Why is it only AR bolts need to be MPI and HP tested?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Everyone says you MUST get an AR bolt that has been magnetic particle inspected and high pressure tested. Ok - so why don't other semi-auto rifles required the same? I never hear of an AK, or a FAL, or a SCAR 17, or a G3 requiring these tests on their bolts. Why is that??

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    It's part of the TDP for a mil spec rifle. To ensure the bolt is manufactured to specs and will be safe to use*.

The AK's, FAL's and G3's of the world may not require such stringent testing and proofing (although the G3 probably does)

*The MUST part is really perpetuated by those mil spec fanboys who masturbate over Matechs, carry handles, M855, and suffer from premature ejaculation when someone mentions Colt.

Post GWOT initiation and expiration of the Federal AWB the AR market has exploded with accesories and parts that fall into 3 categories, less than mil spec, equal to mil spec and better than milspec (application dependent)

Milspec is simply a STANDARD. It is up to the end user to determine what they need in a rifle.

Let's talk bolts. Bolts are made in batches and either not tested, batch tested or individually tested. Theoretically speaking if Company A makes them out of the same material and makes them the same way as Companies B and C there should be no issues providing there are no flaws in the raw material. Company A makes em doesn't test em just ships em out. Company B tests 5 out of every 100 made. Company C adheres to the milspec and tests every individual bolt. IF it where my money I would buy from company C for peace of mind.If I was given a rifle with a bolt from company B I wouldn't worry too much. If given a rifle with a bolt from Company A I'd probably send it to be tested if possible.

The most important thing is when you clean the gun to inspect the bolt for cracks, flaking, pitting, uneven wesr on the lugs, and discoloration EVERY time. Generally a good guideline is every 1k down the tube. Buy a spare bolt and enjoy life.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok MOPAR - then based on what you just said, I would say the QC of the manufacturer is most important, and also that buying a bolt from a top notch company then is more important than a MILSPEC bolt from "Shit Guns R Us".

[EDIT - although I admit all of the top-notch companies seem to MPI/HPT their bolts]

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Ok MOPAR - then based on what you just said, I would say the QC of the manufacturer is most important, and also that buying a bolt from a top notch company then is more important than a MILSPEC bolt from "Shit Guns R Us".

[EDIT - although I admit all of the top-notch companies seem to MPI/HPT their bolts]

How are you using the weapon? Is it a wall hanger? Is it a plinker? Is it a shooting range queen? Is it a "hunting" rifle? Is it a home defense weapon? Is it your SHTF weapon?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

All the top knotch companies got that way through excellent QC and in house manufacturing. I won't buy an AR part from a company that doesn't offer in house pinned front sight assemblies and mil spec bolts/BCG's. Those two items are the KEY to a reliable AR. Any retard with a machine shop can buy barrels and assemble guns with set screw gas blocks, can cut teeth off a barrel nut, and thread a barrel with a tap and die set. But those two items require fixtures, templates, jigs and testing facilities and it's a fair shot that if they can hold QC on those two items and make a profit then the chances go up on everything else.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How are you using the weapon? Is it a wall hanger? Is it a plinker? Is it a shooting range queen? Is it a "hunting" rifle? Is it a home defense weapon? Is it your SHTF weapon?

Good question. I would have a different attitude of I were a mercenary operating in some harsh corner of the globe. My (modern) firearms are mostly plinkers and hunters.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Now I am wondering how many of my AR bolts are MPI/HPT. BCM bolts are; most (but not all) PSA bolts are; Remington (aka DPMS)??? Windham weaponry??? Anyways - all this has been very useful.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IF Crap Guns are Us individually tested each bolt, then the consumers would be assured of getting at least a milspec bolt. The company might have a high internal rejection rate, but the ones that passed would be "milspec" .

If a high end boutique mfg with tight QC randomly picked a batch and didn't test them, they would have very high probability of being fine.

It would be in the middle, ie a company too new to have a track record, or has a so-so reputation, that does batch testing, where you would pause and make a decision.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    If you're not going to war buy what you can afford but PSAs MPI/HPT bolts are only a few bucks more than their non MPI/HPT ones. On my two builds I went with tested but that's just me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

QC is a fluid term. Even the best manufacturers have bolts that fail the MPI testing. That's why the test. It is also probably due to the method in which AR/M4 bolts made.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How are AR bolts made?

A lot of the others are machined from forgings. So less likely to have issues.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The AR bolt is a different animal when compared to most bolts.

There are eight little lugs. That means there are sixteen internal corners that can develop stress fractures during the manufacturing/forging and cooling stage. If you want to count the back side of each lug, that's eight more 90 degree corners.

Metal parts love failing/cracking where sharp corners are involved.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is interesting, since I was always inclined to think the MPI/HPT was marketing hype. I did not realize it was part of the MILSPEC. Maybe it's a good $25 investment (or so of extra cost) for that extra bit of assurance.
    [EDIT - sometimes only $5 difference]

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    A friend of mine thought he would save some money by buying a less than mil. spec. bolt. When one of the lugs next to the extractor broke off, it didn't turn out to be such a good deal. The lug next to the extractor cut seems to be where most of them fail. He replaced it with a mil spec bolt and hasn't had a problem since.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The AR bolt is a different animal when compared to most bolts.

There are eight little lugs. That means there are sixteen internal corners that can develop stress fractures during the manufacturing/forging and cooling stage. If you want to count the back side of each lug, that's eight more 90 degree corners.

Metal parts love failing/cracking where sharp corners are involved.

Are they forged? Or machined from cast?

Either way, that was my thinking, more likely to have issues based on how they are manufactured.

Also, the lugs are smaller, so a minor flaw could have big consequences. Versus an FAL bolt which is a pretty massive chuck of steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom