• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I currently have an SLR-106FR chambered in .223 Rem. I'm considering getting some optics, not sure if I should go with a weaver/STANAG type mount so I can use either power optics or a red-dot,

Or should I go with an ARS-type Russian military scope (400m illuminated reticle/rangefinder). I know the bullet drop compensator on the standard AK scopes are calibrated for 7.62x39. I'm guessing that the rangefinding and bullet drop markers are basically worthless for a totally different caliber.

Or are there Russian optics made for the 5.45x39 that aren't too far off from the .223? I know Izhevsk is producing the AK-101 rifle currently, which is what my SLR-106 is based off of. Maybe there's something out there...

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    eh, i'd do a new top cover with a weaver rail, more versatile. only downside is that there is more potential for movementof the top cover....could always get a mount that mounts to the receiver with a weaver rail, thats the best of both worlds......

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Yeah, mine came with the side-mount rail. I almost forgot about the Kobra sights. Those are nice.... I guess I should just go with a red-dot.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    i may or may not put some sighting mechanism on my AK, but i'll prolly just leave it open iron...its a fun gun, not a serious thing for me.

Jamie Young

Mar 20, 2006
    I prefer an EOTECH on my AKs. If you think you'll be taking longer range shots, just zero the gun at 200yds. Hold overs out to 400yds is nothing for a .223 variant.

Scout mounted or siderail.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Why would you need a scope on a street sweeping bullet hose anyway? You can't look through optics when the rifle spends all of its evil time down by your hip indiscriminately spraying bullets. ;)

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    i have one of the rails that attach to the ak side mount, it sits center over the bore and is rock solid, it sits high enough you can still use the irons, but too high to co-witness. You can mount whatever optic you want to it. I'll sell it for $30 if you wanna pick it up near harford county.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    ^^^ the nice thing about those is they generally hold a zero upon removal and replacement... at least my buddies holds enough of a zero we don't notice on his Saiga 12

Why would you need a scope on a street sweeping bullet hose anyway? You can't look through optics when the rifle spends all of its evil time down by your hip indiscriminately spraying bullets. ;)

THATS IT! I have a billion dollar idea!

Parascope mounts for aimed hip fire!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom