Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 25th, 2020, 03:50 PM #1

45 Colt BP cartridges

OK,
I'm sure those Hooligans have done this so looking for what you guys have done.
I have a 45 mold that drops a 215gr bullet and sizer for .452

I use this with Trailboss right now for my Taylors Colt 45 Revolver and Henry Lever action.

I'd like to look at loading up some FFFG and lube the bullets (2 grooves) with the Lube I use for the Springfield 1863 Muskets (Old Trappers MCM Lube).

I know I dont want a gap between powder and bullet.

I measured 35grains of FFFG gets me to the point of powder touching the bottom of the seated/crimped bullet. I can bump it a tad to make sure I'm getting a slight compression (or should I).

Do I need to drop the powder amount and add in a lubed wad between the Powder and the bullet?

Any other advice before I start? I'd prefer to hear form the MDS group vs jumping on another forum

Regular Large Rifle Primers ok with FFFg?
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 07:30 PM #2

No wad needed

I use a heaping 2.2 cc dipper which is 35gr+/- Big lube 200 gr bullet for rifle, 200 gr RNFP with black powder lube for pistol (Missouri Bullet Co).
No need for wad in either. Have gone over 150 shots without cleaning guns, just a spritz of Ballistol and water every once in a while.
Attached Images

Treedoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:59 PM #3

I donít load 45 colt with black powder, but do for 44-40. You can shoot reduced black powder loads, you just need a filler to keep the powder compressed. I use cream of wheat over my powder then seat my bullet.
Brickman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 12:26 PM #4

I don't load BP cartridges. I do shoot black powder cap and ball revolver. I was told to be sure I use ballistol and water to clean and lube those weapons, not Hoppes #3 like for my modern firearms. Any concerns with dies that get used both to load black powder and smokeless?
Old March 26th, 2020, 01:45 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras_oscar View Post
I don't load BP cartridges. I do shoot black powder cap and ball revolver. I was told to be sure I use ballistol and water to clean and lube those weapons, not Hoppes #3 like for my modern firearms. Any concerns with dies that get used both to load black powder and smokeless?
No issues with the dies be used for both types of powder. black powder is only corrosive after itís been ignited.

Cleaning black powder weapons, I have found nothing cleans as good as soap and water. Make sure all the water is gone, then you can use whatever you want to prevent rust.
Brickman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 04:39 PM #6

Well , BP Ctg is pretty much exclusively cast bullets . Similar to heavy loads of slow burning smokeless , firm case neck tension and proper crimp are critical for consistency/ accuracy . With your bullet design, and your sized diameter .

Bottom line - you need proper relationship of sized ( case) diameter, case expander, and crimp die for cast bullets , but requirements for cast + BP will be similar for cast + smokeless .

If the bullets are large enough as cast, with your alloy , sizing to .454 is * usually * a good thing .

If you're only doing a few just for the heck of it , go ahead with your usual ML lube . If you will be pursuing this , look into SPG lube . It is the gold standard for BPC , and also works great with smokeless .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 08:56 PM #7
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

I use 2F (FFg...if that's what you want to call it) for .45Colt. Through a drop tube, I think it's 35 gr. that puts just a touch of compression on it behind my 250gr bullet. As you know, the case needs to be filled...with something. A solution I've heard about (but haven't yet tried) for lighter loads is using .45 SW brass (Schofield). It's essentially shortened .45 Colt brass. You use the same bullet, but there is less space in the catridge to fill with powder...therefore a lighter load without fillers. That should work in your revolver, but I don't know if your rifle would like the shorter OAL.

If you don't have a drop tube, I "made" one out of a 24" section of 3/8 copper pipe and 3/8 to 1/2 reducing coupler (both on the shelf at Lowes). That stupid little copper pipe was still pretty expensive (I want to say $12 or so...and this was a few years ago) but still cheaper than a "storebought" drop tube.

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"

I would like to change my gender identity to "Well Regulated Militia."
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2020, 05:23 PM #8

With the misty wet mess out there, my saturday to do list was reduced so had time to load some up.
I found some 44/45 cal wonder wads so I loaded up some with 3F with and without the wads.
Lubed the bullets with MCM lube I use on my minie balls
the 2.2cc dipper worked great for dropping enough powder to compress the 200grain cast bullets I am using

Now for the weeks and hopefully NOT months wait for the range to open back up
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading