• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwalker3181

Aspiring Zombie Hunter
    Sep 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    I'm thinking of building a 1911 from a bare frame and I needed to know if any of the parts need to go through a FFL. Thanks

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What frame? Remember, the frame has to be on MD's approved list otherwise it can't be transferred to you. Off the top of my head Caspian and Fusion frames are approved. Chip McCormick frames are also approved but I have heard that they are no longer made.

Fusion sells kits in different levels of machining. Of course, the price reflects that as well. I think you can also arrange with Fusion for them to do the finish for you.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Go with Caspian if you can, they're the best base frames I've had experience with. The WC ones look good (especially since you can get a slide/frame set pre-fit) but they're not on the roster.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I just looked at the Ares Armament 80% frame that they are selling preorders for 99 plus 99 when they ship. How hard would it be to match a slide to a frame from another brand? Worth the effort? Seems like it might be a good project though

http://www.aresarmor.com/install/ecom-prodshow/AA-1911-F.html

You're gonna need $400-500 in tooling to properly fit the slide to the frame. And that doesn't include a mill to machine your slide rails and other things to make it a 100% lower. You will also need a lathe to properly fit the barrel and bushing, unless you get a "drop-in" set and even then most of those require just a little bit of machining.

A 1911 build is NOT like an AR-15 build at all. Sometimes you can slap together something that works. You can build a relatively nice AR-15 with an armorer's wrench, bench blocks and a set of punches, but 1911s are MUCH MUCH more involved. IMHO unless you're an experienced gunsmith, leave this one to the pro's. I've built a few from the ground up and even for someone who works on guns practically every day, I know how much time and effort goes into making these right.

I can't ever say I've had "fun" building a 1911, but the rewarding feeling when you build one just right is amazing. If you're really good with small hand tools and have hours upon hours of free time each week, it might be worth trying.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    You're gonna need $400-500 in tooling to properly fit the slide to the frame. And that doesn't include a mill to machine your slide rails and other things to make it a 100% lower. You will also need a lathe to properly fit the barrel and bushing, unless you get a "drop-in" set and even then most of those require just a little bit of machining.

A 1911 build is NOT like an AR-15 build at all. Sometimes you can slap together something that works. You can build a relatively nice AR-15 with an armorer's wrench, bench blocks and a set of punches, but 1911s are MUCH MUCH more involved. IMHO unless you're an experienced gunsmith, leave this one to the pro's. I've built a few from the ground up and even for someone who works on guns practically every day, I know how much time and effort goes into making these right.

I can't ever say I've had "fun" building a 1911, but the rewarding feeling when you build one just right is amazing. If you're really good with small hand tools and have hours upon hours of free time each week, it might be worth trying.
    VERY WELL SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    Thanks. That is the kind of insight I was looking for in order to make an informed decision. I think I will just save for one

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey VW - I think you're the one I lent my Ruger MkIII to at Freestate. I got a 1911 that's not exactly expensive but not exactly that cheap either. If you want to put some rounds through it and hear what I have to say about it, just let me know

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom