• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    I just took possession of my first can, A Silencerco Sparrow. I'm in love to say the least.

How do you identify a squib when suppressed? I can't find info on this anywhere. Do I just listen for...essentially silence? I'm using sub sonic ammo and it's pretty darn quiet as is.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I assume if there is not enough power to expel the bullet out of the barrel, there would not be enough power to eject the casing, so that may be a warning.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Outstanding question.

Will be interested in hearing the answer from a suppressor owner.

I do agree with your total silence theory though. Or maybe you'll hear the primer pop.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    When you shoot subsonic .22 through a can, all you hear is the action. It will eject, but it will not seat a new round. A good indication of a squib would be a failure to eject.

Of course all firearms are different. Figure out how yours reacts to subsonic before you use the supressor.

It can be very hard to tell when you are at an indoor range. With hearing protection and people firing around you.

Last edited:

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I didn't think a 22 would squib. Google thinks otherwise.

I saw a report of a Ruger Mk 2 where someone tried to shoot the squib out, several times! It did not blow up and the the bullet got more stuck. Two people claimed to see pictures of a barrel cut in half with multiple bullets in the barrel. I looked for those but could not find them.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    When you shoot subsonic .22 through a can, all you hear is the action. It will eject, but it will not seat a new round. A good indication of a squib would be a failure to eject.

Of course all firearms are different. .

Exactly. My 10/22 would be easy, because it won't have the oomph to eject the spent cartridge.

My concern is putting the can on my CZ455 bolt-action. *I* provide the energy to eject for that one.

And yes, scruffy-looking indeed. :party29:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Here ya go.

ddd.jpg

wwww.jpg

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    Good stuff, and those look like pistols, I'm shooting bull-barrel rifles. Maybe the danger is less? I've been shooting for 35 years and never encountered a squib, but I figure luck would have one happen suppressed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How about a suppressed bolt gun? :D

But then I can hear the bullet hit the backstop.

H&K actually rates their pistols to shoot out a squib.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    H&K actually rates their pistols to shoot out a squib.

I started a thread on this almost a zillion years ago. This is a good thing, especially in a defensive pistol. Under stress, most will not even be conscious of a squib when making several shots.

In a defensive situation taking fire, you are sure to be killed if you stop to try and clear a squib(which would be impossible at that time).
    Force on force you have no choice but to shoot through the squib in order to save your life. You gotta roll the dice.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Someone get these guys some hoppes.

Those bores look filthy.

I'm surprised that the guns haven't exploded. The top is a 357, the bottom looks like a blackhawk and the jackets don't look like 22 lr's.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Revolver has a gap for the pressure to get out.

But, in general, firearms are strong that many people think. NOT that I am suggesting testing the limits.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Most SV 22 will stay subsonic out of a pistol barrel.

long gun-not so much

Most hv stuff will stay subsonic out of a pistol. It's all I shoot through my pistols and I've never had a sonic crack. I save the SV ammo for my rifles as it's pricier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom