Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 25th, 2020, 08:19 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-Pack View Post
Yes, things can happen suddenly and without warning (car accident, plane crash, tree crashing into your bedroom during a storm, etc...). Yes, more people die of the flu SO FAR on an annual basis.

I think you fail to understand the difference between this and the flu (or maybe you just don't want to face reality). The rate of hospitalization for this is between 15%-20% (from what I've read). We do not have enough hospital beds, let alone ventilators, to accommodate this many sick people.

Simply put: we have a finite number of resources and the people sick with this will exceed the resources we have available. I don't know why people don't understand this.
Read the article linked a few posts above yours.

NO ONE KNOWS. Corona viruses are one of the causes of the common cold. So MANY people may have had it, had mild symptoms and never reported it.

That 15 - 20% is for people who are sick enough seek medical attention.

Article states 30 to 300 times as many having mild symptoms without seeking medical attention. Personally, I have been saying 10 - 100 times.

Right now, data is 96% of the active cases are Mild. Only 4% are Serious or Critical. And again, those percentages are of KNOWN cases.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:20 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith101 View Post
Yes he does and he says people are making decisions without reliable data.
Unfortunately the decisions have to be made NOW using what data they have.
Or would you prefer to wait until enough body bags fill up so the data becomes "reliable" and then make the decision. The decision will be better but it wont help the people in the body bags .
No, we know how many are dying.

We do NOT know how many people have had it, but a mild enough case that they never went for medical attention.
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:56 PM #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combloc View Post
You do know that during an average flu season, in the Unites States alone, MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people are infected and 30,000 - 50,000 die, right? That's approximately 300 people PER DAY. Yet people carry on like nothing has changed. There is no panic, no remodeling garages as mail triage centers, no shutting down stores, no destroying the economy in a manufactured crisis, just life.....and death. It's the way of things. 300 people PER DAY in an average flu season. Since November, the beer virus has killed less than THREE DAYS worth of people compared to the run of the mill seasonal flu. You folks can drink the media/government sweetened Kool-Aid if you'd like. I'll stick with pure water.
+1.
MSI member
Meade Rod & Gun Club member
Meade Rifle & Pistol Club member
INMY01TA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:55 PM #54

Quote:
You do know that during an average flu season, in the Unites States alone, MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people are infected and 30,000 - 50,000 die, right? That's approximately 300 people PER DAY. Yet people carry on like nothing has changed. There is no panic, no remodeling garages as mail triage centers, no shutting down stores, no destroying the economy in a manufactured crisis, just life.....and death. It's the way of things. 300 people PER DAY in an average flu season. Since November, the beer virus has killed less than THREE DAYS worth of people compared to the run of the mill seasonal flu. You folks can drink the media/government sweetened Kool-Aid if you'd like. I'll stick with pure water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
+1.
This is the type of thinking that leads a country into social, health and economic ruin. True, many of us don't really care for influenza because it usually only impacts the at risk and elderly population. For the vast majority of the population we have vaccines that work for influenza. We have treatments that work for influenza, we have known about influenza for over 100 years and we as a society accept that "flu season" comes every year and most of us are fine.

In 1918-1919 50 million people in the world died to a virus we'd never seen before. No vaccines, no treatments except "fresh air". That was the first influenza pandemic. 2-3% of the worlds population, more people that died fighting in world war I. This was the Spanish Influenza (even though it likely originated on a pigfarm in Kansas)

In 2020 there are over 8 billion people on this world and we are more densely packed and connected than ever before. We have no immunity to this coronavirus, it spreads easier than the flu and kills better than the flu. We have no treatments except a prayer that an 80yr old anti malaria drug can even give us a fighting chance. We're not even close to peak disease in this country or the world so your quote of "Flu kills more people per day than what we've seen so far" is naive at best. We're doing all this so we don't lose more people than the flu.

The point is everyone has a choice to make. Is it "its just the flu bro" or are you going to take personal responsibility and do your part in slowing down the spread of this pandemic
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 10:53 PM #55
NRA Life Member

NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
This is the type of thinking that leads a country into social, health and economic ruin. True, many of us don't really care for influenza because it usually only impacts the at risk and elderly population. For the vast majority of the population we have vaccines that work for influenza. We have treatments that work for influenza, we have known about influenza for over 100 years and we as a society accept that "flu season" comes every year and most of us are fine.

In 1918-1919 50 million people in the world died to a virus we'd never seen before. No vaccines, no treatments except "fresh air". That was the first influenza pandemic. 2-3% of the worlds population, more people that died fighting in world war I. This was the Spanish Influenza (even though it likely originated on a pigfarm in Kansas)

In 2020 there are over 8 billion people on this world and we are more densely packed and connected than ever before. We have no immunity to this coronavirus, it spreads easier than the flu and kills better than the flu. We have no treatments except a prayer that an 80yr old anti malaria drug can even give us a fighting chance. We're not even close to peak disease in this country or the world so your quote of "Flu kills more people per day than what we've seen so far" is naive at best. We're doing all this so we don't lose more people than the flu.

The point is everyone has a choice to make. Is it "its just the flu bro" or are you going to take personal responsibility and do your part in slowing down the spread of this pandemic
Well said.

They seem to be in the “if I get Corona, I get Corona” camp.
Old March 25th, 2020, 10:56 PM #56
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Stop Negassing me!!!!!

As I've said, there is the corona virus and there is the panic virus. One is far more virulent than the other.

Just like every year, I hope I don't catch the flu/HIV/Hep C/leprosy/a cold/ebola/a bullet/etc. This year, I hope a don't catch the Wu Han beer hangover too. I hope I don't catch these things but I won't stop living my life to ensure it. I have a better chance of dying in a car crash on the beltway than I do the things listed above. One thing a can assure you of is that I won't catch is the panic virus. I do take personal responsibility. I take personal responsibility for living my life, not in fear, but rather in the knowledge that I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death. To all the people that want to give in to fear and hide, have at it. As for me......tomorrow morning I'm going to get out of bed, take a shower, go to work, shake hands with friends and walk out into the world looking for my next adventure.

2. If it's Czech and it's military, it's Cool!!

3. This Great Nation was born one fine spring day in 1775 when Patriots stood firm at Lexington Green against King George's armed soldiers who had come looking to disarm free Men.

4. I'm not a Covidiot so I refuse to wear your social control implement.
Combloc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 12:45 AM #57

Quote:
As I've said, there is the corona virus and there is the panic virus. One is far more virulent than the other.

Just like every year, I hope I don't catch the flu/HIV/Hep C/leprosy/a cold/ebola/a bullet/etc. This year, I hope a don't catch the Wu Han beer hangover too. I hope I don't catch these things but I won't stop living my life to ensure it. I have a better chance of dying in a car crash on the beltway than I do the things listed above. One thing a can assure you of is that I won't catch is the panic virus. I do take personal responsibility. I take personal responsibility for living my life, not in fear, but rather in the knowledge that I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death. To all the people that want to give in to fear and hide, have at it. As for me......tomorrow morning I'm going to get out of bed, take a shower, go to work, shake hands with friends and walk out into the world looking for my next adventure.
again, +1. I am considered essential at my job so nothing changes for us anyway. I already washed my hands before all this so life goes on.
MSI member
Meade Rod & Gun Club member
Meade Rifle & Pistol Club member
INMY01TA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 05:34 AM #58
The M1 Does My Talking

The M1 Does My Talking

Quote:

... I have a better chance of dying in a car crash on the beltway than I do the things listed above. ... shake hands with friends and walk out into the world looking for my next adventure.
Bullshit. You have a greater chance of drowning in your own blood two weeks from today than of dying in a car crash. They aren't filling FEMA trailers with dead car crash victims.

That risk is greatly, stupidly increased by shaking people's hands. Why not get shitfaced drunk and drive at high speed against traffic? Even then, I'm not sure if you'll even up the odds.

Will this be this your new avatar, two months from now?

Name:  MDS RIP.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  4.1 KB

“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.”
― Ronald Reagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdFhG9anY8
Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 06:17 AM #59

Being careful is not living in fear. I lock my doors at night and keep a gun handy. The odds of a home invasion happening to me are slim. But I do what I can to prevent it just in case.

Just try to be safe with this virus. Do what you have to do to get by. If you have to work, try to be as safe as you can. If you get it, you get it but do all you can to prevent it. Shaking hands and going out as usual is asinine. There's no need for it. Lets all just make a small effort to get thru this thing. We can ALL argue and joke about it at a later date, maybe, but for now PLEASE be careful.
namrelio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:44 AM #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post

You are missing the whole point.

The point is, MANY people die every year from the flu. Or car accidents (35,000 - 40,000). Or medical mistakes (over 250,000). Or heart problems (647,000). Or cancer (about 600,000).

But people are panicked over corona virus, because it is new.

So the comment, "it's just the flu" is that people accept that 30,000 to 50,000 die EVERY YEAR, in the US alone, from the flu, but we accept that, because that is how things are. BTW, that means around 100 - 150 PER DAY on average.

And influenza and emphysema are about number 8 on the cause of death in the US.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers

Tags
you're all wrong