know how your grips turn out. I have some nice pieces of wood that will look good with the stainless.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Two more days... and I get to pick up my SR1911. Lord these 8 days have so slowly crept by, and staring at the calendar, reading the owners manual online, ordering a holster for it, etc. have not helped. Ruger must be working overtime getting these guns to market. Thankfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom