• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    What am I doing wrong? Trying to search the FNH-45 Tactical to see if its on the approved list of handguns and every time I type the info on the search feature it doesn't come up and they only list 0-100 for manufactures starting with A. Is there a listing somewhere where a person with limited computer skills can look?

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    What am I doing wrong? Trying to search the FNH-45 Tactical to see if its on the approved list of handguns and every time I type the info on the search feature it doesn't come up and they only list 0-100 for manufactures starting with A. Is there a listing somewhere where a person with limited computer skills can look?

try FNH FNP-45 tactical it might yield better results. unless your looking for the striker which is the FNS or the newer DA/SA which is the FDX .

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Not to steal the thread but what classifies a banned handgun from the roster list. Did a search on Google "mdshooters.com banned handguns" and results where not what looking for. So other then the gun not being on the roster what does it take for a handgun to be banned?

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Fn Herstal appears to be a foreign company not a specific handgun

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      52.9 KB · Views: 562

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Fn Herstal appears to be a foreign company not a specific handgun

After you enter FN Herstal into the handgun roster search. Manufacture. FN Herstal will appear.

Tap Manufacturer and a lust of their approved handguns will appear. I don't know why, but I cannot copy a link to that page.

I will try to get a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-22-19-33-10.jpg
      Screenshot_2016-07-22-19-33-10.jpg
      42.4 KB · Views: 546
    • Screenshot_2016-07-22-19-33-32.jpg
      Screenshot_2016-07-22-19-33-32.jpg
      39.8 KB · Views: 544

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I am sorry misunderstood you but I was saying what classifies a handgun as banned other then the reason it's not on the roster. So I am getting at is the roster another Maryland haha "screw you" because there is no justifiable reason for a handgun to be banned?

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Handguns are not "banned" per se (except for what is called "Assault Pistols" from and ancient list) it's just that the only ones APPROVED for sale in Maryland have to be on the roster. IPs here, and even individual members of MDS, have successfully submitted new guns for approval in the past.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Not to steal the thread but what classifies a banned handgun from the roster list. Did a search on Google "mdshooters.com banned handguns" and results where not what looking for. So other then the gun not being on the roster what does it take for a handgun to be banned?

Nothing really.

If it isn't on the roster, it is essentially banned in MD. There are two types of guns that are not on the roster:

1) Ones that haven't been petitioned to be added.
    2) Ones that have been petitioned and were explicitly not added.

I don't know how to find which guns are on which of the two lists. If the gun is on list one, you can petition for it to be added to the list. Doing so is relatively painless, but will take 90+ days. If the gun is on list 2, then you are SOL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    they usually put the adds at the beginning or end. i'll try to look. later.

ETA-they seemed to have changed the listings. they used to put the additions at the end of the listing

oh well

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I am sorry misunderstood you but I was saying what classifies a handgun as banned other then the reason it's not on the roster. So I am getting at is the roster another Maryland haha "screw you" because there is no justifiable reason for a handgun to be banned?

There are banned handguns in Maryland. Derringers with no trigger guards and really short (1.75" for example) barrel derringers are "banned" in that the roster board will not approve them. I tried to submit 2 and they were denied. There is a Derringer on the roster, but it's a 6" barrel, I believe.

The only other guns that don't make the roster once submitted are ones that fail their safety tests. Some, for example, recently had slam fires or broken safeties once submitted. One even had a broken firing pin.

The MSP crime lab takes them apart and inspects and test fires them for safety. If they fail their checks, they don't get added to the roster. Dealers can resubmit it and they will check it again.

You do not need to have a sample of the gun to submit a petition, but it does help the process along.

I've submitted 10 now, I think, and they all got approved. The GSG Firefly (formerly the Sig Mosquito) was submitted today. It won't hit the roster until probably November because of timing their meetings and crime lab schedules.

BTW: the handgun roster board meetings are open to the public if you wish to see their proceedings.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    All you really need to know is that there are four types of Olympic Free Pistol (.22 single-shot, about 1 foot long, priced between $1500 and $2000) currently in production.

Only one can be legally bought in Maryland.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    they usually put the adds at the beginning or end. i'll try to look. later.

ETA-they seemed to have changed the listings. they used to put the additions at the end of the listing

oh well

Having just gone through this process to get my KRISS Vector Gen II 9x19mm SDP approved, I feel I'm uniquely qualified to speak as to the details of the petitioning process.

Bought the Vector back in April (yes, you heard correctly), and just did the paperwork for it this week.

My process was as follows, once my LGS told me that he couldn't release it to me because it wasn't on the handgun roster (they are VERY specific when it comes to EXACT models and EXACT calibers in the roster listings).

I went to the Maryland State Police Handgun Roster Board page, and downloaded the Handgun Roster Petition form. After filling it out, I mailed it certified mail, return receipt requested, to Maryland Handgun Roster Board, Maryland State Police, 1201 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, Maryland 21208. Invariably, it will at some point land on the desk of one Marlene Jenkins, the Handgun Roster Board Administrator. She can be reached at 410-653-4247 or via e-mail at marlene.jenkins@maryland.gov.

Due to timing, my petition didn't come up in the batch being discussed at the next roster review board meeting, so that put me back a few weeks right there (they do not meet often). This is also why Swinokur wasn't able to find the handgun roster update in the latest copy of the Maryland Register (as there wasn't one). They seem to be hit or miss, but what you're looking for is a section toward the bottom of the online Register called "Department of State Police - Handgun Roster Board". They will typically show up every 2-4 copies of the Register (which are released every two weeks).

Once the petition has been seen by the board, and approved, it goes on the Register for a 30-day period to give anyone who see a potential addition they disagree with for any reason to contest it in writing. At the end of the 30th day from publication in the Register, it is usually added to the Handgun Roster within 24-48 hours, and is then available to purchase/transfer/possess.

Since I was in the position of having already purchased an unapproved pistol and had not yet picked it up (for obvious reasons), to accelerate the process, I had sent in a note with my petition stating that I could arrange a sample firearm for the board to examine to assist in their evaluation.

So, all that being said, after waiting about a month and seeing nothing on the register, I called in to check on the status of my petition. Board hadn't seen it yet, it was due up in the next batch at the next meeting coming up in a few more weeks. Great! A few days before the board convened, I received a phone call from someone at the roster board (forget who, unfortunately), who inquired about my sample. I explained my FFL was holding onto it for me, called them to let them know the roster board was inquiring and to expect a call from them, and the board rep and my FFL arranged for my firearm to be shipped to Reisterstown ahead of the board meeting (which I want to say was held in May).

The day before the Register was to be published, I called Marlene and asked about my Vector, to which she said was approved and would be going up on the 30-day list on the next edition of the Register. Since they lost or didn't have shipping containers (she was apologetic about this), I had to arrange for my FFL to pick up my pistol from Reisterstown afterward. They're good guys, and did so without complaint (they also had business down there to attend to, so it worked out well for everyone, all things considered). Alternatively, I'd have had to have filled out the paperwork, waited my seven days, and gone down to pick it up myself after becoming the legal owner of it.

So, now here we are. Next Wednesday when I pick up my Vector (and some other stuff, became a Designated Collector entirely inside this whole process :D), it will have been 115 days from when funds left my wallet to being able to bring it home.

Throughout the process, the one thing that stuck in my head was, "What if I wasn't able to provide a sample?" Is this possibly a way for them to just ignore certain firearms until they're able to get a hands-on? I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist yet, but we all know what it's like when gun control creeps up in the guise of bureaucracy. That being said, Marlene was always affable and pleasant to talk to (as were others from the board I spoke with), and I have the feeling that her office is more on our side than anything.

I do know through PMs and doing research here on MDShooters that other members had previously petitioned for my model of pistol to be added, in some cases up to a couple of months before I had, and nothing had come of it by the time I bit the bullet and did it too, "just to be sure."

Lastly, a note on providing samples to the board for review. About 5-8 business days after my FFL sent my Vector to the board for review, I received a letter from the board, stating that my petition had been received, that it was complete and had been given a docket number, and to mention the docket number in further correspondence. Here's the kicker, though:

"The Board, at its option, shall either return the sample to you upon completion of its examination or reimburse you at the fair market value of the handguns."

Risky? Perhaps. I can confirm that I received my firearm back in new/good condition, however, without scratches or obscene handling marks on it.

If anyone has any questions about the process I haven't covered here, please post or message me and I'll do what I can to help.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I did look at the previous MD register and while it had the complete roster, it did not contain a separate list of approvals like it used to.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Clarification - FN released the FNP back in 2009. The newer version the FNX, was released in 2012. There have been a number of references in this thread to pistols that simply don't exist.

The pistol OP is looking for is the "FNH FNX-45 Tactical"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom