• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    So there is a conversion kit for the 500/590 to make it a bullpup. However, the 500 bullpup is illegal per FSA2013 (Officially it calls it "Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun"). Would this prevent me from converting my 590 to a bullpup?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Can you show the cite where it says it is banned? Last I checked the OAL was only for centerfire rifles.

Mossy 500 bullpup is a named banned gun, like the Mini 14 with folding stock. The other variants are A-OK.
    The Mossy 590/590A1 has a heavier barrel and magazine tube but IIRC they'll both screw into a Mossberg 500 reciever, and the bolts are the same so I would put money on banned/illegal. But, 500 and 590 does require swapping over of parts to function so maybe not banned?

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    would the 590 be a copycat? It uses the same parts so they are obviously interchangeable. As far as the Remington 870 nothing should interchange and they aren't listed so.....:D

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Can you show the cite where it says it is banned? Last I checked the OAL was only for centerfire rifles.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0623f.pdf

Page 11, line 23 (aka item #30).

Mossy 500 bullpup is a named banned gun, like the Mini 14 with folding stock. The other variants are A-OK.
    The Mossy 590/590A1 has a heavier barrel and magazine tube but IIRC they'll both screw into a Mossberg 500 reciever, and the bolts are the same so I would put money on banned/illegal. But, 500 and 590 does require swapping over of parts to function so maybe not banned?

There lies my quandary. It names the Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun but does not mention anything about "copycats". Like, for instance, the AR-15 is banned by name with the wording of "Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle". Thus banning all copycats of the AR-15 with the exception of HBARs. Another example is "Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats". That wording does not seem to exist for the 500. So I think I'm fine converting, but wanted to use people as a sounding board.

Yes, that's the kit I want for my 590 (obviously using the 590 variant kit). It seems like it'd make it a sweet little home defense gun for tight corners. I really don't want to have to buy a 870, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom