• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I find it hard to believe people pay$200-300 for a trust when this is supposedly legit...

(Those prices are from past threads I've seen with a trust written by a lawyer)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I find it hard to believe people pay$200-300 for a trust when this is supposedly legit...

(Those prices are from past threads I've seen with a trust written by a lawyer)

Didn't you answer your own question?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    You really only find out how good the trust is when you die.
    But then you don't post much after that so we never know

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    If your really that worried about $150 you shouldn't be getting into NFA items. They are very addictive and NOT cheap.

I'm not worried about $150. I just don't like wasting money if I don't need to. I also don't mind spending money when it's necessary.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm not worried about $150. I just don't like wasting money if I don't need to. I also don't mind spending money when it's necessary.

Then don't ask here.

Everyone that already paid far too much will fight you till the end on it.

I'll give you a hint, mine was $49.00 less than the one you are looking at. ;)

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    You really only find out how good the trust is when you die.

Or when your bargain-basement trust (that includes a disclaimer like this: "Gearhog.com and 199Trust are not law firms and do not provide legal advice, if you need legal assistance or are unclear of the laws in your state, you should contact a local lawyer before purchasing these documents.") gets challenged in court by a hungry lawyer who found a loophole.
    I believe firmly that, when it comes to anything firearm-related in the PRM, it's best to have a live attorney, whose practice is experienced in Maryland gun trusts, set up your trust. The additional hundred or two it may cost you up-front may save you tens of thousands in legal fees in a worst case scenario.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The above is assuming (wrongfully) that a lawyer can't screw the document up just as badly or worse than you doing it yourself.

That part has been covered here in depth.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Lets also consider value of the item put into a trust.

Look if you do it legally and there is an issue with the trust... 99% chance that the ATF confiscates the item and thats the end of the issue. Unless they are really out to get you, they will not file charges as its clear your intent was to try and follow the law.

So the question becomes what items will be in your $50 or $400 trust? Are we talking about one $200 22lR suppressor or a $20K machine gun. If the trust is badly done to the point of ATF confiscation, you want to be able to sue that lawyer for malpractice.... IF its worth your time. For a $20K MG, sure its worth it. For a $200 Suppressor... you walk!

No one buys a $2K safe for a Mosin Nagant. No one buys a $100 safe for a $20K MG...

Look at what you are doing and judge what level of security you need in your trust.

For me, I plan to have expensive MGs in them. So its worth $400 to get a Trust done as perfectly as I can hope to have it done. If you are buying a $200 suppressor, it seems pretty dumb to drop $400 on a Trust lawyer...

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Above makes sense to me (I am the one with a single rimfire can).

Although, some will be slightly offended at your Mosin dig.......:D

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Lets also consider value of the item put into a trust.

Look if you do it legally and there is an issue with the trust... 99% chance that the ATF confiscates the item and thats the end of the issue. Unless they are really out to get you, they will not file charges as its clear your intent was to try and follow the law.

So the question becomes what items will be in your $50 or $400 trust? Are we talking about one $200 22lR suppressor or a $20K machine gun. If the trust is badly done to the point of ATF confiscation, you want to be able to sue that lawyer for malpractice.... IF its worth your time. For a $20K MG, sure its worth it. For a $200 Suppressor... you walk!

No one buys a $2K safe for a Mosin Nagant. No one buys a $100 safe for a $20K MG...

Look at what you are doing and judge what level of security you need in your trust.

For me, I plan to have expensive MGs in them. So its worth $400 to get a Trust done as perfectly as I can hope to have it done. If you are buying a $200 suppressor, it seems pretty dumb to drop $400 on a Trust lawyer...

Well said sir, well said.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ...Although, some will be slightly offended at your Mosin dig.......:D

Haha... Well its not really a Dig. The Mosin is a fine firearm, just not an expensive one! I own one. Its by far my least expensive firearm at $65. I figured for $65 a non-referb M44 with mismatch bolt was just the ticket for me. It holds the honor of being 1 of 2 bolt actions guns! The other being a RC K98 for $200, which again, at that price fits me perfectly. I passed up those beater Enfields at $100 at the time.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The above is assuming (wrongfully) that a lawyer can't screw the document up just as badly or worse than you doing it yourself.

Absolutely. But if the lawyer screws up and you end up in court, the lawyer'll need to answer for their screw-up, not you. Further, the lawyer's far more likely to be able to correct the problem than you are. And, that, to me, is more than worth the price of admission. Additionally, having a lawyer (that you now know because they handled your gun trust!) well-versed in Maryland and federal firearm law will come in VERY handy if you ever find yourself in the dock having to defend your use of lethal force. I always recommend to students that BEFORE they acquire their first firearm, meet with a lawyer (if for no other reason than so they'll know who you are if you've gotta ring them at 2am from a police station) and put their card in your wallet, on your phone and in every gun case. That way, if the unimaginable happens and you're forced to defend your life with a gun, you won't have to fumble around looking for a lawyer; you'll know exactly who to contact first. Just sayin'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom