• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I'm surprised they showed their pictures. They usually hide it if it is a certain race.:sad20:

And if they are under age. They must be charging these guys as adults, which makes sense here. I must say though I'm so glad SB281 has made Maryland such a safer place to live. I wouldn't want to raise my kids anywhere else in the world.

Yeti Poacher

Dec 11, 2012
    Hunt Valley
    The lack of responsible grown ups to teach discipline and keep strict rules perhaps.

Most definitely.

It gets even better
    http://twitter.com/justingeorge/status/430411545198071808

Alonzo Gorham-Ramos, 15, one of accused, has a daughter & wanted bail to see her. Denied by judge

More irresponsible behavior.

When parents depend on the "village" (i.e. the government) to teach their children values and therefore do not do what they should do as parents, this is an example of the results.
    :sad20:

Welcome to the new normal.

Being productive and independent takes effort. Too much effort for some people... I can't comprehend how people love to be so dependent on gov't.

Ccw should not be an issue, just based on this craziness.

Agreed.

I posted about this a few days ago. This happened a few blocks from my house.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=144482

Sorry I did not notice! I hope things calm down in the city but I just don't see it happening. No way I will ever live there unless I can lawfully carry. Obviously the violence is not exclusively limited to gang members.

Bsmtboy2

Oct 27, 2013
    Hazzard County
    It is sad to see a woman lost her life to violence but I blame the justice system for this because these guys broke into the same house in August and got caught. The B/E trial was to begin in March.....she wasn't robbed she was executed to keep her from testifying against them. One of them lives on the same block.....WTF! This mentality of snuffing snitches is permeated through our teenagers regardless of color black/ white/ tan .

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    It is sad to see a woman lost her life to violence but I blame the justice system for this because these guys broke into the same house in August and got caught. The B/E trial was to begin in March.....she wasn't robbed she was executed to keep her from testifying against them. One of them lives on the same block.....WTF! This mentality of snuffing snitches is permeated through our teenagers regardless of color black/ white/ tan .

Both of those kids are listed as living in 21213, according to case search, not 21224.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    As a geographer, I really wonder how some people pick their residences. I know that when neighborhoods start going bad, getting OUT is a problem. You literally cannot afford to leave as you are unable to get anything close to market for your house.

However, anyone moving IN to a semi risky area need only crack open Google Maps and see what surrounds them. Why risk moving into a controversial area, on the HOPE that it will drive crime the opposite way, or at best keep it at bay? What do you think the un-employed/entitled do when you are asleep? They slept all day looking for a job. At night they become predators. They are drawn by the promise of riches just a few blocks away..... Heck I live in a "good" area in Carroll County and we still have crime. No one can stay up and watch all night. We all work.

Its not worth any potential financial gain to even take a chance. You may lose your entire housing investment, or worse, your life. Choose your residences wisely folks. Oh, and stay away from flood plains. All THREE of them...... Because 100 and 1000 year storms don't happen on that schedule. Its an AVERAGE.... :rolleyes:

Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    It wasn't his fault.
    He fell in with the wrong crowd.
    There weren't enough after-school activities.
    He is a victim of the entirely racist Baltimore City Government.

You forgot the other reasons....
    Abused as a child..and still is.
    Where's my daddy? Who's my daddy?
    His 25 yr old grandma says he is a nice boy.
    Couldn't find or afford 22lr ammo.
    Never went into a church he couldn't rob.
    It's warmer in jail than at his house.
    Never graduated from grade school.

:cool:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    As a geographer, I really wonder how some people pick their residences. I know that when neighborhoods start going bad, getting OUT is a problem. You literally cannot afford to leave as you are unable to get anything close to market for your house.

However, anyone moving IN to a semi risky area need only crack open Google Maps and see what surrounds them. Why risk moving into a controversial area, on the HOPE that it will drive crime the opposite way, or at best keep it at bay? What do you think the un-employed/entitled do when you are asleep? They slept all day looking for a job. At night they become predators. They are drawn by the promise of riches just a few blocks away..... Heck I live in a "good" area in Carroll County and we still have crime. No one can stay up and watch all night. We all work.

Its not worth any potential financial gain to even take a chance. You may lose your entire housing investment, or worse, your life. Choose your residences wisely folks. Oh, and stay away from flood plains. All THREE of them...... Because 100 and 1000 year storms don't happen on that schedule. Its an AVERAGE.... :rolleyes:

My employer has multiple locations in Baltimore and a "live near your work" program where they give employees money towards a home in select neighborhoods around the locations. My employer also has almost weekly sent email messages about armed robberies, assaults, etc in those areas.

They honestly couldn't pay me enough to move there even if the bought the house outright.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    What do you think the un-employed/entitled do when you are asleep?

That's the problem - they're not thinking. Most of the folks who are moving into blighted areas do so for one of two reasons: first, a shorter commute and second, to enjoy a greater degree of "walkability" and "the nightlife". The vast majority have no experience with violent crime and have no idea just how bad certain parts of this state are. Once they get here they usually stay in their tiny bubble and it becomes just a matter of time before they become a victim.

I have responded to far too many armed robberies, home invasions, burglaries, aggravated assaults and murders. Often times I come in and find the victim in tears because they've lost their entire life's work assuming that they're still alive.

I'll repeat the advice that I give whenever I have to respond to one of these crimes:

1) Purchase a quality lock and have it installed by a professional locksmith. A Medeco Maxum Deadbolt is a worthwhile investment. On the other end of the spectrum anything made by Kwikset is cosmetic crap. I hate Kwikset locks with every fiber of my being. They are complete garbage and you might as well leave the door open for all the protection they provide. If you have a cheap lock it will fall apart when forced, is susceptible to picking, bumping and other manipulation and can often be defeated with a simple pocket knife.

2) You have to reinforce the door jamb. Most burglaries that I respond to involve the offender kicking open one of the doors to the home, usually the rear door leading to the basement since entry through this particular door is the least likely to be witnessed by neighbors or passersby and takes the longest to be discovered by the homeowner. The reason that it's so easy to kick the door in is because the lock is metal and the frame is (usually) cheap, low grade wood. Metal is harder than wood therefore if you apply enough force the wood gives way. There are several commercial kits which you can purchase to reinforce the frame such as strikemaster, door jamb armor, ez armor etc. I won't recommend any particular one but I mention the names so that you can look each of them up and understand the concept. It's also important wherever possible to reinforce the hinges on your door so that a determined thief can't simply attack the door on the opposite side.

3) Prune your shrubs and install motion sensitive lights. It may sound cliched but burglars do in fact hide in the bushes. Make sure all the entrances to your home, including first floor and basement windows are free from line of sight obstructions.

4) Buy a safe and bolt it to the floor in a corner of the room. Bolting the safe into concrete is preferable to wood. Do not rely on cheap "safes" from Wal Mart or Sentry etc. These are not safes. A true safe is UL certified. Look for a TRTL-15 or TRTL-30 safe, have it installed by a professional and put your money, jewelry, negotiable instruments and any weapons you aren't actively using to defend yourself in the safe. Only a professional safe cracker will be able to get in and their kind are all but extinct. Those that remain don't bother with residential burglaries unless given good reason to. If you own things which are exceptionally valuable where you believe a professional may attempt to steal them consider investing in a TRTLX safe which will withstand explosive attack. Be prepared to pay top dollar.

For those who don't know TR equals torch resistant, TL equals tool resistant and X equals resistance to explosive attack. The number after the designation states the amount of time the safe is certified to resist attack with certain specified devices and methods.

5) Get an alarm and use it. An alarm won't keep them from breaking in and it won't save your life if they attack you straight away but it will limit their time in the house which can mean the difference between losing a few items and losing everything as well as the difference between being assaulted and having your attacker(s) remain in your home and, ahem, take their time with you.

6) Arm yourself and train accordingly. Buy a firearm that you're comfortable with and which suits your needs. Seek out training for your weapon and purchase appropriate accessories such as weapon lights and spare ammunition holders. Make sure you practice with any accessories that you purchase. I would much rather respond to a justified homicide than multiple felony murders.

When you're out of the house, please, I beg you, lock the gun in a safe bolted to the floor. I can't tell you how many good weapons are taken during burglaries. AR-15s, AK-47s, SIGs, Glocks, H&Ks etc all are taken on a regular basis during burglaries because their owners leave them in a nightstand or in a shoe box. A good rule of thumb is that your safe should cost as much as what's in it. It makes no sense to put $10,000 worth of firearms in a $179 cabinet made out of sheet metal that can be opened with a screwdriver.

7) Understand the laws as they relate to self defense. Know what constitutes "perfect self defense" and when you have a duty to retreat.

8) Most importantly, use common sense. If you know someone is a low life or uses drugs don't allow them into your house. If your son is a heroin addict he isn't your son anymore - he belongs to the drug. If he knows you have valuables he's going to take them and he may very well murder you if you stand in his way.

Nokas

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    These are the people that America has to live with. I'm happy I will be buying a new home overseas where there is true peace and prosperity, and no troubled demographics like we have in US.

Bsmtboy2

Oct 27, 2013
    Hazzard County
    The home invasion thing is very real. Here in Hazzard county about 2 years after I bought my home my neighbors were invaded right across the street! I realized that day that crime is not a matter of IF but When. I have been prepared ever since. If the dogs don't get'em I definitely will.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I continue to advise women in particular to be prepared with heavy duty pepper spray when out and about shopping or running errands, and to have a 'piece' available when at home. Often I hear that 'the neighborhood is safe' and that is the head in the sand response from folks who are reluctant to admit that their hood is indeed unsafe.

I recognized years ago that Laurel, MD is indeed Unsafe, MD 20707 and that fact has been confirmed with recent killings (West Laurel and north Laurel), robberies (Weis, Walmart), home invasions, petty thefts and scams of all sorts.

Lew--Ranger63 & Good Guy 176

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    These are the people that America has to live with. I'm happy I will be buying a new home overseas where there is true peace and prosperity, and no troubled demographics like we have in US.

I have been all over the world and trust me no one has true peace and prosperity. This is human nature and crime and troubles are everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom